ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Wild horses in Alaska #6198243
03/24/18 06:31 PM
03/24/18 06:31 PM
Lower Yukon Delta, AK
C
conniboxer Offline OP
trapper
conniboxer  Offline OP
trapper
C

Lower Yukon Delta, AK
Does anyone have information about a program for rounding up the wild horses in Alaska? Or know who to contact about such a matter?

Re: Wild horses in Alaska [Re: conniboxer] #6198260
03/24/18 06:42 PM
03/24/18 06:42 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Most “wild horse” roundups are govt administered. The agency responsible would be the best contact.

Down here that’s the BLM not sure about Alaska, but a govt agency is likely who you are looking for.

Where did you read about the Alaska roundup? Didn’t they mention an agency?

Should add you’ll find lots more Alaska folks on the trap talk forum, versus here.

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 03/24/18 06:44 PM.
Re: Wild horses in Alaska [Re: conniboxer] #6198285
03/24/18 07:05 PM
03/24/18 07:05 PM
Lower Yukon Delta, AK
C
conniboxer Offline OP
trapper
conniboxer  Offline OP
trapper
C

Lower Yukon Delta, AK
I don't currently know of any program in effect to round up horses in Alaska. My reason for asking is because a friend of mine was hoping to be part of any round up or obtain a horse from one. I couldn't find any information about Alaska round ups through a Google search. All I got was material on what the BLM is doing in the southwest. I had no idea it was so politically charged. Anyways I just figured I would ask around and try to find out what I could. I'll have to see if there's any BLM office up in AK

Re: Wild horses in Alaska [Re: conniboxer] #6218414
04/15/18 06:23 PM
04/15/18 06:23 PM
Nevada
DESERTMULEY Offline
trapper
DESERTMULEY  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Mustangs belong to BLM...Feral horses belong to Dept of Agriculture here in Nevada....IF THEY ARE MUSTANGS YOU HAVE MY SYMPATHY...THEY OVERRUN THE COUNTRY HERE AND DESTROY HABITAT AND WATER SOURCES...THE ONLY THING THAT CONTROLS HORSES HERE ARE THE LIONS...SO NOW WERE OVERRUN WITH LIONS TOO...rant rant rant

Re: Wild horses in Alaska [Re: conniboxer] #6218570
04/15/18 08:53 PM
04/15/18 08:53 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
A little bit of information on the subject. Possibly you can contact the newspaper for more information.

Where the wild horses once roamed- http://www.alaskastar.com/community/2013-02-06/where-wild-horses-once-roamed#.WtPwHZch21s

Alaska Wild horse history- http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/alaska/breathtaking-place-where-you-can-watch-wild-horses-roam-ak/

Unalaska Alaska, Feeding the WIld Horses- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5mdWR1-9AI

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Wild horses in Alaska [Re: conniboxer] #6218740
04/15/18 11:31 PM
04/15/18 11:31 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Some unasked for advice, unless your friend is very experienced with horses, he would be better off to invest the BLM fee on a horse they can actually use, as most people miss the key word in wild horse in being WILD.
I have known people who purchased these wild animals and the climbed the walls of the barn as they had zero idea how to handle horses like this.
These wild animals survive coyotes, bears, wolves and coyotes. Even the young take a great deal of association with humans to get used to you.
I would instead find a working ranch, where you can trust the owner buy one of those animals which is fire proof as you get what you start off with.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread