No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
wolf lair #6222489
04/20/18 03:00 PM
04/20/18 03:00 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline OP
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline OP
trapper

western alaska
Curious to see if anyone else on here has ever found one? Some friends and I were out last week in the country and apparently found a few. The local biologist here told us that's what we found when we described it. He says most people go their entire lives looking for one and don't find one including biologists. I got to admit it was pretty cool to see. Don't have any pictures I lost my cell phone out in the tundra. We are definitely going to visit the area again there were some pretty big wolf tracks.

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6222495
04/20/18 03:18 PM
04/20/18 03:18 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Yes. In this area higher sandy areas/hills. If there are mature spruce with live branches all the way down to ground level the den will be dug under them. Also some large bog type areas, with junk spruce growing thru out ( roughly 20 acre big and bigger) will have what I call eskers out in them. These eskers are 1-2 acres or so, out in those bogs, very sandy odd hills sticking up with spruce on them. They are peppered with den sites from both bears and wolves. Easy dry digging.
The wolf dens have multiple entrances. The bear dens go in the hillsides a couple feet then a rounded out chamber to the right or left of the opening.
They really seem to like those hidden rises in the bogs the best.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6222516
04/20/18 03:48 PM
Upstate NY
David Morse Offline
trapper
David Morse  Offline
trapper

Upstate NY
I,m guessing you arn,t referring to Hitlers hideout

life member NYSTA
Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6222517
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
Have found 3 at our camp. On the edge of thick swamp. Close to water. One is under a big blow down.

Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6222524
04/20/18 03:59 PM
04/20/18 03:59 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline OP
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline OP
trapper

western alaska
ha ha no hitler in this area david. We don't have many trees over here or swamps. The ones we seen were on top of mountains inside a rock outcrop. Multiple entrances and up high where they can over see the valleys. Lots of animal bones and a tunnel system through the rocks.

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6222573
04/20/18 05:34 PM
04/20/18 05:34 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Ive seen them during bear hunting season. They have a distinctly wolfy smell. Makes a guy feel like he's being watched. Always looking for a chance to grab a black pup...er...I mean.. see a black pup. Yeah that's it! See a black pup.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6222581
04/20/18 05:59 PM
04/20/18 05:59 PM
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
NEVER seen one around here - don't know why...

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: wolf lair [Re: David Morse] #6222755
04/20/18 11:02 PM
04/20/18 11:02 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: David Morse
I,m guessing you arn,t referring to Hitlers hideout
grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: wolf lair [Re: Malukchuk] #6227075
04/26/18 09:13 AM
04/26/18 09:13 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Central PA, God's Country
My folks were big into raising some odd strain of Alaskan malamutes. Our malamutes were enormous. Very friendly towards all people, even night time burglars, and fatally vicious toward all dogs. We had them in a one-acre high-fence pen behind the house, and every spring the female would den up. As the oldest kid, it was my job to go out and find the den, and see if the female would let me in to get the pups. If not, and it was always no, heck no, with lots of big bared teeth, growling, snapping, then dad would come out and help me. They hid those dens unbelievably well. You'd think an acre is pretty small and that you'd be able to find the den easily. Not my experience. They were well hidden, and like the one commenter above says about his local wolves, our malamutes would always pick a very slight rise under some healthy spruce, and use the root system as a roof.
For those who might not know, Malamutes are big, strong sled dogs originally from Alaska and probably not genetically too far removed from wild wolves. They look like wolves, act a lot like wolves when they get out of the house or pen, and howl like wolves. I used to sit in the living room and howl with the dogs. Or put on the now-old Robert Redford wolf record from 1972 or thereabouts. The dogs would hear those howls and immediately sit on their haunches and start howling like mad, ears all perked up. If me or dad got into it with them, they went nuts, pacing, looking out the windows, barking. They were wondering where their pack was. Anyhow, if malamutes are any indication, then finding a real wolf den in wilderness is going to be very difficult.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread