No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Road kill #6229990
04/30/18 09:24 AM
04/30/18 09:24 AM
N. Dakota
1lessdog Offline OP
trapper
1lessdog  Offline OP
trapper

N. Dakota
How many of you can drive by and not stop to pick up a road kill Bobcat or Otter when season is closed even thou you know the fur is still good?

I seen a very nice otter yesterday on the side of the road that made me think.

Re: Road kill [Re: 1lessdog] #6229992
04/30/18 09:27 AM
04/30/18 09:27 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
If it's got a season keep driving that singed otter might cost you more then it's worth. Having a furbearer out of season in bad enough but a CITIES one would not be worth it!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Road kill [Re: 1lessdog] #6229995
04/30/18 09:28 AM
04/30/18 09:28 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
About as hard not to harvest castor on out of season ADC beaver. Dumb, but state law here. Aint worth the possible consequences. It all stays where it's suppose to out of season.

Last edited by Calvin; 04/30/18 09:29 AM.
Re: Road kill [Re: 1lessdog] #6230043
04/30/18 11:03 AM
04/30/18 11:03 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
In New York we are supposed to place an accidental catch of an out of season species on the bank and leave it there. Same goes for roadkills, don't touch them unless there is an open season on them. I know there are reasons for some of these laws, but some are very much out of date. In my opinion it is morally wrong to waste a dead animal that is a resource. I am not advocating deliberately braking the law, but a little common sense on the part of our DEC instead of playing the political appeasement game could go a long way.

Re: Road kill [Re: Calvin] #6230056
04/30/18 11:37 AM
04/30/18 11:37 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: Calvin
About as hard not to harvest castor on out of season ADC beaver. Dumb, but state law here. Aint worth the possible consequences. It all stays where it's suppose to out of season.

You are right, it's a very stupid law. You should hear some of the dumb excuses you get from a CO when you ask what are you supposed to do with ADC beaver? I had two different farmers quite upset with me for leaving beaver carcasses rotting in the hot weather on their land. They expected me to take them with me. I explained the law to them that if I got caught transporting them, I would be fined. I don't think they believed me.

This law shows what little the DNR knows about fur. Summer-caught beaver's fur is pretty much worthless and no trapper in their right mind is going to be trapping them then. Maybe the right approach is to tell the farmers to leave the beaver alone to do their thing and file a lawsuit against the DNR for damages and loss of income.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread