No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's #6168595
02/24/18 12:09 PM
02/24/18 12:09 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline OP
trapper
yukonal  Offline OP
trapper
Y

MN
Guys, I've had a ton of pm's about this thread, after photobucket wiped out the pictures. So, I'm bringing it back from the dead with the original pictures.I've seen a few post's where guys are wondering if you can/how to adjust the pan tension on MB 550's. Out of the last dozen I bought, none were below 3#, and 9 of the 12 were above 4#. 4 of them were above 5# pan tension.

Most people are content with the way these traps come. But there is a LOT of room for improvement if you want to take the time. Pan tension, pan height, and amount of travel before the pan breaks can all be changed and improved just by cleaning up[filing] the night latched dog. By careful filing of three(3) angles on the nightlatched dog, you can realize worlds of improvement on this system. I held the dogs on these traps in a vice while I was filing them.

First of all, here are the three places you need to clean up. (And remember, go EASY on the filing! Three strokes with a sharp file does a lot.) I used a "fine" file for all my tuning.

Square this angle(#1) up to 90 degrees. This will allow the pan to drop in, and sit nicely. The more material you take off coming towards the rear of the dog, the higher the pan will ride. Here it is.

Now, the flat part(or angle#2) is the most important part to get right. This is where you can REALLY change your pan tension. Start by filing it flat, or 90 degrees from angle #1 where the pan drops down onto the dog. If after setting and tripping your trap(I used a trigger pull gauge to measure pan tension) you are happy with it, just leave it and go on to the last step. If you want to decrease pan tension, you can SLIGHTLY angle the file down...toward the end of the dog. These two pics show the file flat in the first, and slightly angled down in the second picture. If you change this angle to slightly down, it allows the pan to slide off the dog easier, thus the decreased pan tension.

And the last angle, or spot to adjust is the END of the dog. Every one of my traps benefitted by filing some material off the end of the dog. This adjustment determines pan travel before the trap fires. When you are adjusting this, you'll have the trap set and be setting it off in your hand. You'll "feel" the travel as you're tripping it. Sometimes it'll travel a bit, then stop, then travel a bit more before firing. Get rid of that "stop". That's where you want it to trip. Don't set it to go off on a "hair trigger". It's fine to have a small amount of travel, but only a small amount. If you take too much off the end of the dog, you'll have a hair trigger that will go off way to easy. Here's the file on the end of the dog.

Go slow and remember, once you take it off, you can't put it back on. For starters, just clean up all the angles(flatten them) on the night latched dog. Then you can go after angle #2 if you want to lighten the pan tension. One other thing...if you bend the dog down to decrease pan tension...it only takes a very small amount. Remember...by bending the dog down, you change ALL 3 ANGLES at the same time.

By fine tuning each angle one at a time, in the correct order, you can adjust these traps exactly how you want them. Here is how a properly filed, and adjusted, night latched dog looks.

If you take too much off the last two angles, don't start sweating and cussing. Just take the medium file, open up all the angles a bit, and start over. I've done this mod to 3 dozen 550's, and have every trap within 1/4# pan tension. I've had them set from 3#, down to 1-1/2# depending on what I'm trapping, and conditions.

550's are getting very popular, and this will help to get a very consistent pan tension. 4 coil 550's will need it too, but every adjustment is magnified. Go slow, and just make 2 or 3 strokes with the file, then check again. I've been using a Sullivans Trap Tester with great results. Wrap the shaft of the tester with duct/Gorilla tape, as the hose that comes with it doesn't last very long. Good Luck!

Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #6168635
02/24/18 12:45 PM
02/24/18 12:45 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
That will help a lot of people Yukonal.Thanks for taking the time.

Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #6168679
02/24/18 01:22 PM
02/24/18 01:22 PM
Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
YOTEBOY Offline
trapper
YOTEBOY  Offline
trapper

Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
Can we archive this !!!

Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #6168763
02/24/18 03:03 PM
02/24/18 03:03 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline OP
trapper
yukonal  Offline OP
trapper
Y

MN
The new dogs are alot better than the older ones. Tim told me they are now cnc machined. But still, angle #2 is the one to touch up to decrease pan tension, and the end of the dog for travel. 10 out of 12 will need to be touched up...if you are picky like me. wink

Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #6169111
02/24/18 09:47 PM
02/24/18 09:47 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
One more thing helps, de burr the contact point on the pan where the dog engages on the underside of the pan. I do the same but I start by bending the dog where the flat meets the round a little. Makes the jaw come up thus lowering the pan below the jaws more. Great thread Yukonal, Like Yukanal said take it slow, It doesn't take much file work.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #6190522
03/17/18 04:56 PM
03/17/18 04:56 PM
PA
Charles2 Offline
trapper
Charles2  Offline
trapper

PA
Thanks for the tutorial!!!! I tried this and it works perfectly.

Charles2Trap
Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #6190853
03/17/18 11:01 PM
03/17/18 11:01 PM
OK
J
JaredC Offline
trapper
JaredC  Offline
trapper
J

OK
When I'm using my sullivan trap tester I flip the loose jaw up and then fire trap with tester and this avoids trapping the tester.

Re: How To Adjust The Pan Tension On MB 550's [Re: yukonal] #7741377
12/11/22 10:16 PM
12/11/22 10:16 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Previous Thread
Index