Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? #6221739
04/19/18 03:57 PM
04/19/18 03:57 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central/Western Texas
I'm looking for a bait recipe for coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, or raccoon etc. I can't buy expensive lure ingredients. I need a recipe that I can make from ordinary stuff you can buy in a grocery store etc. Nothing high dollar Also has anyone ever used Reuwsatt's Bait Solution? How'd it work and what did y'all mix it with?
Thanks to you all!
AuthorTrapper.

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6221761
04/19/18 04:31 PM
04/19/18 04:31 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
I have not used Reuwsatt's, but meat with Dobbin's solution in it is the first to get dug up when buried within feet of other commercial baits.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: robert.d12] #6221807
04/19/18 05:51 PM
04/19/18 05:51 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Central/Western Texas
What did you mix with it?

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6221821
04/19/18 06:04 PM
04/19/18 06:04 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Originally Posted By: AuthorTrapper
I did some with rabbit and some with deer, I believe I used the deer in the test.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6222033
04/19/18 10:14 PM
04/19/18 10:14 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC

Deer, beaver, bobcat, muskrat, beef is what I've successfully mixed with Dobbins, Blackies, Marsyadas, Jamesons, Weiser bait solutions.

Did you get those FREE lure/bait making books like I suggested yet?

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6223169
04/21/18 02:41 PM
04/21/18 02:41 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Central/Western Texas
No, traprjohn I didn't. I don't recall you telling me about any; please enlighten me!

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6223690
04/22/18 09:06 AM
04/22/18 09:06 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I'm looking for a bait recipe for coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, raccoon etc. The cheaper it is the better.
AuthorTrapper.

There are hundreds of recipes out there. The effort put into making bait will determine whether or not it will be successful, researching the animal you are trying to attract will prove to be more successful than just throwing a bunch of crap together. Someone who is making their own bait could give you their recipe but how accurate will you be in (copying) it? What if they've done something to their base before dumping the magic stuff in..etc. Being original is worth more than being a copy. The lists of some of these bait and lure recipes are comical. To back that statement up, just read how many folks ask for different suggestions on bait, and lure for that matter, after trying to use these lists . People using big named bait and lure products that have zero effect on their target animal. Then make a switch to another bait & lure and have success.

JMO, To have the best bait and lure for you would be to research your animal and build off of that information to best suit your area, then if you want to use it in different parts of the country, start to research diets in that area and incorporate
that into your bait but in stages. Once you research that animals diet start to scout the area you're looking to attract them animals. We know canines eat meat, but what kind of herbs attract them..etc. One big factor is critter population, any idea of it? Can't attract animals if they aren't there.

An example, you can count the ingredients in this bait on one hand, and it gets their attention and gets that (digging) response. These holes were put in by the kids, no secret abracadabra 3 TO 4 year aged base or buried underground. Just a mild taint, and a few key ingredients that I feel work very well in grabbing the attention of animals the bait was designed for. Sits in a shed with other bait that causes the same reactions before bottling. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on ingredients to have an effective bait. jmo

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6224280
04/22/18 10:40 PM
04/22/18 10:40 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I'm looking for a bait recipe for coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, or raccoon etc. I can't buy expensive lure ingredients. I need a recipe that I can make from ordinary stuff you can buy in a grocery store etc. Nothing high dollar Also has anyone ever used Reuwsatt's Bait Solution? How'd it work and what did y'all mix it with?
Thanks to you all!
AuthorTrapper.

Don't know what you consider expensive,
This is about as cheep as I know of.
Go to your local butcher shop with a gallon pail like ice cream comes in. Ask them to save you some of the meal that comes off of the meat saw. My shop gives it to me free. It contains meat scraps, bone marrow, and bone meal. Ask them if they have any brains you can have. Mix it all together and set it in a warm place for a FEW DAYS. Stir it every day. When it starts to get a faint smell add 4oz honey
And a pint of Dobbins bait solution. Stir well. Keep the flies out of it or they'll lay eggs in it and the maggots will destroy it. You can portion it up in muffin paper cups and freeze or put it in jars with lids loose for a couple weeks to let the gas's escape so you don't have an explosion.
This is a variation of one of Nick Wysenskies recipes an ounce of beaver castor (ground) would be a good addition to half of the mix.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6228431
04/27/18 08:40 PM
04/27/18 08:40 PM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
I've sold a number of Bait Solutions in the past, and know I just carry Dobbins Bait Solutions follow the directions and it works. You are not going to get stuff from a grocery store to do what Dobbin's solutions is going to do. I prefer to taint the bait for 2 weeks in Michigan mild weather prior to adding any preservative or bait solutions purchased or homemade.

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: John-Chagnon] #6229488
04/29/18 01:45 PM
04/29/18 01:45 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Can you use canned sardines? mackerel? Has anyone used store bought chicken?

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6229622
04/29/18 05:48 PM
04/29/18 05:48 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Yes and yes and yes

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6229717
04/29/18 08:13 PM
04/29/18 08:13 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
AT go talk to your butcher. There was an old article in Fur Fish Game about west Texas trapping in Trapping the Sixes, which was a ranch out there, and for coyotes, all they used was sheep intestine cut up in pieces and laid out in a flat set line so the coyote would move across the trap.
You honestly are not going to find anything you want in a grocery except salt or salt peter for preserving. You could look through the archives here and see how to cold process eggs to a sweet smelling bait which works early season. Other than that your best shopping now is a dairy or rancher with baby calves, collecting their milk poop.
The gut will not reach out as a call lure, so you are going to have to either buy the ingredients or wait around until you can find enough roadkill or you pick up your first catches, and then save the glands, straps, scat,hams, urine, some liver with bile to get you into the neighborhood of a proper call lure. A long distance is usually just skunk added to it, and that is not recommended until cold weather.
Hope that helps getting you in the right direction.

Re: Anyone have a predator bait recipe to share? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6229886
04/30/18 05:37 AM
04/30/18 05:37 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
ive never seen potassium nitrate for sale in a grocery store. farm stores have it but its sold as a stump remover

ask yourself how commercial lure and bait makers stay in business.

you can catch a lot of coons with cans of jack mackeral

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91