No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Milk prices [Re: corky] #6211874
04/08/18 01:51 PM
04/08/18 01:51 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Large grocery marts and convenience stores many times sell milk as loss leaders to bring in customers to buy the higher profit items. Most retail groceries operate on 2-5% margins and most times dairy is sold as a loss, which is why it is always in the back so customers go through the aisles to buy the high profit packaged items.
You can drink a gallon a milk a day but that does not impact that fluid milk sales have dropped every year for over 40 decades. Manufacturing of dairy products is where the profit is and also the jobs in the industry.

As to dairy farms being the way they are today in the USA. We want to buy $1.90 per gallon milk it is not going to be produced by a family milking 60-70 cows that need to buy health insurance, live, save for children costs and for retirement etc. We have actually added cost to the total production system and the response by good herd managers is to produce very high levels of milk production per cow, milk a lot of cows with less labor and invest in capital that will help them with cash flow issues. That has made the modern dairy farmer a manager of money and people instead of cows and land and that increases investment per cow and debt to finance those investments. People who are not good at managing money or people can not be successful long term when dealing in an industry that is demanding those skill sets.

Why have the very huge wealthy companies not in agriculture been reluctant to buy out huge dairies to control the market? It is because they know that it is fluctuating, fickle market with very, very narrow supply demand risks and inherently a very low return and thus they choose not to invest in areas where real money can be lost instead of just book money. Many wealthy businesses and individuals are investors in farms for tax loss purposes but a certain return and very good tax treatment on losses. That will soon be gone with a 21% tax instead of 35%. Not nearly the need to invest in losses when your reward for doing so has dropped by 50%.

Bryce

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6211893
04/08/18 02:37 PM
04/08/18 02:37 PM
Ticonderoga,NY
saquelie Offline
trapper
saquelie  Offline
trapper

Ticonderoga,NY
You guys are lucky I just paid 3.40 a gal at Wally World. Three grandsons will have that gone by noon tomorrow.

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6211904
04/08/18 02:53 PM
04/08/18 02:53 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
There has been a glut of milk here in Michigan.

Enough that last fall they were dumping 2 out of 3 tankers.

Its a shame.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6211949
04/08/18 04:07 PM
04/08/18 04:07 PM
northern Alberta
357xp Offline
trapper
357xp  Offline
trapper

northern Alberta
Boy u folks have cheap milk, 4 litre jug( just a bit over a us gal) is over 6 bucks up here. Gettin myself a milk cow.

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6211965
04/08/18 04:39 PM
04/08/18 04:39 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I understand the Almond industry (almond milk) is having a negative effect on milk producers as well. Another reason I won't buy almond milk....or really almond water. nope.

Re: Milk prices [Re: DWC] #6212033
04/08/18 06:45 PM
04/08/18 06:45 PM
Iowa
P
PaulB Offline
trapper
PaulB  Offline
trapper
P

Iowa
Originally Posted By: DWC
I heard walmart has their own farms? Is that why they are 1.40 a gallon vs the small local grocery at 2.75 or 3.00? Same with eggs. Wally world is about 50 cents and local is 2 bucks.

$3.00 + for a gallon of skim milk (white water) in spirit lake

Re: Milk prices [Re: Calvin] #6212034
04/08/18 06:46 PM
04/08/18 06:46 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Soybean and almond milk is about 3% of the market and most that buy those varieties also buy regular milk. The issue is way too much milk in the USA and the World. Huge glut of milk in states like MI that does not have the processing capacity for their production, the same with IA, TX, KS and other states. Milk if going into states like WI with processing capacity sometimes $2-$4 below the mailbox price rate and that is really creating issues for producers all over.
It costs roughly 200-350 million to build a large scale processing plant today and few if anyone wants to invest in the processing facilities when we see issues of being able to market the product.

Another major error was made when most areas like the USA and New Zealand calculated that the European Union would drop production a lot when their large subsidies were lowered and or dropped, but they actually expanded production and now sit on enough dry milk powder to cover the whole export worldwide for a year without adding any product. It may well be a while before this situation sorts out and many farmers will find it tough this spring to cashflow all the crop inputs to produce their needed feed for their herds.

Bryce

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212099
04/08/18 08:09 PM
04/08/18 08:09 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I use to eat and sleep dairy. When I was 21 I owned and milked a 100 cow herd. For many years everything I did or wanted to do involved dairying. Now there are too many variables. Use to be cycles of High and low. You catch the cycle right you made money. In the last 17 years if you hit one cycle right 4 others went lower. Regulation in its self stopped more than most are aware.

Now you can virtually have heifer calves if you choose with each calving. Cows can now be genetically tested to tell you which ones to keep and which ones to sell. Tests for feed stuffs are so accurate now that production potential is maximized much easier than ever before. All input costs are just so unpredictable.

I have a friend that is a dairy cattle dealer in the Midwest. He told me recently, it is tougher now or in the last 17 years than he ever dreamed it would be. The reason that stood out to me so much is that I have never read about or met anyone with his abilities and affect on the dairy business that he has had in my lifetime.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212144
04/08/18 08:57 PM
04/08/18 08:57 PM
pa.
J
jarentz Offline
trapper
jarentz  Offline
trapper
J

pa.
I have a friend that just sold his dairy cattle.He was milking 3 times aday
and said it wasn't worth it.

jarentz
Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212149
04/08/18 09:02 PM
04/08/18 09:02 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Alot of little guys get replaced when a farm has 30,000 cows milking on it. And were do they find the cheap labor to run a farm with 30,000 cows milking? South of the border of course. Pay a bunch of immigrants 9 bucks a hour and crush out the little guys to line the pockets of a few fat cats. Sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212150
04/08/18 09:05 PM
04/08/18 09:05 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
From the USDA

"The pricing of milk in the United States is part market-determined, and part publicly administered through a wide variety of pricing regulations."

Is this a good system? Doesn't sound like it. If it was market driven then at the lows the inefficient producers would be forced out leaving efficient producers. If the system helps to keep the inefficient around then when the price goes up there is a flood of supply, prices crash. What to keep a more steady higher price, let the inefficient ones die.

I had heard awhile ago that in a nut shell there is too much supply in the Milk market. Is this true?

The Wife and I don't drink dairy milk, she drinks Almond milk, me nothing. We occasionally will buy whole milk for cooking. I do like my Ice Cream, the good stuff, Breyers, made with real cream. I like it too much

Last edited by Dirty D; 04/08/18 09:08 PM.
Re: Milk prices [Re: bblwi] #6212163
04/08/18 09:17 PM
04/08/18 09:17 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted By: bblwi
Large grocery marts and convenience stores many times sell milk as loss leaders to bring in customers to buy the higher profit items. Most retail groceries operate on 2-5% margins and most times dairy is sold as a loss, which is why it is always in the back so customers go through the aisles to buy the high profit packaged items.
You can drink a gallon a milk a day but that does not impact that fluid milk sales have dropped every year for over 40 decades. Manufacturing of dairy products is where the profit is and also the jobs in the industry.

As to dairy farms being the way they are today in the USA. We want to buy $1.90 per gallon milk it is not going to be produced by a family milking 60-70 cows that need to buy health insurance, live, save for children costs and for retirement etc. We have actually added cost to the total production system and the response by good herd managers is to produce very high levels of milk production per cow, milk a lot of cows with less labor and invest in capital that will help them with cash flow issues. That has made the modern dairy farmer a manager of money and people instead of cows and land and that increases investment per cow and debt to finance those investments. People who are not good at managing money or people can not be successful long term when dealing in an industry that is demanding those skill sets.

Why have the very huge wealthy companies not in agriculture been reluctant to buy out huge dairies to control the market? It is because they know that it is fluctuating, fickle market with very, very narrow supply demand risks and inherently a very low return and thus they choose not to invest in areas where real money can be lost instead of just book money. Many wealthy businesses and individuals are investors in farms for tax loss purposes but a certain return and very good tax treatment on losses. That will soon be gone with a 21% tax instead of 35%. Not nearly the need to invest in losses when your reward for doing so has dropped by 50%.

Bryce

Very good interesting post!
First of all farming is a business, just like any business if you can't manage money you should not be in business.
Is there any room in the farming business for a small guy who maybe milks, makes cheese and sells the cheese. Cutting out as many layers of the supply chain as possible. Every level of the supply chain adds cost with usually no benefit to the end consumer. More of a high end artisan cheese. My thought is to roll as much into one business so that while you are not the cheapest but you offer a product and a quality that the big guys don't.

Re: Milk prices [Re: Dirty D] #6212173
04/08/18 09:25 PM
04/08/18 09:25 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
The amount of red tape and regulation make it incredibly difficult to be a small scale end product direct to consumer farmer. There will always be niches and the creative,driven and intelligent will succeed but in the mean time most will be plowed under by mega corporations who are fed by govt subsidies and cheap immigrant labor.

Re: Milk prices [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6212286
04/08/18 11:20 PM
04/08/18 11:20 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
There are always opportunities in any business at any time by anyone able to focus on what they want and how to get there. Think out of the box and I mean way, way out of the box. The typical dairy farmer that would like to milk 100 cows in a small parlor, own 200 acres and buy the remainder of their feed and hire one full time employee can not typically get into that type of operation today. That farm may be worth about 3 million dollars with a modest line of machinery, equipment, buildings, home, land, cows and heifers. The debt service alone on 3 million with even our current low rates would be about $ 500 per day just to get out of the original debt in 20 years. Then you need to operate the farm, replace equipment, live, save and retire.
The best way to get started would be to find a niche market in an area with enough people and enough income to support local, maybe organic food and produced or processed on site. Licenses are an issue but don't let that stop you if you know what you can and are willing to do. Most farmers don't choose to be involved in production, processing, marketing and or spending time with customers so that is a niche that can work at reasonable entrance costs. Many farmers are a lot like trappers in their mindsets. They only like doing what they like to do and anyone even a customer if they look too citified or don't get up at 5 AM are just lazy people that get under their skin. Learning how to market to the customer is the key to being able to establish a sustainable business that you can grow with and into.

Bryce

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212471
04/09/18 09:21 AM
04/09/18 09:21 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
Alot of little guys get replaced when a farm has 30,000 cows milking on it. And were do they find the cheap labor to run a farm with 30,000 cows milking? South of the border of course.

That ceased in Feb. From what I understand they have lost their market.

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212508
04/09/18 09:59 AM
04/09/18 09:59 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
My dad, we milked cows on the farm before I went into 5th grade, tried milking cows for a farm when I was 18, didn't work out, hated the job, tried a couple years later on another place, that sucked also

Re: Milk prices [Re: Kirk De] #6212554
04/09/18 11:02 AM
04/09/18 11:02 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted By: Kirk De
Quote:
Alot of little guys get replaced when a farm has 30,000 cows milking on it. And were do they find the cheap labor to run a farm with 30,000 cows milking? South of the border of course.

Naw all sorts of immigrants still doing farm labor legal and illegal. To protect the farms they hire sub contractors now so Mr Reds dairy hires Elmexicano milkers and cattle care, Elmexicano supplies the labor and Mr Red writes the owner of Elmexicano a check every month and Elmexicano hires the labor without covering them with work comp or paying taxes on them. If the GOVT comes down on Mr Red he just points to Elmexicano and if they GOVT comes down on Elmexicano they have no assets other than a old junk van typically. Mr Red gets rich and grows and the little guys get pushed out.

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212604
04/09/18 12:11 PM
04/09/18 12:11 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
USDA price supports got us in the mess we are in today. States with the most lenient manure laws will attract the big dairies. That and water is why we are getting all the California dairies here in Wisconsin.

Re: Milk prices [Re: AJE] #6212640
04/09/18 12:52 PM
04/09/18 12:52 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Kirk De
Quote:

Naw all sorts of immigrants still doing farm labor legal and illegal. To protect the farms they hire sub contractors now so Mr Reds dairy hires Elmexicano milkers and cattle care, Elmexicano supplies the labor and Mr Red writes the owner of Elmexicano a check every month and Elmexicano hires the labor without covering them with work comp or paying taxes on them. If the GOVT comes down on Mr Red he just points to Elmexicano and if they GOVT comes down on Elmexicano they have no assets other than a old junk van typically. Mr Red gets rich and grows and the little guys get pushed out.

I was talking about Mexico, not the U.S.

Re: Milk prices [Re: Kirk De] #6212729
04/09/18 02:11 PM
04/09/18 02:11 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Mexico is a major importer of US dairy products lets hope that NAFTA trade talks don't get boiled down into an immigration battle. We import a lot of beef from Mexico also.

Bryce

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread