Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220003
04/17/18 04:09 PM
04/17/18 04:09 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
Wolfdog, I was going to message you but thought that others might want this info too. It's a little hard to hear exact items.

1. Brand name of needle and size specifications?

2. Twine information?

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220051
04/17/18 05:10 PM
04/17/18 05:10 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
There's two main tyoe of needles and they have like 50 different names but I prefer the normal style for smaller twine but I prefer the H style for larger stuff like 550 cord.
Anyhow I order all my stuff now from the fish net company in Jonesville Lousinia,their shipping is kinda expensive but their service is beyond amazing ! Actually made an order then had one of the clerk's call the next day and said he saw my order and figured what I was as making and told me what I ordered wasn't what I actually wanted and gave me the correct poportions and even saved me some $$$. Jannsnetcraft is good too but they seem a lil more pricy and less selection.

So if you order from the fish net company what I used is called a Duro needle and my favorite is like a medium size I reckon. Though I'm starting to like their super star 8 a bit more though,though it can be a pain when starting the fist set of meshes due to it's size.

Now good thing about janns is you can order a whole basic set of needles if you want.

Now as far as twine I'mma go ahead and save you a massive migraine and tell you to stay faaaaar away from Mason twine and that bank line crap from Wally world. It's tared uneven and it's twist is loose and crappy at best, it will work but it's not something I wanna work with if I had a choice.

What I use now is the Superbrand twine that the fish net company stocks. Now they have alot of different kinds but the bonded green and black tarred is what I've deleted with and I like both. The bonded has kinda a slight waxy type coating that helps it keep knots from slipping like Mason twine will. It's also real nice in your hands . I have a few knots slip but how ever but not enough that I'd consider it a problem. It's just great to work with in general.

Their tarred twine is great as well. If you check out the cheaper crap you find it often has globbing and "zebra striping" where the tar didn't. Coat well and this can caun bad knot holding,that being said it "will" work. But the mighty brand has a wonderful even coating. It's a little on the stiff side so your gonna need to put the ole man hands on it when you tie you knots but once that tar bonds and works a little those knots will be like concrete. The tarred twine can be a little round on the hands at times though.

As far a sizes your gonna get alot of different things. For fish most will recommend size ,#9-12 and turtles 15-18. Personally from the snappers in the 10-30 lbs range I've messed with #15 is about perfect for me.that being said for much areger ones or for trap your gonna work all the time #18 won't hurt a thing. In fact I thing beaverfoot who makes some of the best D style hoop nets around uses #18 last time I checkeded and ive never heard a bad thing about his nets !

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220053
04/17/18 05:12 PM
04/17/18 05:12 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220104
04/17/18 06:17 PM
04/17/18 06:17 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
Ok, to recap what you said.

You need a Duro 7" needle, and Bonded (tarred) twine size 15 to 18. Is this correct?

And then of course the patience and knowledge to make it all work.

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220156
04/17/18 07:48 PM
04/17/18 07:48 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: TheBig1

You need a Duro 7" needle, and Bonded (tarred) twine size 15 to 18. Is this correct?

I prefer using tarred twine, because it sticks and holds where I want it to while sewing. Many net makers scoff at the thought of using tarred twine and prefer to use uncoated. They dip their nets that are entirely white into the net coat. Still, I prefer uncoated mesh with tarred sewing line. To each their own

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220178
04/17/18 08:28 PM
04/17/18 08:28 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted By: TheBig1

basically yes smile but on the needles I recommend you buy a couple different ones just to see what works best for you.also if your like me they're prone to being lost lol

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6220312
04/17/18 10:37 PM
04/17/18 10:37 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
snaggem with a fishing pole you can clean out a decent size pond in a few hours and only keep the big ones! And you never harm the turtle. Most trappers have walked thru a mudd bottom ever notice the bubble trail? turtles leave the same trail on a calm day its like jet exhaust in the sky faint trails 15-20 minutes later. Cast in front of those trails and be ready for a good fight!LOL Bring plenty of extra hooks and sinkers cause you will find ever snag as well! It gets exciting when you bump one! They take off running lol you will need to lead them when you cast! I recommend all turtlers to try it once you will be hooked!

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TONY.F] #6221446
04/19/18 07:52 AM
04/19/18 07:52 AM
Henderson NC
C
crankbait Offline
trapper
crankbait  Offline
trapper
C

Henderson NC
Originally Posted By: TONY.F
snaggem with a fishing pole you can clean out a decent size pond in a few hours and only keep the big ones! And you never harm the turtle. Most trappers have walked thru a mudd bottom ever notice the bubble trail? turtles leave the same trail on a calm day its like jet exhaust in the sky faint trails 15-20 minutes later. Cast in front of those trails and be ready for a good fight!LOL Bring plenty of extra hooks and sinkers cause you will find ever snag as well! It gets exciting when you bump one! They take off running lol you will need to lead them when you cast! I recommend all turtlers to try it once you will be hooked!

Snagging = Harming in my book!!!! Not a good way to practice catch and release!!!

Tommy
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6221475
04/19/18 08:27 AM
04/19/18 08:27 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Net neddle size
Depends on the size of the twine. Say your using streched mesh of 1" your gona have to use a narror neddle than if your working with 2 1/2" mesh.
I wouldent use twine size less the #18 for common snappers. Alos like 2 1/2" mesh size for turtles.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6221482
04/19/18 08:38 AM
04/19/18 08:38 AM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
I was looking at your site Newt and noticed that you sell all of that equipment. I was going to wait until the rendezvous, hopefully I'm able to make it, and sit down with you if you have time and talk.

I'd thought about buying one from you so that I can get started but then also trying my hand at making one.

You should do a seminar on how to make a trap. Make the seminar so much money and include all of the material. Heck, I'd come to something like that. Either way it goes, net making is a good survival technique to acquire.

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6221555
04/19/18 10:02 AM
04/19/18 10:02 AM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

If you need supplies to be delivered at a convention. You have to pre order. I am not gona have a large set up. Just a tail gate place or two.
Thats for any convention that I will be doing this year.

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: crankbait] #6221620
04/19/18 12:16 PM
04/19/18 12:16 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
Originally Posted By: crankbait

Snagging = Harming in my book!!!! Not a good way to practice catch and release!!!
I've saw turtles survive being run over by automobiles! No little treble hook is going to affect there health.

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6221626
04/19/18 12:30 PM
04/19/18 12:30 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Would you want to eat that turtle in a few years with the damaged tissue from infection?

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6221635
04/19/18 12:48 PM
04/19/18 12:48 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I used to snare sliders all the time, some kinda fun in a pond full of em and a medium action spinning outfit. The rig was usually a bell sinker with smaller treble hook about a foot or two above the sinker . Cast over their backs and reel in the slack some and give her a good snatch. Never got anything more than a shell catch or some of the skin on the back leg. Alot of time if you didn't keep good tension they would get off.

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6221745
04/19/18 04:04 PM
04/19/18 04:04 PM
iowa
bankrunner Offline
trapper
bankrunner  Offline
trapper

iowa
I keep my bait frozen, water will thaw it in no time. Then use a little fish oil left from trapping season and give a squirt to get the film on the water and get them headed your way. Not very difficult to trap. I use nets, all d-shaped ones and have 3/4 inch pvc down the sides so I don't have to stake both ends.

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6223071
04/21/18 11:54 AM
04/21/18 11:54 AM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

I've saw turtles survive being run over by automobiles! No little treble hook is going to affect there health.

Dont bet on that.

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6223116
04/21/18 01:10 PM
04/21/18 01:10 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
I ve never once saw a blood spot on the meat skinning a turtle that's been snagged! 90% of the time you hook their shells and occasionally a foot but nothing vital or risk of infection they hurt them selves worse fighting with each other! I would think catching them in 330s would be more detrimental than a size 8 treble hook with no barbs! And I understand the point of infection if I saw any proof of it harming the released ones. I would quit for sure but ive never once saw any sign of long term affects or even short term affects Even the ones released from 330s never showed up dead come spring. You'll have a hard time convincing me they are that easily damaged!Ive only found one sure fire way to kill a turtle that's released break it nose then they will drown!

Last edited by TONY.F; 04/21/18 01:12 PM.

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TONY.F] #6224792
04/23/18 04:12 PM
04/23/18 04:12 PM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

I ve never once saw a blood spot on the meat skinning a turtle that's been snagged! 90% of the time you hook their shells and occasionally a foot but nothing vital or risk of infection they hurt them selves worse fighting with each other! I would think catching them in 330s would be more detrimental than a size 8 treble hook with no barbs! And I understand the point of infection if I saw any proof of it harming the released ones. I would quit for sure but ive never once saw any sign of long term affects or even short term affects Even the ones released from 330s never showed up dead come spring. You'll have a hard time convincing me they are that easily damaged!Ive only found one sure fire way to kill a turtle that's released break it nose then they will drown!

Just start buying and selling turtles.On a large scale.
You will soon learn that they are not "bullet Proof"

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: TheBig1] #6288871
07/28/18 11:10 AM
07/28/18 11:10 AM
Wisconsin (WI)
T
Trap4taxidery Offline
trapper
Trap4taxidery  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin (WI)
Looking to buy some frozen turtle heads anyone have some for sale ?

Re: Trapping Snapping Turtles [Re: LT GREY] #6288951
07/28/18 01:31 PM
07/28/18 01:31 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: bankrunner
I keep my bait frozen, water will thaw it in no time. Then use a little fish oil left from trapping season and give a squirt to get the film on the water and get them headed your way. Not very difficult to trap. I use nets, all d-shaped ones and have 3/4 inch pvc down the sides so I don't have to stake both ends.

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Fresh fish will out perform salted fish or tainted fish.
Panny hose won't hold up, as a bait holder.Leaf guard screens, cut to size and rang into a sleeve will offer a bait holder , even a big
snapper can't get the bait out of.

I use Skip Jack Herring, common carp as a second choice. Most professional turtle trappers just use the cap of a carp's head, as that's where the oil gland is and it doesn't rot

What they said.

As far as a bait holder I use the green suet feeders for birds. If you buy the better quality ones they last a long time. The only thing that hurts them are the really big Alligator Snappers and Alligators.

I also use cheap chicken quarters for bait when I can't get carp. When using chicken quarters I'll let them marinate in fish oil before freezing.

I am gearing up to do some turtle trapping now. If it wasn't so hot I would be more excited...

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91