ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Homemade snake traps #6202529
03/29/18 12:53 PM
03/29/18 12:53 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has thought of this. Has anyone thought of making or rigging up a snake trap using used mouse bedding and a low wattage light bulb to entice snakes into glue board type of traps? The bedding would be the smell attractor and the low wattage light bulb would be the heat source for the snake to key in on as well. Combined in a snake glue trap I would think it might work. Of course there would have to be a heat shield to prevent any chance of fire, but I'm talking about a small bulb about the size of a robins egg. Thoughts? I only do a couple snake jobs a year and most are where people find a snake and call me and I'm able to just catch the snake and go. I've never had to use any glue boards yet, but have been reading up on them just in case the need ever arises.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Homemade snake traps [Re: wormbobskey] #6202558
03/29/18 02:02 PM
03/29/18 02:02 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Having had success, often, with blind/scented sets along walls or blocking down tween doors, I think you're overthinking it.

Mine are made with either a pizza box/something similar, or downspout, depending on the situation. Regional Flat Rate B boxes are good too, and FREE from USPS, but must be ordered online.

I put mouse bedding in the middle of my sticky pads to begin with, too.

I hear ya though Worm, like a night lite bulb...certainly might help.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Homemade snake traps [Re: wormbobskey] #6202606
03/29/18 03:15 PM
03/29/18 03:15 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I have been accused of over thinking things at times. Not very often, but its been known to happen. I was just trying to think of ways of keying into a snakes hunting traits to his disadvantage. Heat and smell are about all I could come up with that would be easily duplicated. I suppose I could put a mouse in a jar in the center of a room and surround it with glue boards. How's that for not over thinking? LOL

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Homemade snake traps [Re: wormbobskey] #6203196
03/30/18 09:03 AM
03/30/18 09:03 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Learn where and how snakes travel and hunt then blind set them. I have done that very successfully for many years now.

Structural snakes are quite predictable. I catch most of the larger snakes elevated over head in the rafters and along the sill plate areas where the food sources are and along all the routing points of the plumbing and wiring thru the house or building. Many times old or new sheds will help with preferred routing points for trap placement. The other locations you can develop with some practice.

Reading the sign and understanding their behavior is most important to be successful at snake work. Not much unlike trapping any other animal.

Setting up for good forced interception can be a challenge at times to position your traps properly for the best effect amongst the rafters, wiring and plumbing maze. After that is done it is a waiting game.

Sight and smell are a snakes key means of locating meals once they are into their feeding areas. Patience is a good attribute of theirs as well. Getting in front of them is the most important element in my experience. Trail setting requires no enticement just good placement and forcing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread