No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tractor or ATV (mowing and firewood) [Re: il.trapper] #6168904
02/24/18 06:05 PM
02/24/18 06:05 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Any machine that is really good in the woods won't be so good in lawn and vice versa, that said, a small tractor is a fair compromise. ATV? use your car or motor cycle they are just as well adapted to this kind of work.
Originally Posted By: il.trapper
skid steer.....most versatile "tool" you can get.
I haven't seen one adapted for lawn mowing, how does that work?

Re: Tractor or ATV (mowing and firewood) [Re: Forest] #6168945
02/24/18 06:55 PM
02/24/18 06:55 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
I live in NNY. Go 4 wheel tractor if you can swing it.

Re: Tractor or ATV (mowing and firewood) [Re: Forest] #6169018
02/24/18 08:08 PM
02/24/18 08:08 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I don't have an ATV but I really don't see any advantage of one over a Tractor.
I've got 2 tractors, one a good sized compact Deere (43 hp) with a grapple, bucket, flail mower and tiller. and a small old wheel horse ( think old lawn tractor) with a 14hp Kohler engine. Contrary to what others say here I use my old wheel horse in the woods for getting wood. Its smaller, easier to get around. I pull a small trailer that I load with wood (it'll carry more wood than the big tractors bucket). The wheel horse has chains mounted on it at all times. I have never got stuck with it with only 2 wheel drive. I have got it to where the tires will spin. I then drop it in low range maybe 1st or 2nd, let out the clutch and while the tires are spinning I jump off and give it a push. once its moving on its own I get back on and away I go.

And far as pulling logs out with the tractor, I don't like the idea of loading a log up with dirt then running a chainsaw thru it. I drop the trees and saw them up to lengths right where they fall. I drive the small easily maneuverable tractor right up next to the wood and load up the trailer and I'm on my way back to the splitter and stacking.

I can't imagine mowing a yard with the Deere. I do mow a couple of acres of field that I am restoring to tallgrass prairie at times but its not a delicate thing. No way I'd use the big tractor for my yard. Too many ruts and tearing up the turf.

On a side note if I had 3 acres of lawn I'd look at letting it go back wild and only mowing 1/4-1/2 acre of lawn at most.
I think yards are a waste of potential wildlife habitat, nothing so foolish as living in the country and having a yard that is several acres big. Better it is wildlife habitat, a couple of acres of well managed good habitat will support lots of rabbits. More fun in having a rabbit hunt on winters day than spending many a summer afternoon on a mower. And you get a rabbit dinner out of it too.

Re: Tractor or ATV (mowing and firewood) [Re: Dirty D] #6169043
02/24/18 08:35 PM
02/24/18 08:35 PM
Adirondacks NY
F
Forest Offline OP
trapper
Forest  Offline OP
trapper
F

Adirondacks NY
I agree, I think it is too big. But I think once we put a garden in and some berry bushes it will seem smaller.

Paul Smiths Forestry ‘22
Re: Tractor or ATV (mowing and firewood) [Re: Forest] #6169203
02/24/18 11:06 PM
02/24/18 11:06 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
One of each... but I'd say tractor

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread