No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Craigs List , what's the scam? [Re: ~ADC~] #6189034
03/16/18 03:31 AM
03/16/18 03:31 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
There are a lot of different scams people try to run through craigslist. No reason to not use Cragslist; you’re just responsible for your own judgement (isn’t that the way we like it?).

So here are my Craigslist rules:

Selling:
Don’t trust anything that’s too good to be true. No one is going to ship a rusty lawnmower across country, or pay you extra.
Deal local and deal in cash.
Choose the terms and the meeting place, bring backup if you feel like it. People DO get robbed making craigslist deals, especially vehicles.
You can use your phone number in craigslist ads if you type it in the text box that’s made for it. That will hide it from robots, but not scammers. If you don’t want your number out there then use the blind email.
DON’T reply from your personal email, especially if they ask you to. Use the Craigslist blind email setup.
DON’T bother replying to messages that are clearly spam. They might just be fishing for valid contact info.
If a check is justified (say for larger items), don't let anything go until the check CLEARS, not just when it credits your account. Not the same thing. A bank may credit the money to your account, then the check could bounce 2 days later and they’ll take the money back. That’s how a lot of the check scams work. Verify with the bank.

Buying:
See above, and be the good guy. Contact directly, don’t be weird, bring cash smile.
Don’t trust anything that’s too good to be true.
Seller usually picks the meet, but use your judgment. Buyers get robbed more than sellers, especially if it’s a large cash sale.
Never tell them you’re carrying cash until you’ve seen the goods are are comfortable you’re not getting robbed. I always say the money’s in the truck and I’ll get it after I see the item.

Just use your head and take precautions. Craigslist is a fantastic resource that I use regularly. Also, if you see ads that look fake, you can flag them for removal.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Craigs List , what's the scam? [Re: ~ADC~] #6189176
03/16/18 08:59 AM
03/16/18 08:59 AM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
The old rule for buying is if it is too good to be true it is a scam. Now I see something that might be OK I ask where to come see it and when. Mostly they ask for more of My information to get in touch with me, a scam, flag it as prohibited on craigslist.

Born twice, die once
Re: Craigs List , what's the scam? [Re: ~ADC~] #6189435
03/16/18 12:53 PM
03/16/18 12:53 PM
Western NewYork
A
arrowsmith Offline
trapper
arrowsmith  Offline
trapper
A

Western NewYork
Deal Local, Deal Cash. Don't ever give personal info. There have been robberies, kidnapping, and even murders linked to Craigslist. It has gotten so bad in places that a local police department here has offered up the use of their lobby and parking lot as an exchange point for craigslist transactions. I was going to buy a canoe from a guy last summer and when I suggested he bring it to the police station where I would be waiting with the cash, the communication dried up. Buyer, and seller, beware.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread