No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: High Quality Beef [Re: Willy Firewood] #6171980
02/27/18 11:39 AM
02/27/18 11:39 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Quite a bit of marbeling is the right genetics as I remember from Animal Science 101. But if you want beef with a lot of omega 3 they need to be on pasture.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: High Quality Beef [Re: Willy Firewood] #6172297
02/27/18 05:34 PM
02/27/18 05:34 PM
Idaville, Indiana
M
MB750 Offline
trapper
MB750  Offline
trapper
M

Idaville, Indiana
In my opinion you can make any breed of cattle into good eating beef, but it takes grain & lots of it. I have fed out several cattle & several breeds of cattle it is how & what they are fed that makes the difference. I have fed Angus, Hereford, Holstein, Jersey, Scottish Highlander, & all kinds of crossbreeds in my day. Plenty of water, grass in the summer & hay in the winter & grain everyday, that is the secret.
Had a Jersey that was fed right outsell a Hereford. The Hereford was pretty darn good, but Ol' Yellow Hammer was finished like the packers wanted.

For years I have been tomstrap, now I must change because of the whims of the cyber world. NRA Life, ISTA Life, FTA Life, NTA Life
Re: High Quality Beef [Re: 330-Trapper] #6172498
02/27/18 08:28 PM
02/27/18 08:28 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
Originally Posted By: jwood
There's a big difference between grass fed and grass Finished. With the right genetics, finished on a grass-only diet gaining more than 2lbs/day during the finishing period, you can enjoy both the health benefits of grass fed beef and the taste benefits of marbling we all like in our beef.
I Do not believe those stats... You cannot marble a beef with a grass finish! Someone fed you a line!

330- I'll admit we haven't done it on our place yet, but are working on it. Below is an excerpt and link to an example of how grass finished cattle can grade choice, and even prime. It certainly is much more difficult, but it can and is being done. Again, takes the right genetics and really good management. Perhaps someday I'll have the chance to send you a few steaks smile

.......a lot grass-fed beef producers say their product gets the short end of the steak when it comes to grading. They’ll tell you that their grass-fed beef is leaner and healthier than grain-fed beef, but not as marbled, so for them to get a USDA Choice or Prime grade for their grass-fed beef is impossible. And frankly, for THEIR grass-fed beef, it probably is.

But it’s not impossible for our grass-fed beef to get a USDA Choice or Prime grade; we know that because ours does. In fact, Joyce Farms is one of only a few grass-fed beef producers in the country that elects to have our beef USDA quality graded.

Because we have cattle with the right genetics and we utilize superior raising and forage grazing standards, our grass-fed beef can offer the tenderness, the delicious taste and, yes, the marbling required to get a USDA Choice or Prime grade. Want proof? Just check this out...

https://joyce-farms.com/blogs/news/here-s-the-real-reason-most-grass-fed-beef-isn-t-usda-graded

Re: High Quality Beef [Re: Willy Firewood] #6172508
02/27/18 08:42 PM
02/27/18 08:42 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
About dark thirty joyce farms is probably pouring the corn to them.

I like corn fed beef and hogs both. Especially beef that gets to age 3 weeks before it gets cut up. The difference is amazing over the same grade of animals killed and cut up after twelve hours, which is what you get in grocery stores. Fat healthy animals in spite of all the crap being poured to us about them. The big processors just don't have the room to do anything beyond letting rigor run its course then go to cutting.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: High Quality Beef [Re: Willy Firewood] #6172535
02/27/18 09:04 PM
02/27/18 09:04 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I sold a steer to a guy a couple of years, who was going to finish it on corn. The same guy owns a small family meat market, that claims to sell meat from their own farm. He gave me a flyer, that said they only sold grass fed beef. I asked him about how he could call the beef grass fed, when he finishes them on corn and he pointed out that corn is a grass.

Keith

Re: High Quality Beef [Re: KeithC] #6172562
02/27/18 09:24 PM
02/27/18 09:24 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
"High Quality" is a very subjective term and can vary greatly from one individual to another or groups.
I do know the steer finishers near us like to finish colored "green cattle". That is they like 500-700 lbs. feeders that have been fed no grain prior to coming to their feed lot as those gain much faster daily gain than those younger cattle that have been grained earlier in their lives.

Bryce

Re: High Quality Beef [Re: Willy Firewood] #6172775
02/28/18 12:37 AM
02/28/18 12:37 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
I live in east central Ohio. I will follow up on the leads here. It seems the locals sell what their family and friends don’t want in order to pay for processing what they do want.

I would like to try some grain finished Kansas or Nebraska thick ribeye steaks - can it be really that much better than other beef? Somebody would just have to prove that to me. I challenge anyone to just try. Come on, somebody, please try. Tell me where to send the payment.

Thank you to everyone for the great discussion and the great ideas. Now I’m hungrier than ever for a great steak and a great hamburger cooked over wood coals. Best wishes. Willy

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: High Quality Beef [Re: Willy Firewood] #6173435
02/28/18 06:23 PM
02/28/18 06:23 PM
MN--Far from the crowds
DTOM Offline
trapper
DTOM  Offline
trapper

MN--Far from the crowds
We raise grass fed for the direct to customer/restaurant/commercial market. We have a cow calf operation and also finish steers out grass fed. We sell around 50 head a year and about 25 calves a year so not too big. Our customers, mostly urban or suburban foodies or chefs only want Black Angus and and want grass fed. Anything else and they balk. Our rural customers all want corn finished but pasture grown.

We finish our personal meat and most of our family and friends meat out on non gmo corn and pasture/hay/forage. Not that you can't grow excellent beef on grass but grain, especially corn just add something we like.

We also breed and grow out 100-150 hogs a year on pasture/forage/forest and free choice non gmo corn and grains.

I like both ways but corn fed is more consistent in a number of ways.

DONT TREAD ON ME
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread