No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6200894
03/27/18 12:11 PM
03/27/18 12:11 PM
Southern Indiana
H
Hoosier71 Offline
trapper
Hoosier71  Offline
trapper
H

Southern Indiana
I have heard it would be a 200 bobcat limit for the whole state. If that's the case, you could take 200 out of a couple of counties in southern Indiana. They are that plentiful. 200 a year isn't going to stop or for that matter, slow down, their gradual increase in range.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: Hoosier71] #6200904
03/27/18 12:25 PM
03/27/18 12:25 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Huntall, don't know you, and trying not to judge, but your mindset is exactly what has this great nation involved in such a sh*t show. The libs, just like yourself, believe if they don't like something no one should be allowed to have it period! Greed and envy don't sit well with true sportsman, if allowed a season, what is stopping you from driving a couple hours and setting traps out for a long wknd like many others in other states do?

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6200935
03/27/18 12:58 PM
03/27/18 12:58 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Ill support IN. I don't live there and doubt I'll ever trap there but if I want to I can trap with the same regs as a resident. Why wouldn't every trapper support that?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201009
03/27/18 02:54 PM
03/27/18 02:54 PM
Central Indiana
D
D Cobb Offline OP
trapper
D Cobb  Offline OP
trapper
D

Central Indiana
This is a perfect example of what I was trying to say. If it doesn't benefit me I don't care. People better start caring as Scott and Sharpsman said the opposition jumped on the band wagon. I know of people in Don Wolf's area that catch cats in numbers. I know of one guy that stopped coyote trapping because he constantly caught cats. I wonder how many quail and pheasant a Bobcat can eat?
It's the same ole thing as guys that won't join a state or national trapping organization, but want their help in a time of need. It's what I call selfishness.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201026
03/27/18 03:15 PM
03/27/18 03:15 PM
Indiana
S
Sharpsman Offline
trapper
Sharpsman  Offline
trapper
S

Indiana
Originally Posted By: D Cobb
I know of people in Don Wolf's area that catch cats in numbers. I know of one guy that stopped coyote trapping because he constantly caught cats. I wonder how many quail and pheasant a Bobcat can eat?

Or how many Turkeys and hatchlings that could migrate to north central Indiana?

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: TC1] #6201029
03/27/18 03:22 PM
03/27/18 03:22 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Originally Posted By: TC1
Huntall, don't know you, and trying not to judge, but your mindset is exactly what has this great nation involved in such a sh*t show. The libs, just like yourself, believe if they don't like something no one should be allowed to have it period! Greed and envy don't sit well with true sportsman, if allowed a season, what is stopping you from driving a couple hours and setting traps out for a long wknd like many others in other states do?

This is the last time I'll post on this thread because they always go to far.

You say my way of thinking is liberal but in fact you're acting liberal.

I'm not doing anything that prevents you from accomplishing you goal of a getting season.

But you're saying I should help you do something I don't agree with and i should think like you and if I don't I'm wrong for it. Now isn't that how liberals think.

I mean seriously if i don't think like you do i don't care about trapping and I'm not a real sportsman lol . Some people go straight to acting liberal as soon as someone disagrees with them.

Like I said your not losing something your trying to gain something but when I don't want a season so I might be able to trap them in the future I'm selfish.

Last edited by Huntall76; 03/27/18 03:25 PM.
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: Sharpsman] #6201033
03/27/18 03:24 PM
03/27/18 03:24 PM
Central Indiana
D
D Cobb Offline OP
trapper
D Cobb  Offline OP
trapper
D

Central Indiana
Exactly Sharpsman... Another thing that I can't understand about the lack of people at the meetings. Where was the NWTF, Indiana Deer Hunters, Indiana Bowhunters, Pheasants Galore, Quail Unlimited just to name a few. All of these groups would benefit as well, not just the trappers and hunters.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201042
03/27/18 03:34 PM
03/27/18 03:34 PM
Central Indiana
D
D Cobb Offline OP
trapper
D Cobb  Offline OP
trapper
D

Central Indiana
We may have lost something, an opportunity. When will we get another if it's needed ? I don't know the area of the state you live. But I've talked to some that know of cats being caught in small numbers in the northern part of the state

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201064
03/27/18 03:59 PM
03/27/18 03:59 PM
SW Indiana
P
Patokariver Offline
trapper
Patokariver  Offline
trapper
P

SW Indiana
I live in SW Indiana, I see what our cat population is doing and I have released 14 cats over the past two seasons. I also attended the meeting at Spring Mill and voiced my opinion. At this meeting it was approximately 2/3 for it and 1/3 against. The proposed season that the DNR has will not even slow them down. This is a start, and that's what matters!!!! I am also aware that bobcat do not have a sustainable population in all of the counties but that does not mean we should have to wait because some don't have an equal opportunity. There is still some counties in Indiana that really have to manage their doe numbers because lack of population but others you can kill eight. The otter season has operated in this limited county format since the season opened and seems to be doing well. And, if I'm not mistaken the turkey season as well as deer(before my time) started this way. So my main point in this conversation is the DNR is doing the best they can with the info they have and it is their job to do so. As for as the reports the DNR gets on catches, road kills, and sightings is way under the actual number of what is being reported because the new has worn off and nobody thinks anything about a road kill or catching one in a trap anymore. I have spoken with the Conservation Officers in my area and they are tired of helping release them and picking up mangled road kills. If we don't do something to control the population the Toms will start kill the young and disease will set in and really hurt the population that we want to see expand.

The way i see it is, if you are not for it your against it and the LAST thing we need is trappers fighting trappers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erny's Feed & Outdoor Supply
Holland, IN (812)536-3044
Maker of RBG traps
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201084
03/27/18 04:30 PM
03/27/18 04:30 PM
Indiana
S
Sharpsman Offline
trapper
Sharpsman  Offline
trapper
S

Indiana
Exactly Patoka.The opposition claims it's all about money and a thrill.To many people don't realize it's about managing a resource.Which was my exact comments at the input meeting

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201276
03/27/18 09:31 PM
03/27/18 09:31 PM
Indiana
cattails Offline
trapper
cattails  Offline
trapper

Indiana
Something else to consider... The biologist that I spoke with believes that our northern bobcats are coming out of Michigan. He doesn't think the bobcats would migrate through the corn belt region south of us.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201307
03/27/18 09:57 PM
03/27/18 09:57 PM
IN
trapperbless Offline
trapper
trapperbless  Offline
trapper

IN
For us trappers' sake, I hope a season doesn't open before December 1st. Otherwise the deer hunters will put a hurtin' on the quota before the trappers even have a chance to catch any prime cats. Nearly every deer hunter I know in the southern part of the state wants one mounted or tanned, and will be more on the hunt for cats than deer. Hopefully hunting season for them will be after gun season giving equal chance for hunting or trapping one.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201321
03/27/18 10:04 PM
03/27/18 10:04 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
There are not even close to enough bobcats to have a season in northern Indiana. And central Indiana is mostly Tipton Till Plains, and has consequently very little to no suitable bobcat habitat due to primarily agricultural land use patterns. There is unlikely to “ever” - at least in the scope of time we can concern ourselves with - be a sustained population of bobcats in central Indiana. The Northeastern portion of the lakes region has mediocre to fair bobcat habitat, and the population has been small but apparently consistent since I was kid in the 1980’s. Not enough to worry about or trap, but stable enough to be called present. I don’t expect them ever to be harvestable densities around here except maybe a few pockets.

Southern Indiana is a whole different deal. I routinely hear about bobcats from guys like Don Wolf and Patokariver who realease them so often they discuss the best techniques for not harming the animal (I hear bobcats take a delicate touch).
I strongly support a season in areas where they are plentiful. I just don’t understand why any trapper would not want to allow others with harvestable populations to make use of the resource. What’s going on here?

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201379
03/27/18 11:07 PM
03/27/18 11:07 PM
Indiana Linton-Greene County
Matt(rat killer) Offline
trapper
Matt(rat killer)  Offline
trapper

Indiana Linton-Greene County
Well I made the first public comment meeting. Hunters/ trappers were represented well. Some of those against a season were at the least radicals commenting on their false information & propelling the PETA/ HSUS banter. Had some folks there but didn’t voice their opinions about the subject. They were a waste of chair space imo. They had no voice....this the time to speak up for the bobcat season.....

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201410
03/28/18 12:11 AM
03/28/18 12:11 AM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
After several ours researching and a few more on the phone with a trusted friend that is a DNR property manager up north,I must admit I was uneducated on the subject and admit that there are at least 15 to 20 counties that should have a controlled number of bobcats taken from them so I do apologise for my ignorance of this subject.

That being said if they're any future meetings on this subject someone please pm me and I will attend.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201468
03/28/18 06:30 AM
03/28/18 06:30 AM
Worthington, IN
S
Scott T Offline
trapper
Scott T  Offline
trapper
S

Worthington, IN
Huntall, Thank you for doing some research. I don't think those who where opposed at the meeting will be changing their mind. The DNR will trust their research and we will get a season.

Looks like he needs another year;-)
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6201527
03/28/18 08:57 AM
03/28/18 08:57 AM
Hillsdale, IN
yoteskinner Offline
trapper
yoteskinner  Offline
trapper

Hillsdale, IN
I live West Central Indiana. We have had bobcats here for over 30 yrs. We have good terrain and food supply. We saw a population explosion in cats several years ago. I know trappers that catch several even though they try like heck to avoid them. Even as far as not setting up areas because of the cats.
As far as the meetings, it seems as the schedule is not very cooperating for guys working long days and having to travel a ways to attend.
The DNR needs to look at it more like they did the otter season and not just a few counties south. Bobcats exist up the Wabash corridor.

Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: Huntall76] #6201556
03/28/18 09:48 AM
03/28/18 09:48 AM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
Originally Posted By: Huntall76
After several ours researching and a few more on the phone with a trusted friend that is a DNR property manager up north,I must admit I was uneducated on the subject and admit that there are at least 15 to 20 counties that should have a controlled number of bobcats taken from them so I do apologise for my ignorance of this subject.

That being said if they're any future meetings on this subject someone please pm me and I will attend.

This is good to see

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: yoteskinner] #6202214
03/29/18 12:24 AM
03/29/18 12:24 AM
Indiana
Trapper Kyle Offline
trapper
Trapper Kyle  Offline
trapper

Indiana
[quote=yoteskinner]I live West Central Indiana. We have had bobcats here for over 30 yrs. We have good terrain and food supply. We saw a population explosion in cats several years ago. I know trappers that catch several even though they try like heck to avoid them. Even as far as not setting up areas because of the cats.
As far as the meetings, it seems as the schedule is not very cooperating for guys working long days and having to travel a ways to attend.
The DNR needs to look at it more like they did the otter season and not just a few counties south. Bobcats exist up the Wabash corridor.

Exactly. Parke and Vermillion Counties for sure. I can’t speak for anywhere else in this part of the state. Just in the last 10 years they have exploded. I have a female and her 3 young and a large assuming male that frequent right behind my house. Everyone that I know who run trail cams get them all the time. A 1 per quota and couple hundred throughout the state wouldn’t hurt a thing.

Last edited by Trapper Kyle; 03/29/18 12:25 AM.

Member NTA,ISTA, FTA
Re: Indiana Bobcat Season [Re: D Cobb] #6238343
05/12/18 07:44 AM
05/12/18 07:44 AM
Central Indiana
D
D Cobb Offline OP
trapper
D Cobb  Offline OP
trapper
D

Central Indiana