No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trapping instruction in the west [Re: nvwrangler] #6203398
03/30/18 03:28 PM
03/30/18 03:28 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
I gotta jump in on this. A lot depends on you goals & present skill level. I think the year was 1961, Paul L. Failor Supervisor Predator Control Section of the PA Game Commission did a talk & demo on red fox trapping that I attended. Dirt hole, bait lure & urine or IMO the same with no hole. That's all you need to know. You can easily learn set construction from YouTube. Go make a 100 sets. Some will catch something. Learn location from this and repeat. By the time you get 100 sets on location you will have learned everything you need to know. This might take awhile. Only took me a few decades to get it.

One of the training guys can speed up your learning curve. Especially if you can find one willing to take you along on his line near where you want to trap. Over the pas 50 years I've seen dozens of the known guys do demos & I have bought a 100 or more DVD's. No secrets left to tell. Just go make sets.

When my schedule allows I will get some training, either ride with a big gun or go to a school. My goal is just to learn what I can and see how they do it on their turf. Don't know of anyone I would need to pay to do it in the BIG WOODS where I trap. Just got an idea, I'm going to contact a few guys that are good and offer them a free lunch to come and share some conservation & secrets. BTW I went to CoyotU & FTA's Trappers College.

In support of what Mercer said I have eight trail cams and need to get them out. Mine will go on holes with some lure in them.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 03/30/18 03:37 PM.
Re: Trapping instruction in the west [Re: nvwrangler] #6203402
03/30/18 03:39 PM
03/30/18 03:39 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
I'm sorry Andy. What I wrote can be read a few different ways. It was not intended as a slight to you or any of the folks named.

ML

Re: Trapping instruction in the west [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6203430
03/30/18 04:53 PM
03/30/18 04:53 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Andy, Lesel and Gary are all doing demos at the FTA at Marshfield if you want to head east. I will post the complete line up soon.

Bryce

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread