No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Phone Scams? [Re: Moosetrot] #6223723
04/22/18 09:53 AM
04/22/18 09:53 AM
South Carolina Lowcountry
P
panhead501 Offline
trapper
panhead501  Offline
trapper
P

South Carolina Lowcountry
I used to get calls from a guy who could barely speak English, telling me there was a problem with my computer and it had a virus which he could fix if I would log in to my computer and do as he directed. He identified himself as a technician with Microsoft. He was calling my cell phone several times a day. I knew it was a scam and tried everything to get rid of him. I told him I did not have a computer. I got nasty with him to the point he hung up. I tried keeping him on the line by telling him to hold on and waiting several minutes before asking him to wait longer. Nothing seemed to work or get rid of him. Also his number showed up different every few days and sometimes it was just a 4 digit number. One evening he called and I saw it was a 4 digit number so I knew it was him. I started not to answer but then an idea popped into my head, so I answered and said: This is (my last name) police department, Inspector Jack of the internet fraud division speaking. Do you have an internet fraud to report? I said it in an official sounding voice. There was silence for a few seconds and so I repeated in a little louder voice. Then I hear Mr. broken English say, This police department? I said yes this it (my last name) police department, Inspector Jack speaking do you have an internet fraud to report or is this a follow up on a report? Again silence for a few seconds and in a very soft voice I hear... Sorry I have wrong number...click... As I hung up my wife cracked up laughing and wanted to know who I was talking to. Then she said I can't believe you just did that! Well since then I have not had another call from Mr Broken English...

Re: Phone Scams? [Re: Moosetrot] #6223738
04/22/18 10:13 AM
04/22/18 10:13 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
We were getting the Microsoft calls with accompanying broken English fairly often.

One time I asked "Is this Hadji?"
He responded "Did you just call me Hadji!!!!????"
I replied "Yes, Hadji, I did."
Then I asked if he was wearing any lace or did strange things with animals.
He replied in broken English "You are a f******r" and ended the call.

panhead-I like what you did and plan on using it in the future.

Moosetrot

Re: Phone Scams? [Re: Moosetrot] #6223757
04/22/18 10:39 AM
04/22/18 10:39 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Ya I don't understand how they can use local numbers as I'd, I get calls on cell and land line, even though I'm on do not call list

Re: Phone Scams? [Re: Moosetrot] #6223765
04/22/18 10:55 AM
04/22/18 10:55 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
This guy with a southern accent always calls and asks If Steven Is there. I fell for It the first time and said you must have the wrong number. Then he says maybe you can help me. I just hung up. The next time he called I said I'm sorry but Steven had died. The guy has called several times and I said Steven Is still dead. Haven't heard from him I a while. And I also get that credit card spiel from time to time.

Last edited by The Beav; 04/22/18 10:55 AM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Phone Scams? [Re: Tactical.20] #6223825
04/22/18 12:36 PM
04/22/18 12:36 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
Ya I don't understand how they can use local numbers as I'd, I get calls on cell and land line, even though I'm on do not call list

They have a program to spoof the local numbers and that gets people to answer thinking it's local and keeps the FCC from catching up with them if they are even looking!

Have had people call me asking if I called them a while ago, I'm guessing they spoofed my number after they called it.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread