Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver slides... #6214697
04/11/18 01:24 PM
04/11/18 01:24 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I scouted a spot with beaver sign (many visible stolen trees; some fresh, some not). This is a wide/fast/long creek with no dams or huts. Theres a several hundred yard stretch where I see what seems to be spots where the bank appears to show where they may be entering land, but it's hard to tell if some of the trails are used by deer/beaver (or both). At the bottom of the slides, I don't see evidence on the stream bottom of beavers sliding through the sand/muck IN the creek @ the banks edge. If the slides are active, SHOULD I see evidence on the stream bottom where beavers slide into the water. I know there's beaver in the area, even tho I can't find their home. I want to figure out which slides are active.
Is it likely beaver are present year round in a area like I described, or do bank beaver often move up/downstream (or into small tributaries) for part of the year?
This is a family members property, 1 I can nuisance trap year round. I want to do damage control to help out the disabled owner. Thanks

Last edited by AJE; 04/11/18 01:42 PM.
Re: Beaver slides... [Re: AJE] #6214739
04/11/18 02:25 PM
04/11/18 02:25 PM
Norborne MO
B
BBarnes Offline
trapper
BBarnes  Offline
trapper
B

Norborne MO
They will move up and down the water way a good distance. I would say from your description that there is bank dens somewhere, don't forget to check you tree roots. Beaver will live in root balls. There has to be a feed bed/peeled sticks somewhere as well. I wouldn't get caught up on finding the den. Castor mound sets, footholds at the freshest slides using a poke sticks just under the water. Also if your allowed to use cable restraints/snares I would set as many of the slides you can.

Just my 2 cents worth

B

Re: Beaver slides... [Re: AJE] #6214754
04/11/18 02:56 PM
04/11/18 02:56 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
You don't have to look at the bottom at all if it's wet. You should be able to see claw marks in the slide. If you get there early enough in the morning, before the dew burns off you should also be able to see the wet marks from where the beaver pulled out from the creek.

Re: Beaver slides... [Re: AJE] #6214756
04/11/18 02:59 PM
04/11/18 02:59 PM
Norborne MO
B
BBarnes Offline
trapper
BBarnes  Offline
trapper
B

Norborne MO
"I'm sure more than one trapper has taken a one-way dunk under the water in rivers like you describe while wearing waders, so be careful if you're walking down along the water---it can be a steep drop off at times."

We call that a Beaver Baptizing here in Missouri!! Can be mighty cold!!!

B

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91