Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
One man hand log saw #6213450
04/10/18 08:30 AM
04/10/18 08:30 AM
Southern MI
A
Aaron.F Offline OP
trapper
Aaron.F  Offline OP
trapper
A

Southern MI
I am looking for any recommendations for a one hand log saw. I do not cut much wood but I am interested in starting to use a hand saw, it would mostly be for hard woods.

60% of the time it works every time.
Lifetime NTA Member
Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6213468
04/10/18 08:49 AM
04/10/18 08:49 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

There are several to choose from on the Internet. There are Scandinavian saws, more expensive. There are saws sold in America by different outdoor companies, and some are China-made, some are the Scandinavian made, and there might yet be one that is American made. I have an old American made one. A red squirrel pounced on the handle and chewed it up, probably for the salt from my hands. So I have to replace that. Otherwise, an occasional good quick sharpening with a small file will keep the good steels running for a long time

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6213519
04/10/18 09:45 AM
04/10/18 09:45 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
I've been thinking about getting this one, its a Thomas & Finn, made in Sheffield England. Its obviously for bigger wood and Im assuming thats what you're looking for?? A silky saw is hard to beat for smaller stuff.
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/push-stroke-crosscut-saws.html

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6213552
04/10/18 10:27 AM
04/10/18 10:27 AM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Yukon - I use the Bob Dustrude folding saw on all my wilderness adventures. It is a rugged and well designed little thing. Best piece of outdoor gear I can think of.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: PAlltheway] #6213564
04/10/18 10:45 AM
04/10/18 10:45 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: PAlltheway
Yukon - I use the Bob Dustrude folding saw on all my wilderness adventures. It is a rugged and well designed little thing. Best piece of outdoor gear I can think of.

Yes those are great saws! Bob is quite the guy too I hear. I started using the Silky saws not long ago and if you havent tried them, they are worth the money. I've never had a saw that cut so well. Mine is the bigboy folding saw, and it will outcut any bow saw I've ever used.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6213639
04/10/18 12:34 PM
04/10/18 12:34 PM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
Check out "Crosscut Saw Company" of Seneca Falls, New York for good, US made, one man crosscut saws.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6213816
04/10/18 02:58 PM
04/10/18 02:58 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

My son asked me why we have crosscut saws. "What if we run out of gasoline for the chainsaws?," I asked him back.
We did a bit of inevitable back-and-forth until he admitted that he himself could only get gasoline from a gas station, whereas his old man has plenty of gas and extra gut to saw up a big pile o' wood by himself, and even better with help. Hope I live long enough to watch this kid reach his prime.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Spek Jones] #6214595
04/11/18 10:38 AM
04/11/18 10:38 AM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
Check out "Crosscut Saw Company" of Seneca Falls, New York for good, US made, one man crosscut saws.

well, spek, i did just that, thank you. i read through the sparse website, including sending an email, and the vague response and then the non-response i got to my followup were not encouraging. moreover, their website really lacks the specifics i'd expect and want. from what i can tell now, these are likely imported parts that are assembled in the usa.
there are bona fide hand-made, really high quality steel hand saws available from scandinavia, england, maybe even canada.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: PAlltheway] #6214637
04/11/18 11:48 AM
04/11/18 11:48 AM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
Do you believe they are lying when they repeatedly state on their web site that their saws are MADE IN The USA?

Of course other manufactures in other countries are capable and undoubtedly do manufacture quality saws. If you want to support those countries over your own homeland there is no one stopping you. Go for it.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Spek Jones] #6214712
04/11/18 01:50 PM
04/11/18 01:50 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Do you believe they are lying when they repeatedly state on their web site that their saws are MADE IN The USA?

Of course other manufactures in other countries are capable and undoubtedly do manufacture quality saws. If you want to support those countries over your own homeland there is no one stopping you. Go for it.

Spek, unfortunately a lot of companies lie about that. I paid over $300 for a pair of boots that are advertised as "made in the USA," however when I got them there was a tag on them that said made in Taiwan. I called the company and complained, because I believe in buying NA made products. They told me just what Palltheway is describing. The parts were imported, but the boots were "assembled" in the USA. The assembly could have been something as simple as putting the laces on, but they were in fact a product of Taiwan, not the USA.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: yukon254] #6214838
04/11/18 05:37 PM
04/11/18 05:37 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: yukon254

Spek, unfortunately a lot of companies lie about that. I paid over $300 for a pair of boots that are advertised as "made in the USA," however when I got them there was a tag on them that said made in Taiwan. I called the company and complained, because I believe in buying NA made products. They told me just what Palltheway is describing. The parts were imported, but the boots were "assembled" in the USA. The assembly could have been something as simple as putting the laces on, but they were in fact a product of Taiwan, not the USA.

Exactly. When someone is evasive and vague, it doesn't mean I'm failing to understand their claims. It means they are probably lying, and being evasive and vague helps them lie better.
Until Seneca saws can demonstrate how they are USA made, I'm not just curious, I'm skeptical

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6214843
04/11/18 05:46 PM
04/11/18 05:46 PM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Anyone use the Wyoming saws? Got a couple buddies that really like them, got one to try out, but haven't used it yet. Had to replace a cheap folding saw that rides around in my daypack when I'm hunting.

http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6214917
04/11/18 07:43 PM
04/11/18 07:43 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
I have the longer Wyoming saw, like it! I use it for opening moose and caribou ribs, necks, and of course firewood. Works good.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6215019
04/11/18 09:29 PM
04/11/18 09:29 PM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
If a person is serious about cutting any volume of fire wood by hand you will want a good crosscut saw. The little bow saws, Wyoming saws, and pruning saws are great for trail maintenance or cutting wood for a camp fire, but if you are sawing blocks off of larger diameter logs to heat a home or cabin, they just don't cut it.

To get the maximum use out of a cross cut saw it needs to be sharpened properly and have the proper set for the type of wood you are cutting. Not many people these days are knowledgable enough to properly tune a crosscut. Regardless of what has been said above, Crosscut Saw Company has extensive information on their website regarding how to maintain a saw, and they sell the tools to make it possible to fine tune one. Anyone that heats with wood would do well to read through their site and judge for themselves whether they are a reputable outfit or not.

I heat with wood and have a couple of crosscuts that I keep in the shop. I use them occasionally, but anymore I mostly just like having one around. If for any reason it ever gets to where I can't get gas, I will still be able to heat my house in winter. I also enjoy teaching the grand kids about alternate ways of doing things, rather than them growing up totally dependent on modern technology.

In Alaska, back in the 50's and 60's, crosscut saws were all we had, and we cut a heck of a lot of wood with them. We didn't take many pictures back then, so this is the best I could find in my files. The firewood in the shed in this picture was cut with a one man crosscut. You can only see part of what was there.

They are also handy sometimes for cutting trails, especially when you don't want to make a lot of noise.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6215195
04/12/18 01:01 AM
04/12/18 01:01 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Cool pictures Spek! I have a couple saws just like the one in the bottom picture, but have no idea how to sharpen them or set the teeth. Would like to learn though. My son used one all winter one time to heat his cabin on the trapline.

Nate, I've used the Wyoming saws some. They are OK. I just borrowed a Silky Bigboy folding saw from Tim for a bison hunt I just did and wow, its the best saw I've ever used! No bow saw will even come close. They make all kinds of saws....some are as big as the crosscut Spek is holding too.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6215257
04/12/18 07:25 AM
04/12/18 07:25 AM
Michigan
R
randyt Offline
trapper
randyt  Offline
trapper
R

Michigan
I have a couple saws like Speck has in his post. Mine has a extra handle that can be put on thee other end so a helper can help saw. When I was a kid my father taught my brother and I how to sharpen and maintain saws. One of these days I'm going to treat myself to a saw from the crosscut saw company just to see how it compares to my old saws.

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6215338
04/12/18 09:47 AM
04/12/18 09:47 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska

I don't cut much firewood with a crosscut saw, but I love to compete in crosscut sawing contests. The main difference is that when cutting firewood, you have to work all day. In competition, you are done in a few seconds!

The saw in the picture is NOT made in the USA! It is a racing saw, made in New Zealand. Notice that the teeth are actually a part of the rakers. That is to say that the rakers are filed to do both jobs, cutting AND raking out the cerf.

I have my competition saws sharpened and set by a fellow down in WA. It costs roughly $150 to send a saw down, have it sharpened and set, and sent back. The saw itself cost just south of $1000. (A lot more than most chain saws! You gotta be serious about this stuff!)

Adjusting the set is at least as important as the actual sharpening. My racing saws are each set for different types of wood. Frozen soft wood, soft wood, and hardwood.

I started in the Timber Sports while in college (a couple of years ago...) I later competed professionally in contests with the same guy for 37 years, but he died in an accident in 2011. So I started training up my #1 son, Jason, to saw with me. It took several years of competing and practicing, but I've got him well lined out and we are doing quite well.

The best part of competing in the Timber Sports with "20-something" sawyers, is the look on their faces when they get whupped up on by a saw with an old fat guy on one end who is on Social Security!

Pete

Last edited by Pete in Frbks; 04/12/18 09:49 AM.
Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6215374
04/12/18 10:26 AM
04/12/18 10:26 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Pete since you were in the Timber Sports so long you likely ran across a good buddy of mine at some point. His dad was a world champion pole climber back in the early 70s, and he went on to win the same title himself. His sister was a pretty good log roller at one point as well. Family name is Didier.

I've seen those saws you use cut a few times.....they cut quicker than most chainsaws!

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6215599
04/12/18 03:22 PM
04/12/18 03:22 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Great pictures, Spek & Pete. I just tried to find the photos of me crosscutting but got sidetracked on the wife photos. Having a good crosscut around is like money in the bank. Don't know when it'll actually be needed, but when you need it, it's there and nothing else will suffice

Re: One man hand log saw [Re: Aaron.F] #6216005
04/12/18 11:16 PM
04/12/18 11:16 PM
NW Colorado
C
COMuleman Offline
trapper
COMuleman  Offline
trapper
C

NW Colorado
We have to use them here where I outfit in the wilderness. We can’t have anything motorized . I have a one man Wilheim Putsch made in Germany. I also have a few older ones I found in antique shops. They all work really well. Also do some reading on tooth patterns and choose what will work best for your types of trees.

When the time comes for a man to look his maker in the eye, where a better place for a meeting to be held than in the wilderness?
- Dick Proenneke
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman