No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Quail raising #6172513
02/27/18 08:45 PM
02/27/18 08:45 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline OP

Central Pennsylvania
We have 15 quail and my wife has been taking care of them since we got them last May. The other day my wife broke her arm and I became the person tending the quail. I guess I did something stupid. The pen we have them in has shavings on the floor. Today when I tended them I gave them some apple slices with the daily allotment of grain and I thought the apple slices will get really dirty on the floor so I put them on a Styrofoam plate. Hours later I told my wife what I did and she told me to get the plate before they eat it. The little buggers trimmed the edge of the plate the whole way around. Will this be life threatening?

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Quail raising [Re: Nittany Lion] #6172527
02/27/18 08:56 PM
02/27/18 08:56 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Styrofoam can occasionally kill chickens by causing an intestinal blockage or filling them up enough that they don't eat food and starve. An uncle of mine had some chickens die from eating styrofoam. That said, chickens frequently eat styrofoam and all sorts of worse stuff and usually live.

The quail are basically smaller versions of chickens, when it comes to their digestive tract. Hopefully they did not eat enough to harm themselves.

Keith

Re: Quail raising [Re: Nittany Lion] #6172697
02/27/18 10:48 PM
02/27/18 10:48 PM
MN--Far from the crowds
DTOM Offline
trapper
DTOM  Offline
trapper

MN--Far from the crowds
You should be okay. I had a whole johnny house full of over 100 bobwhite eat the pink foam insulation out of a wall. They all lived through that. They are aggressive little birds but mine are easy keepers and low maintenance.

DONT TREAD ON ME
Re: Quail raising [Re: Nittany Lion] #6173365
02/28/18 04:45 PM
02/28/18 04:45 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Nittany Lion  Offline OP

Central Pennsylvania
So far so good, they were hungry little birds this morning and all were accounted for. I don't know if all 15 nibbled on the plate or if it was just a few, they pretty much ate the entire rim of the plate. They really like lettuce.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread