No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Plastic VS Metal #6165778
02/21/18 10:11 PM
02/21/18 10:11 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Not wanting to hijack another thread but would like to clarify when and when not to use metal/plastic around skunk essence, it boils down to the time and place mostly.

1st there are many grades of plastics some compounds will do better longer around essence the softer plastics like a cheap a bottle cap or the 3 for .99 funnels at the dollar store if they are in contact too long even a short time will melt like super or model glue on some plastics. The harder compounds of plastic hold up longer like the harder plastic bottle caps or a Bunn commercial filter type of funnel plastics. Unprotected or rust compromised steel lids will eat away in a short time also.

Paper lined caps or foil lined metal lids are my 1st choice for shipping essence as contact with the quill is unavoidable during shipping and plastic breaks on impact easier then a metal cap will damage. I use the same glass jars with metal lids for collection bottles many times over with no signs of damage but I switch to new bottles before shipping for better odor control and a fresh tight seal while it ships in whatever position it may ship in.

Now for aging skunk glands the plastic canning caps work great long term as the pods/essence is not touching the plastic and plastic will not rust of course, just make sure the container cannot be tipped over because in time the plastic will melt with constant contact and metal will also eat away so a glass container upright is your friend in the long run.

Another caution is only fill your pod jars 3/4 of the way or less with unground pods they expand A LOT once they start to work (warm up) a bit, you might get the lid off but it is not going back one once they start working and you open that jar.

Just never use plastic containers to hold any essence, glass is a must! I prefer metal caps for shipping or handing essence but plastic long term without direct contact will work and is a better choice over unprotected metal lids. Most 1/2 gallon or gallon metal lids don't have paper/foil liners. A 1/2 gallon ball canning jar with a plastic canning lid is great for working skunk pods.

My biggest nightmare is getting a call from a Postal Inspector telling me I have a box with 60oz of essence leaking at some major distribution center because one it will all get pitched and wasted and what will that cost me in the end.

Just my experience with the stuff just hate to see a guy spend his time collecting the stuff and end up with nothing in the end but do what you will with it.

My fear of plastic lids comes from lure bottles that had the plastic lids fall apart in my hands putting them back on while trapping, it could be the cold could be I over tightened them but it never happened with a metal lid.

Just my take on it. Good luck

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165818
02/21/18 10:50 PM
02/21/18 10:50 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Nice write up. Thanks

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165827
02/21/18 10:59 PM
02/21/18 10:59 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Great write up.
Yup mason jars for me stored in ammo cans

Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165829
02/21/18 11:01 PM
02/21/18 11:01 PM
Hutchinson KS
K
Kansas Rook Offline
trapper
Kansas Rook  Offline
trapper
K

Hutchinson KS
All good info Jerry. Like I said in the previous post my guy wants me to use poly caps. Is there any chance you can share a link to the site you get your bottles from? I usually harvest about 60 to 75 ounces a year and als hate the thought of having essence pitched in the shipping process.

I have started using “plasti-dip” to seal the lids before shipping and it seems to do great on helping with odor. I have used electrical tape in the past and the plastidip out performs it considerably. I also ship in a paint can with sand. Adds to shipping but it’s another precaution against accidental breakage.

Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165843
02/21/18 11:14 PM
02/21/18 11:14 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
My go to when shipping essence is snapple bottles. If I remember right, they are 16 oz and have a metal lid. Three will fit perfectly in a new gallon paint can, then fill around the bottles with kitty litter. Put the lid on and install the safty clips on the lid and your all set.

One thing more I do when filling the snapple bottles is, to put a square of press and seal film on the bottle, then grease with vasoline before tighting the lid down. I've sent by USPS and told them what was in the can, they said "you must have it packed well, I can't smell a thing"!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165902
02/22/18 12:57 AM
02/22/18 12:57 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
No problem if the guy wants poly for sure give it to him I totally understand just if the caps break it falls on you so that's the worry I would have. Just pack the heck out of it to protect the caps that is what I would do to be safe. The foil 4oz caps or paper caps come from https://www.sks-bottle.com you can buy a 144 or a thousand depending what they have in stock at the time. You just need to know the size cap for the bottles have, it should be a 22 or a 24 size cap. The bottles I will need to look at the place I got my last order from it was around $100 for 160 4oz Boston round bottles the Wheaton brand good ones.

The reason the lure makers I deal with like the 4oz bottles is it's easier for them to have it measured out and for me if I break a bottle I lose 4oz of quill if I drop a pint bottle I lose all of that then.

Paint cans are the ticket oil dry, kitty litter, dust dry dirt or sawdust all work well, I wrap every bottle in newspaper like the way lures come from a supply dealer to cushion them. Then I seal the lid with a paint primer in the threads on the plastic "cans" and the metal cans I put primer/paint in the lid groove then tape with duct tape once it's sealed. It sounds like a lot but a lot is on the line with the orders fate and the liability of the damage that could occur if it all goes bad.

Just know I was not trying to bust your chops in any way just thought the clarification of the options might be helpful to everyone that might be interested. The thing about essence is once that genie is out of the bottle it never goes back in the same way. LOL

I will find that place and get back to you I hope it's on the cases in the shed but they are shipped from the factory but I might have some paperwork in the boxes. If I can help you in any way just let me know.

Jerry

Last edited by Law Dog; 02/22/18 10:57 AM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165907
02/22/18 01:01 AM
02/22/18 01:01 AM
Hutchinson KS
K
Kansas Rook Offline
trapper
Kansas Rook  Offline
trapper
K

Hutchinson KS
Thank Jerry! I didn’t perceive any chop busting either. I enjoy the heck out of threads on here that I can take something from! Thanks again good stuff!

Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165929
02/22/18 01:59 AM
02/22/18 01:59 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Bottle place is Zoro don't see the Wheaton ones any more these are a little more by $15 but they ship free some places the shipping is as much as the case of bottles they are shipping. LOL
https://www.zoro.com/qorpak-bottle-120ml-glass-narrow-pk160-gla-00810/i/G5991614/

SKS link above ^^ is the place for the lids unless you have a place to pick up bottles and lids right from the companies distributor these prices are not bad you need just a few let me know I have 2 cases here more then I need at this time I can spare a few dozen.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6165970
02/22/18 06:27 AM
02/22/18 06:27 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
thanks for sharing learn a lot

Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6166101
02/22/18 10:20 AM
02/22/18 10:20 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Really Good information.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6166117
02/22/18 10:29 AM
02/22/18 10:29 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
I shipped about 60oz to ND a few years back it took a week to go the short trip, it was a very stressful time wondering where that box was and why it was not delivered on time. Just turned out the PO was sending it the scenic route for no reason. I was just worried that "genie" would work it's way out over time. I often wrap a package and put it on the clothes dryer to see if the wife complains then I rewrap it if she does. (She has a nose like a bloodhound!) LOL

Jerry Herbst
Re: Plastic VS Metal [Re: Law Dog] #6166149
02/22/18 11:03 AM
02/22/18 11:03 AM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline
trapper
Budfish  Offline
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
If your clients like the poly caps, just put one in the package and they can swap it when they get it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread