No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: slydogx] #6186594
03/13/18 04:55 PM
03/13/18 04:55 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted By: slydogx
I am a junkie when it comes to tools. I have had to stop myself many times from undertaking new hobbies (which require new tools) because things just get out of hand if I don't set limits LOL.

I do wish I could have a re-do at some of my tool buying though, as I wasted a lot of money and effort buying junk in my early years.

One thing about good tools is that they are like traps and firearms... you can pass them down to your kids and/or they'll be worth something if you need to liquidate assets or if the SHTF.
Yep, I learned early on to buy the best tools you can afford. I have some cheap stuff but mostly good names. Some of it was painful to buy but not as pricey as buying junk a few times to replace broken stuff.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186598
03/13/18 05:00 PM
03/13/18 05:00 PM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline
trapper
btomlin  Offline
trapper

SC Iowa
I have the next best thing to a tool addiction....I have a neighbor with a tool addiction that also likes to use them!!! cool

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: btomlin] #6186601
03/13/18 05:05 PM
03/13/18 05:05 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Originally Posted By: btomlin
I have the next best thing to a tool addiction....I have a neighbor with a tool addiction that also likes to use them!!! cool

i need to get me one of them.

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: pcr2] #6186613
03/13/18 05:16 PM
03/13/18 05:16 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
You already have one. cool

Eh...wot?

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186652
03/13/18 05:55 PM
03/13/18 05:55 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I don't think I do....but my S.O. says I need help in a bad way.

I do have two sheds, a 24x40 and a 40x60, to keep them all in though......is that bad?

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186686
03/13/18 06:43 PM
03/13/18 06:43 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
No addiction, tho I've had lots of tools in my time and recently moved so I decided to dump the majority.
Let go 2 lathes, a prototrak mill, 2 welders, oxy-act. tank set, hydraulic press, drop band saw, 80 gal. air comp., large assot. of drills, taps, reamers, end mills and specialty machinist/toolmaker stuff. Basically my own mini Tool shop.

Also had lots of auto related stuff, 2 post lift and lots of specialty tools.

I had a nice sized 30 x 50 garage heated with hydroponic in floor heat, lift etc.

Its was nice having the stuff but in the end I did not really NEED any of it.
Now I've got a much smaller workshop (24 x 36) with stuff I use alot and really don't miss all the other stuff.

I see all my tools/toys/cars/guns/fishing stuff as a "tool" and if I don't us them regularly I really don't have to have them so I've been getting rid of them. Its a very satisfying feeling have less stuff to care for/store. Life is simpler, I like it that way.

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186691
03/13/18 06:47 PM
03/13/18 06:47 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted By: Finster
Originally Posted By: slydogx
I am a junkie when it comes to tools. I have had to stop myself many times from undertaking new hobbies (which require new tools) because things just get out of hand if I don't set limits LOL.

I do wish I could have a re-do at some of my tool buying though, as I wasted a lot of money and effort buying junk in my early years.

One thing about good tools is that they are like traps and firearms... you can pass them down to your kids and/or they'll be worth something if you need to liquidate assets or if the SHTF.
Yep, I learned early on to buy the best tools you can afford. I have some cheap stuff but mostly good names. Some of it was painful to buy but not as pricey as buying junk a few times to replace broken stuff.

I'm going thru should I spend the big bucks or not on a Miter box right now.
I sold my old delta that only could cut a 2 x 6 and am looking for something better/nicer.
Am looking at a Festool miter box but for $1400 I don't know if I should pull the trigger.
Its really a nice tool and if you ever used or have any Festool stuff you'll agree its really nice stuff.
My wife never cares, I'm more conservative on spending than she is.

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Dirty D] #6186706
03/13/18 06:58 PM
03/13/18 06:58 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I have a DeWalt 12" Dual Compound Sliding Miter Saw for the last twenty years. At the time I bought it it tested as the most accurate against seven or eight different brands.

It's a job site tool and has taken a beating but can still cut crown moulding flawlessly. I can't speak to the quality of the new ones without doing the research but they sell for about $600.00.

Festool makes some really sweet tools but, in my opinion, part of the high price is paying for the name.

Eh...wot?

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186710
03/13/18 07:00 PM
03/13/18 07:00 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Another thing on tools. I find at times depending upon project/job, sometimes its cheaper to buy the tool, do the job yourself rather than hiring out.

I bought a rototiller for 3 pt hitch on my tractor last fall to put in the new yard around new house.
I could hire out for approx 3K. to have yard cleared of rocks, tilled, seed bed prepped, planted and covered with straw.
I was looking to rent tiller but nobody locally had a tiller that would fit my tractor. Lots of 3-4ft tillers.
I could of rented a tiller and a skid steer for about $750/day plus $100 for pickup and delv.
Interesting it cost more to rent a tiller than a skid steer.
Reasoning was lots of maintenance on tillers.
So I bought a 6 ft tiller for my tractor, used it for about 3 days and will need it for a couple of days this spring then later this summer I'll sell it.
If I even get 1/2 of what I paid for it I'll be way ahead of the game.

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186719
03/13/18 07:05 PM
03/13/18 07:05 PM
Pa
C
coalminer Offline
trapper
coalminer  Offline
trapper
C

Pa
Have addiction to estate auctions, tools I buy there, oh my. I do love hammers, hatchets, and axes! Real sucker for Coleman lanterns and stoves!

My heart belongs to my family.
My body belongs to my work.
My soul belongs to the woods.
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Lugnut] #6186725
03/13/18 07:10 PM
03/13/18 07:10 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted By: Lugnut
I have a DeWalt 12" Dual Compound Sliding Miter Saw for the last twenty years. At the time I bought it it tested as the most accurate against seven or eight different brands.

It's a job site tool and has taken a beating but can still cut crown moulding flawlessly. I can't speak to the quality of the new ones without doing the research but they sell for about $600.00.

Festool makes some really sweet tools but, in my opinion, part of the high price is paying for the name.

Yea, my Delta was about 25 years old. Cast Iron base, aluminum fence. Very basic miter saw. It was a good accurate saw but its limitation on size of 2 x 6 sucks.

I used contractors and other helpers miter saws on the job when we built our house. All 3 of them sucked when it came to square cutting. Seems to me that you had to have a feel for particular miter box as there was small amounts of slop in them so if you "pushed it one way you'd get a decent cut, you push it another way and it would be off. If that makes any sense to you.

I bought a electric Festool sander and the vac. that works with it to polish the stone hearths in my new house. I was using old air sander first and job site compressors could not keep up. And the dust that it made was terrible. The Festool electric and vac system was the bomb, hepa vac, no dust didn't have to spend time cleaning up. Have used it for lots of wood working stuff since then and I'm tickled pink with it, very nice tools. Very well thought out. My wife loves the vac, she wants to keep it in the house so she can use it. I may have to buy one for her now.

Last edited by Dirty D; 03/13/18 07:11 PM.
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186757
03/13/18 07:48 PM
03/13/18 07:48 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I have a couple of useful tools.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186781
03/13/18 08:11 PM
03/13/18 08:11 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Like Scuba, I have a couple of useful tools.

I prefer to not rely on others. So i build and repair things myself. So, I have a few tools around. Most everything gets used heavily. I put a lot of wear and tear on my stuff but I do take good care of things. My tools last a long time.

I have found that rechargeable batteries for cordless tools last much longer if stored fully charged in a comfortable temperature. Not in a hot garage in the summer or in a freezing garage in the winter. I keep all of my rechargeable batteries in a tool bag and put them in a heated / air conditioned storage room when not in use.

I recently went through the barn and garage and sorted out items that I no longer use and will not use in the foreseeable future. Today, I took a trailer load to a consignment auction. Hopefully the stuff will bring fair prices. Time to let others get some good stuff. I have nobody to leave my stuff to when I am gone.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: btomlin] #6186784
03/13/18 08:16 PM
03/13/18 08:16 PM
east TN, USA
harleydparts Offline
trapper
harleydparts  Offline
trapper

east TN, USA
Originally Posted By: btomlin

Ya, my friends have a friend like that.

Not as bad as I could be, not as good as I should be.
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: lee steinmeyer] #6186795
03/13/18 08:26 PM
03/13/18 08:26 PM
east TN, USA
harleydparts Offline
trapper
harleydparts  Offline
trapper

east TN, USA
[quote=lee steinmeyer], like english wheel, shrinker/streatcher, planisher,roll former! [/quote
I don't know how to use any of those but I lust, oh how I lust.

Not as bad as I could be, not as good as I should be.
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186798
03/13/18 08:27 PM
03/13/18 08:27 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I have about any tool that can be used to work wood.
My favorites are the very old traditional woodworking tools. Broad axes, froes, draw knives, a shaving horse, a pedal powered sharpening wheel, beam drill, and many others. I love using those old tools.

I am always in the market for old spoke shaves and such things.

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186806
03/13/18 08:37 PM
03/13/18 08:37 PM

K
krispcritter
Unregistered
krispcritter
Unregistered
K

Don't forget meat processing: slicer, band saw, knives, paper and plastic wrap holder/cutter, grinder, sausage stuffer..........

Hello, my name is Kris and I'm a tool addict.

Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Willy Firewood] #6186813
03/13/18 08:44 PM
03/13/18 08:44 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Willy Firewood
Like Scuba, I have a couple of useful tools.

I prefer to not rely on others. So i build and repair things myself. So, I have a few tools around. Most everything gets used heavily. I put a lot of wear and tear on my stuff but I do take good care of things. My tools last a long time.

I have found that rechargeable batteries for cordless tools last much longer if stored fully charged in a comfortable temperature. Not in a hot garage in the summer or in a freezing garage in the winter. I keep all of my rechargeable batteries in a tool bag and put them in a heated / air conditioned storage room when not in use.

I recently went through the barn and garage and sorted out items that I no longer use and will not use in the foreseeable future. Today, I took a trailer load to a consignment auction. Hopefully the stuff will bring fair prices. Time to let others get some good stuff. I have nobody to leave my stuff to when I am gone.

Ditto on the batteries. I have a 4 port charger in the house... Charges the batteries, shuts off, then turns on after a period of time and does a maintenance charge.

I also keep a small basic tool kit in the house for light household projects.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186862
03/13/18 09:25 PM
03/13/18 09:25 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
I guess I am not addicted, after 44 years as a moldmaker I sold a lot of tools since August, yesterday shipped an 84 piece gauge block set, the end of selling. I still have two tool boxes and a roller cabinet from work to change into home tool storage, and the money I made from selling precision tools will pay for parts for the 1946 bulldozer I am restoring. My brother filled up a two car garage with stuff from my Dad, he had been a contractor, if I need that stuff I will use his, and he was also a toolmaker, never has sold anything.

Born twice, die once
Re: Anyone else have an addiction to tools? [Re: Finster] #6186914
03/13/18 10:04 PM
03/13/18 10:04 PM
southern ontario canada
C
coonwild Offline
trapper
coonwild  Offline
trapper
C

southern ontario canada