No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6186856
03/13/18 09:21 PM
03/13/18 09:21 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have to agree, the long trigger pull of a double action make them harder to shoot. As far as a .22 they will put a person under ground but it takes to long, I want them down right now. JMO but like all weapons practice, practice.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6186874
03/13/18 09:38 PM
03/13/18 09:38 PM
PA
F
fieldsy Offline
trapper
fieldsy  Offline
trapper
F

PA
My mom is a frail, weak little old lady. 3 years ago, she said she doesn't feel safe....... I bought her a North American Arms Black Widow.. 22 magnum, 5 shots in chamber... Small, light, easy to conceal... perfect for her.. We tried many pistols, often times she couldn't work the slide, so we stayed away from them...

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6186886
03/13/18 09:41 PM
03/13/18 09:41 PM
Kansas
R
Rcates Offline
trapper
Rcates  Offline
trapper
R

Kansas
Many bring up the issue of recoil and rightly so. However you can select different loads for reduced recoil. I run 148 grain wadcutters in my s&w j frame .38 for a number of reasons but a more mild recoil is the main reason. Allows me to get back on target quicker. I enjoy shooting my airweight. I would recommend reading the ballistic testing by Luckygunner for different revolvers. They have a ton of research with different ammo in various calibers. Helped me figure out which loads fit my different carry guns.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Rcates] #6186911
03/13/18 10:02 PM
03/13/18 10:02 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: Rcates
Many bring up the issue of recoil and rightly so. However you can select different loads for reduced recoil. I run 148 grain wadcutters in my s&w j frame .38 for a number of reasons but a more mild recoil is the main reason. Allows me to get back on target quicker. I enjoy shooting my airweight. I would recommend reading the ballistic testing by Luckygunner for different revolvers. They have a ton of research with different ammo in various calibers. Helped me figure out which loads fit my different carry guns.

OK MOST of you guys are missing the point or just don't read the whole post.
He wants a first gun for HIS WIFE !!!!

Why post what you carry and magnum this 444 auto that. SHE IS A NEW SHOOTER..... Don't care if it is less recoil wad cutters or no bounce bull stoppers, If you give a woman ANY 38 caliber to shoot the first time she shoots a gun they may drop it. When you guys got your first gun what was it?

Most was a 22 and some even a BB gun. Don't turn her off before she starts.....

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6186929
03/13/18 10:16 PM
03/13/18 10:16 PM
Kansas
R
Rcates Offline
trapper
Rcates  Offline
trapper
R

Kansas
He also said she "needs it for her job" since she "goes into some dicey neighborhoods". Getting her some experience with a gun first is obvious. Maybe he will weigh back in at some point.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6186943
03/13/18 10:30 PM
03/13/18 10:30 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
I think she should shoot some 38 revolvers and a 9mm , she may think she wants a revolver but may like an auto.

take her to a range that rents buy a box of 38 and a box of 9 and try some different guns.

THIS!!! ^^^

If her life depends on it, test drive as many as she can. And when she finds one she likes... Practice.

Mike

Last edited by Mike in A-town; 03/13/18 10:33 PM.

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6187242
03/14/18 09:50 AM
03/14/18 09:50 AM
Western N Y
2labs Offline
trapper
2labs  Offline
trapper

Western N Y
My wife can't work the slide on the autos so she opted for a revolver. She carries a SW642 hammerless in 38 special. Great little gun.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: 160user] #6187296
03/14/18 10:42 AM
03/14/18 10:42 AM
NW Wyoming
W
wyote Offline
trapper
wyote  Offline
trapper
W

NW Wyoming
Originally Posted By: 160user
32 H&R magnum is tough to beat in a J frame Smith.

I agree with 160. I would probably look for a 327 mag and let her shoot the 32 H&R in it. If you need to step it up then shoot the 327 mags.

No way I would start her out with a 41 or 44 mag. Although shooting the 44 special in the 44 mag might work for you

For every law thats passed, alittle freedom dies
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Calvin] #6187306
03/14/18 10:51 AM
03/14/18 10:51 AM
Virginia
A
acrews145 Offline
trapper
acrews145  Offline
trapper
A

Virginia
Originally Posted By: Calvin
The worst thing to do is have he shoot something that scares her. I'd start every woman with a .22 personally.

I also carry a .22 a lot of the time. Ask any level 1 trauma doc how deadly the .22 round is. Unless you're rough neighborhood is filled with bears, a .22

Some of those little light revolvers sure pack a kick. I'd steer clear of those, personally.

A .22 does not have enough knock down power for defense. I have seen ppl get shot point blank in the head with a .22 and not realize they were shot. The round is eventually deadly from resultant infection or the bouncing around in the chest cavity, but not enough to stop the original intent. It depends on ammo too. Guy last week took 3 9mm to the chest and walked away. Any woman who shoots should be familiar with her gun, able to load it, disassemble and clean it, and be comfortable with it. No matter the caliber, it's ultimately what she likes and is confident with.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: 2labs] #6187316
03/14/18 10:56 AM
03/14/18 10:56 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: 2labs
My wife can't work the slide on the autos so she opted for a revolver. She carries a SW642 hammerless in 38 special. Great little gun.

that's why I think the best advice is people try several and see , Wives come in all shapes sizes and colors

my wife is 6 foot and wrestles 55 gallon barrels of DEF into the backs of trucks for her wracking the slide on a 40 was no issue.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: acrews145] #6187343
03/14/18 11:32 AM
03/14/18 11:32 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
for a carry gun some words of wisdom

you want the smallest gun you can shoot well so that you carry it but the largest gun you can easily carry so that you can shoot it better

carry guns are all about compromise , we measure them in 10ths of an ounce and fractions of an inch an 1/8 inch may make one gun work for you and another uncomfortable

no handgun is a death ray obviously some better than others , shot placement is huge part of why practice is so important it may take more than one or two or 3 rounds. learn to fire 2 or 3 rapidly then assess.
Are you good to make exit or is the threat still a threat?

your goal is to stop the threat not kill anyone.

a threat is over when they have disarmed and surrendered , run beyond where they could return and be a threat , or are incapable of further action against you or you have found a way to make exit and left the threat behind.

I can make a bulls-eye shooter a heck of an actin pistol shooter in a short time because they have mastered sight alignment, sight picture and trigger press so I encourage people to get good at shooting that plain round target nice and in the black , then speed it up and speed it up make a good enough ring on the target an 8 inch circle around the center start working on present from low ready and fire and get good at that , present fire one , present fire one , present fire 2 until presenting from low ready is smooth and your on target . if at any point you go outside the good enough ring on the target slow down figure out what your doing wrong.

hammering away at a target with full magazines is practice but uses a lot of ammo for the good you get , load 6 in a mag or even less get good practice changing mags , go back to low ready as if you had just pulled from the the holster so if you have a hammer and it would be down in your holster start with it down. if you have a safety and it would be on in your holster start with it on. the only reason your not going back to the holster every time is because it takes time to re-holster a loaded gun and often it puts your gun not downrange save it for later and be careful re-holstering. practice holster present with and unloaded gun off the range for now.

dry fire practice is a great way to learn trigger control , aim on a small object and with an unloaded gun in a safe direction , sqweeeeeeeze concentrate on the target and not moving the sights off the target for the whole squeeze.

controlled pairs take a little time to learn but it is a timing function of your trigger finger , aim once shoot twice once you have your timing down you can land 2 shots about 2 inches apart in under a half second , get used to aimed shots , then figure out what you need for controlled pairs , then learn target transition , move the eyes then the gun , that way yoru moving the gun to your eye and not over swinging

when your on target , got your controlled pair timed right , got target transition down , it is time to add movement a good place to start is a drill where you have a target at say 25-30 feet steel if you can is great like a 10 inch round plate because you get instant feed back make two lines or set up barrels or something to set right and left , you fire a round when you reach each side and you move back and forth keeping the gun safely pointed down range you can start this smaller and do 2 barrels stacked on each other like your behind a big tree or column for cover move side to side fire a round form each side a the target , start by making hits , then speed up , and up until you miss , then work on it more so that you get hits but are going as fast as you can.

there are tons of drills to make you a faster better shooter out there.

if your looking for more structure , community and fun to this , IDPA , action pistol , USPSA are all great places to compete and give you good meaningful practice but you need to get to a certain level of basic shooting first.

safety first understanding what we do and why we do it for safety , then just learning to shoot targets , then with speed , then with motion then motion and speed.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/14/18 11:45 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Rcates] #6187509
03/14/18 02:38 PM
03/14/18 02:38 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo

A 148 gr HBWC loaded backwards, with a moderate powder charge makes an awesome self defense load

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: jbyrd63] #6187514
03/14/18 02:40 PM
03/14/18 02:40 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: jbyrd63

OK MOST of you guys are missing the point or just don't read the whole post.
He wants a first gun for HIS WIFE !!!!

Why post what you carry and magnum this 444 auto that. SHE IS A NEW SHOOTER..... Don't care if it is less recoil wad cutters or no bounce bull stoppers, If you give a woman ANY 38 caliber to shoot the first time she shoots a gun they may drop it. When you guys got your first gun what was it?

Most was a 22 and some even a BB gun. Don't turn her off before she starts.....

Based on what you are saying, a 22 Magnum might be the answer. Only problem with this caliber is its stopping power. I don't disagree with anything you've said, it all makes perfect sense. It's just that the caliber is a little light for a carry gun.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6187574
03/14/18 04:08 PM
03/14/18 04:08 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted By: TraderVic
A revolver will not fail ever.

I was with you on most everything else but this

revolvers do fail everything fails it is just that they fail differently and depending on the gun or user possibly less.

Pete,

Any firearm can fail, however - in very close quarters a revolver is better suited. Aside from the target shooting, whatever a person chooses to conceal carry, it had better be dependable as you are betting your life on it.
I've seen both auto's and revolvers - perform flawlessly shooting IDPA. So.....if one doesn't maintain their handgun properly, yes they can fail.
If you jam an auto into an assailants abdomen, clothing, etc., the slide will not fully close (or cycle) after the first shot.....now you have a jam and at a very bad time in your life.
I have both revolvers and auto's and shoot all of them.

Regards, Vic

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6187583
03/14/18 04:25 PM
03/14/18 04:25 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
trapper 7 the issue with 22mag in a handgun with a 3-4 inch barrel , there is almost no difference in actual velocity neither had time to get up to speed and burn up the powder in that short barrel so it might be the difference between a 900fps .223 projectile and a copper plated .224 1000fps projectile , one is louder and marginally faster 72 fpe vs 89 fpe

a 158gr wad-cutter at 700fps has 172fpe while a 40gr projectile at 1000fps has 89fpe

but if you run a 125gr hydra-shock 38spl at 850fps from a 3 inch barrel you have 201fpe

I think starting any new pistol shooter with a 22lr pistol , I really like the Ruger 22/45 MKIII or the browning buckmark, we have an 80 something year old lady and her son in our club , she enjoys shooting the buckmark pistol very much and she shoots well, that is about all her arthritic hands can handle.

so if 22 is all you can handle then it is better than nothing. but a 38spl is a good sight better even if it is wadcutter loads if you can manage.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/14/18 04:29 PM.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6187586
03/14/18 04:30 PM
03/14/18 04:30 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Some folks should not carry a handgun for protection... smile

Pepper spray is underrated.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Marty] #6187590
03/14/18 04:32 PM
03/14/18 04:32 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Marty
Some folks should not carry a handgun for protection... smile

Pepper spray is underrated.

But who wants snot all over them! LOL sick

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6187592
03/14/18 04:33 PM
03/14/18 04:33 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Spray and go instead of spray and pray.... laugh

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6187594
03/14/18 04:34 PM
03/14/18 04:34 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Any thoughts on the 327 Federal ? This is an interesting smaller revolver cartridge. I read where this was originally designed/intended to be a self defense round. My reloading manual describes this high pressure round as having excessive muzzle flash. Aside from this.....kind of an interesting round.

Re: What Caliber Revolver for a Woman ? [Re: Canvasback2] #6187599
03/14/18 04:36 PM
03/14/18 04:36 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Young lady who manages one of the gym's I go to got a 9. I stopped in her office for a minute soon after she got it and she says she has something to show me......and she reaches into her bag, pulls if out and sweeps me... sick

Told her I generally shoot people who point a gun at me but I would let her slide if she never did that again...

laugh

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread