Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#619804 - 03/07/08 12:52 PM Where does the trap go?
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
This is a post that I hope will be around for a long time, because much can be learned from it for beginners as well as those of us with a good many seasons under our belts.

The concept of course, (for those of you that can) is to post a picture of a finished set, with the title question.

Some of course,(such as dirtholes) will seem obvious but not always. Different trappers set a hole set up differently...some to the left, some to the right, the dog placed in this direction or that...Up against the hole, back 9"...(You get the drift).
Other sets such as flat sets,post sets, rake ups, mounds, trail sets etc. may not be as obvious, as many trappers set a set differently than I would and still have the same results.

I learned a long time ago just because I set a trap and/or snare one way, doesn't mean it's the "right" way for everyone. I've seen sets that I didn't think would work only to find out differently. Well, shows what I know! :D

Finally, there doesn't have to be an answer from the person that post it...and that really is the beauty of it. The more trappers chime in, as to how they would set it up, the more everyone can learn from it...even us old timers! ;\)

#620085 - 03/07/08 03:01 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: LT GREY]
possum skinner
Unregistered

Right or Wrong ... these type of sets seem to work for me ;\)

Maybe y'all can find something helpful in all of this

Post set for fox

Dirt hole set for fox or coyote ... leaning more towards coyote ... these pics show multiple stages and set location

Dirt hole for fox ... trap positioned tight to the hole and only slightly offset

One rock flat set ... trap positioned out from rock one maybe two inches and slightly offset from center

Double vertical pocket/hole set ... good for otters at crossovers and settling pools at the ends of culverts ... trap is positioned slightly offset in front of holes ... this set works great where flucuating water levels can put your typical sets out of commission

Horizontal double pocket/hole set ... similar to the above but holes are dug beside each other angleing upwards and towards the middle ... trap is positioned directly between the two holes with jaw fairly tight to the bank

Beaver feed set ... trap positioned slightly offset to the approach

Two rock flat set ... good for fox, yotes etc. ... trap positioned between the two rocks with dog facing towards one of the rocks ... many variations of this set ... as in the positioning of multiple rocks etc. ... either in a circle or a line ... very effective set

#620180 - 03/07/08 03:45 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: ]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Thanks Possum Skinner!

Next time, don't tell us where the trap is! \:\)

#620283 - 03/07/08 04:47 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: LT GREY]
mossyback Offline
trapper

Loc: Coeur d Alene Idaho
when you guys post your pictures would you please also include what type of attractant is used with the set. Such as urine, bait, gland and so on. that would help put us in the right direction. thanks

Skinner, those are great pictures. could tell us what attractant you use at each set?

Edited by mossyback (03/07/08 04:48 PM)

#620455 - 03/07/08 06:37 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: mossyback]
lucky dad Offline
trapper

Loc: g-burg Pa
awesome pics you guys.very informative.i agree with mossyback, would like to know the attractant. LT GREY still havent got them pics for you yet but i will soon.

#620461 - 03/07/08 06:39 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: lucky dad]
lilcoontrapper92 Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
i beleive this is archive material! thanks for the good pictorial info possumskinner

#620470 - 03/07/08 06:42 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: lilcoontrapper92]
buckeyetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Medina Ohio
Very nice helps alot. Hope to see more in the future!

Whitetail Freak

ANDY

#620616 - 03/07/08 07:36 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: buckeyetrapper]
trapper al Offline
trapper

Loc: carter county tenn
great post,thanks guys

#621135 - 03/08/08 06:01 AM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: trapper al]
possum skinner
Unregistered

LT - guess I misuderstood ... oh well ;\)

oooops ... reckon I screwed everything up by giving too much info ... hate when that happens

dirt holes - bait , lure gland or food/curiousity or both , sometimes urine sometimes not

single rock/object flat set - gland lure or urine ... sometimes both

post set - gland lure or urine ... sometimes both

double hole sets - bait (i like softshell crabs and sheds) ... sometimes food curiosity lures (the obvious flashy eye appeal of these sets draw in the critters ... too much lure just attracts coons ... if you're targeting otters ya don't want coons)

beaver feed sets - peeled sticks ... sometimes lure , something like Pauls Woodchipper works great

two rock / multi rock flat set - gland lure and food/curiousity lure ... sometimes urine

*gland lures - fox, coyote & bobcat
*urines - red fox and bobcat

*** NOTHING I DO IS SET IN STONE ... GENERALLY I'M ALL OVER THE PLACE ... USUALLY JUST GOING WITH WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR WHERE AND WHAT I'M DOING ***

#621249 - 03/08/08 08:11 AM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: ]
lucky dad Offline
trapper

Loc: g-burg Pa
thanks possom skinner.this is a great post.

#621403 - 03/08/08 09:43 AM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: lucky dad]
mossyback Offline
trapper

Loc: Coeur d Alene Idaho
thanks Skinner, I just wanted to be re-assured that i was doing somewhat right.

#621418 - 03/08/08 09:52 AM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: mossyback]
coon trapper101 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
thanks possom skinner!!

Gophers 6
Moles 5

#622163 - 03/08/08 07:02 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: coon trapper101]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Here's an old standby that a lot of young and old trappers have used, including myself. Basically a trail set with a stepping stick that is blocked down using rocks from the rockpile that the trail was cutting through. I just moved a few rocks left or right and the trail was complete. Area closest to the bottom of the screen is 6" lower than the ground in the forground. Which side does the trap go and why? Granted, we can't say which way the animal will come. Trap on a drag? Trap on a slide wire? Two traps on a drag? How would you do it? ;\)

#622357 - 03/08/08 08:15 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: LT GREY]
trapper al Offline
trapper

Loc: carter county tenn
on the low end?

#622517 - 03/08/08 09:14 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: trapper al]
BigBadBear Offline
trapper

Loc: Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info. Can you show some more please.

#622538 - 03/08/08 09:25 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: BigBadBear]
Terry Offline
trapper

Loc: White Sulphur Springs, MT
Best post on here in days. Thanks much.

#622571 - 03/08/08 09:33 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: Terry]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I sincerely hope more experienced trappers will add to it, as we can all learn from each others experience.

#622597 - 03/08/08 09:50 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: LT GREY]
Snuffy Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Pa
Maybe a trap on BOTH sides of the stick? Just a thought

#623027 - 03/09/08 09:51 AM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: Snuffy]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
LT Grey and Possum Skinner Great Posts!

LT first pic with blackened snag...I would make a grass set at the lower left of the snag...the bottom if you will. I would position the dog side towards the post. Trap would be below ground level...bedded solid. Lightly covered with cut up grasses/weeds for covering. I don't like to drag at most of my sets but looking at the surrounding vegetation I would..8 ft chain with three prong grapple hook.
I've had the best luck using subtle lures at these sets IF I'm on location. Urine or small dab of gland...or even a light rub of a dropping on backing.

#623806 - 03/09/08 06:26 PM Re: Where does the trap go? [Re: MChewk]
possum5676 Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
Ist thing id do is fergit the burned log, right where the two track hits the narrow spot id put 3 dirtholes on one side and 3 dirtholes on the otherside, dump a tablespoon of past bait in the holes and go, next trip in this area would have 5 possums, id remake them all as dirtholes and put a call lure in the holes, next trip more of the same until all the sets were dirty and then pull and set 2 new ones with gland lure on a rock and grassed over about ten feet from that charred log, then in a couple days i would leave.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie