No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6188904
03/15/18 10:14 PM
03/15/18 10:14 PM
Utah
Hover-Lover Offline
trapper
Hover-Lover  Offline
trapper

Utah
I'm a little late to the conversation but will add my video. I've posted this before, sorry if anybody is tired of seeing it, but we had so much fun shooting this run and I think it is pretty cool.

Boat is a Lowe 16x48 rebuilt, re-welded, new transom etc, but a very lightweight boat. As you can see, there are only two of us in the boat and it will run very shallow. As you would expect, the more weight, the more draft, the slower it runs.

Motor is a Mud buddy Hyper-drive (surface drive) 45 hp, with electric trim. Lots of power for speed or heavy loads (at slower speeds) primarily a duck hunting outfit but I fish and trap out of it as well. The updated version of this motor is $10,000 so that may be a little more than most people wanna spend which I certainly understand. (Spent $8,000 about 10 years ago, when I bought it new). This motor is a little too loud, but the new ones come with a much quieter muffler. When the time comes, I WILL purchase a new one.

Last edited by Hover-Lover; 03/15/18 10:24 PM.

Formerly Wyodeputy

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6189035
03/16/18 03:41 AM
03/16/18 03:41 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Cool vid.
When I was looking at a 30hp unit a few years ago, I contacted Mud buddy. Was going to be a coon/beaver motor. They told me their electric clutch wasn't going to work for me as the idling that trappers do eats them up. They had sold 2 units to rat trappers the year previous and both went through 3 clutches in a season. He said he was working on a different clutch system then (for guys who idle them), but I don't know if it every hit the market.

I went to the same builder that makes my rats boat units with a HD centrifugal clutch...Been bulletproof for me.

Of course your application seems much different.

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6189137
03/16/18 08:11 AM
03/16/18 08:11 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Great vid. I don't see my self using that for a rat rig, lol.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6190425
03/17/18 02:09 PM
03/17/18 02:09 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
always have a pushpole and a legal paddle....if stranded with conked out motor i think i can make better time with a pushpole than oars, oars take up space on a small rig, or should i say take up space where its needed for something else

If you are considering yourself to be someone of influence and importance, just try ordering someone elses dog around sometime.
Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6190428
03/17/18 02:14 PM
03/17/18 02:14 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
looks like a guy could run a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a cat line from a boat on that river

If you are considering yourself to be someone of influence and importance, just try ordering someone elses dog around sometime.
Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6190495
03/17/18 03:59 PM
03/17/18 03:59 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
My oars are strapped in under an oarlock on one side or the other.

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6191890
03/18/18 10:11 PM
03/18/18 10:11 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
what id really like to try is one of those joh boats they mount a jet ski jet drive in.....think that might be the ultimate marsh motor except for the weight

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: Hover-Lover] #6191894
03/18/18 10:16 PM
03/18/18 10:16 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
Originally Posted By: Hover-Lover
I'm a little late to the conversation but will add my video. I've posted this before, sorry if anybody is tired of seeing it, but we had so much fun shooting this run and I think it is pretty cool.

Boat is a Lowe 16x48 rebuilt, re-welded, new transom etc, but a very lightweight boat. As you can see, there are only two of us in the boat and it will run very shallow. As you would expect, the more weight, the more draft, the slower it runs.

Motor is a Mud buddy Hyper-drive (surface drive) 45 hp, with electric trim. Lots of power for speed or heavy loads (at slower speeds) primarily a duck hunting outfit but I fish and trap out of it as well. The updated version of this motor is $10,000 so that may be a little more than most people wanna spend which I certainly understand. (Spent $8,000 about 10 years ago, when I bought it new). This motor is a little too loud, but the new ones come with a much quieter muffler. When the time comes, I WILL purchase a new one.

do you ever hit rocks with that 45 hp? bet that would make a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a racket!....or does the skeg keep prop out of harms way?.....kinda looks like the Green River?

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6191915
03/18/18 10:40 PM
03/18/18 10:40 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
So...where is there a graveyard of them jetskis at ? I have a little 12' jon to playwith .

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: Rich Kaspar] #6194288
03/21/18 12:28 AM
03/21/18 12:28 AM
Utah
Hover-Lover Offline
trapper
Hover-Lover  Offline
trapper

Utah
Originally Posted By: Rich Kaspar
Originally Posted By: Hover-Lover

do you ever hit rocks with that 45 hp? bet that would make a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a racket!....or does the skeg keep prop out of harms way?.....kinda looks like the Green River?

Usually if its not sticking out of the water (or just under the surface) I can trim up to miss rocks, logs, etc. The prop will still push the boat half in / half out of the water. But sometimes I hit 'em hard. The rock guard helps a lot and If I'm lucky, the motor jumps outta of the water when that happens. I've sideswiped a few good boulders though. Rock guard doesn't help in those situations. Thanks

Formerly Wyodeputy

Re: Mud Motors-Surface Drive or Long Tail [Re: BBarnes] #6194345
03/21/18 04:12 AM
03/21/18 04:12 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
My surface drives run best (on plane) with about half (or more) of the prop out of the water as well. Makes for some pretty shallow traveling.... as seen above.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread