No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trapline Dog Question #6232538
05/03/18 05:25 PM
05/03/18 05:25 PM
Pennsylvania
PA_K-9_Trapper Offline OP
trapper
PA_K-9_Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
This may be a stupid question, but how do you guys keep your dogs that run your line with you out of your traps? Do they run along side with you, or do they ride in the truck?

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6232545
05/03/18 05:35 PM
05/03/18 05:35 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Teach them basic obedience; sit, stay and come. Those commands are to be obeyed instantly, at all times, no matter what else is going on.

Eh...wot?

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6232578
05/03/18 06:21 PM
05/03/18 06:21 PM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
A few of my coon hound's have got caught in traps before but it was only once . They get trap wise quick .

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6232630
05/03/18 07:53 PM
05/03/18 07:53 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Keep dog on a leash, til it learns to stay nearby, teach them what no means, tell them no if they get too close to trap, if dog gets caught a couple times that will teach them why you said no.
Mine remembered I wanted her back on atv when I set trap-snares, I let her sniff n pee first while I'm getting equipment ready

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233275
05/04/18 02:37 PM
05/04/18 02:37 PM
West Virginia
J
John Houben Offline
trapper
John Houben  Offline
trapper
J

West Virginia
I have trained quite a few trapline dogs over the years and like to "pre-condition" the new dog before they are exposed to a lot of traps in the field. When the pup is about 4-5 months I make a dirt-hole in the yard when the dog is not around to see me do it. I use a Soft Catch trap at the set. Later I let the dog out of the kennel and say nothing to it when it gets near the set. When the dog gets caught it gets pretty excited. I calmly take the dog out of the trap and lightly scold it while releasing it by saying "TRAP." The dog is no worse for wear. I use a similar technique, described by John Wick in his coon dog training book, for pre-conditioning on deer by hanging a deer gland on the electric fence and letting the dog "find" it.

Everything which has been said above about obedience training is absolutely true, but I use these methods because I want the dog to avoid traps and deer whether I am there to guide them or not. When den hunting or walking to sets I free cast the dogs and don't want to be watching them all the time.

Most dogs will get caught once at home as a pup and then once or twice more on the trapline. Most dogs I have trained never get caught again after their first year. When you have an older dog that is well broke it often goes even quicker as the younger dog will sometimes take cues from the older dogs behavior. Makes you wonder how often this happens when several coyotes visit a trap location.

Some may not like the sound of these methods, but it works very well. The dog is not harmed any and I have seen much more abuse dished out to dogs by people who don't know how to properly use a training collar.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: John Houben] #6233316
05/04/18 03:30 PM
05/04/18 03:30 PM
Southeast Va
D
Dawggone Offline
trapper
Dawggone  Offline
trapper
D

Southeast Va
Very true words their!!!

Backwater Wildlife Control Services LLC
Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233331
05/04/18 03:41 PM
05/04/18 03:41 PM
Pennsylvania
trapper
trapper

Pennsylvania
Thanks guys. I was thinking about taking my shorthair with me this year, he is a pheasant hunter. So I figured he might be good to take along with me with a little extra training.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: John Houben] #6233359
05/04/18 04:19 PM
05/04/18 04:19 PM
Virginia
V
VAwolfer Offline
trapper
VAwolfer  Offline
trapper
V

Virginia
Originally Posted By: John Houben
I have trained quite a few trapline dogs over the years and like to "pre-condition" the new dog before they are exposed to a lot of traps in the field. When the pup is about 4-5 months I make a dirt-hole in the yard when the dog is not around to see me do it. I use a Soft Catch trap at the set. Later I let the dog out of the kennel and say nothing to it when it gets near the set. When the dog gets caught it gets pretty excited. I calmly take the dog out of the trap and lightly scold it while releasing it by saying "TRAP." The dog is no worse for wear. I use a similar technique, described by John Wick in his coon dog training book, for pre-conditioning on deer by hanging a deer gland on the electric fence and letting the dog "find" it.

Everything which has been said above about obedience training is absolutely true, but I use these methods because I want the dog to avoid traps and deer whether I am there to guide them or not. When den hunting or walking to sets I free cast the dogs and don't want to be watching them all the time.

Most dogs will get caught once at home as a pup and then once or twice more on the trapline. Most dogs I have trained never get caught again after their first year. When you have an older dog that is well broke it often goes even quicker as the younger dog will sometimes take cues from the older dogs behavior. Makes you wonder how often this happens when several coyotes visit a trap location.

Some may not like the sound of these methods, but it works very well. The dog is not harmed any and I have seen much more abuse dished out to dogs by people who don't know how to properly use a training collar.

This is VERY Wise Advise.

When I got my Airedale for trap line use a few years ago this man was the first call I made. Mr. Houben gave me the very same advise. Training your dog for the trapline can and should be a fun experience. I can truly say that my Airedale knows when it is trapping season, and he absolutely loves to go with me on the line. They learn and catch on to what you are doing quickly, they learn 1+1=2 (lure + set = trap), and overtime your dog will develop a discipline on your trapline. My Airedale (Ruger) goes with me everyday, I have a quad cab pickup and the back half is his.

The ONLY time he has ever ABOUT got caught recently would be when he dives in on a coyote and I have another set very close by. He has inadvertently ALMOST stepped in a few of my double sets. However outside of that he steers clear...

To give you at least one answer to your original question, my advise would be take him or her with you ALWAYS, make him or her apart of your team and trapping program.

"Life is Better with a Trapline Dog" (new bumper sticker...LOL)

M Lewis

A SMART man learns by his mistakes, but a WISE man learns by the mistakes of others.
Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233375
05/04/18 04:43 PM
05/04/18 04:43 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I would make one correction---LIFE IS BETTER WITH AIREDALE TRAPLINE DOG!

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: John Houben] #6233458
05/04/18 06:59 PM
05/04/18 06:59 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted By: John Houben

I do much the same but also vary the types of sets that I expose the dog to l, while you can not cover all that they might get it to most dogs will learn to be cautious when they smell a trap and I am sure they can no matter how well someone might have worked on their seant control

Most of my dogs would spot other people’s sets even when they were blended in well they would go into point mode and show where it was while mine they watched me make other trappers were smelled out is all I can think of because the always knew they were there

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233586
05/04/18 09:57 PM
05/04/18 09:57 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
It always amazed me my dog could smell lures from the sets I made a year before in wy

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233604
05/04/18 10:15 PM
05/04/18 10:15 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
My blue heeler stuck her head in a 220 bucket baited with fish. Thought she was gone for sure but I got her out. Very hard to get her to be still to allow me to get the setter on the trap. I could not open it with my hands but I was able to get her some air before succeeding with the trap tool. Scared me to death.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233777
05/05/18 09:01 AM
05/05/18 09:01 AM
MN
S
Saddletramp Offline
trapper
Saddletramp  Offline
trapper
S

MN
The down side of the pointer is,if it goes on point, and you can't see him,he'll stay on point until the bird moves. I had a pointer (gsp) for 15 yrs. Best dog I've ever had!

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233806
05/05/18 09:49 AM
05/05/18 09:49 AM
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
R
Riverotter2 Offline
trapper
Riverotter2  Offline
trapper
R

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Got a Blue Heeler that works year round on my trapline. Can't believe I trapped so many years with out one. Run ahead of my truck and checks traps before I even get to them. After a day or two knows most of the roads he need to turn down running ahead of me. Trapped rats and nutes on a pile of lake using flagging above each set and after a few days he need there was a set below the flagging. Good at finding where coyotes mark some grass or wood. Run down small pigs and trees squirrels. Knows when that truck show down and about to turn into a log road it time to go to work. Darn dog trains his self. Pepper has gotten to be well known around these huntin clubs and farms around here. Cool little dog with a big heart and full of guts.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: Saddletramp] #6233892
05/05/18 12:22 PM
05/05/18 12:22 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted By: Saddletramp
The down side of the pointer is,if it goes on point, and you can't see him,he'll stay on point until the bird moves. I had a pointer (gsp) for 15 yrs. Best dog I've ever had!

Not talking about a pointer any dog will point things at times though my last dog is was a German wirehair but befor her I had many different mutts and pure breed dogs And all but one made good trapline dogs and her she was a good dog just not trustworthy on the line she wanted to rush in and fight everything and just could not be broke off doing so

The very best trapline dog I had was a a purebred walker coon hound i swear that dog knew there was a trap there as soon as he got within 50 feet and up wind of one at that and then point his nose at it and give out this sort of low moan and not move till I came up to him and it did not matter if it was my trap or someone elses he knew right where it was and he was scary smart show him something once and he never forget only downside he had was he hated porkies and would kill everyone he came near but at least he almost never got stuck and then never more then 2 or 3 and then he would just sit there and wait for you to pull them out.

All of my dog were taught to stop as soon as they smelled a trap and wait some were just better at it then others

God I miss that dog

Last edited by nightlife; 05/05/18 12:45 PM.

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6233909
05/05/18 01:13 PM
05/05/18 01:13 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
I take my shorthair Rowdy with me to check all my water sets. If I am making or checking conibears that are sticking up out of the water, I tie him to a tree while I am making or checking those sets. If they are fully submerged I will let him run around while I am busy with traps. He enjoys coming along and it is a good way to get him his much-needed exercise after waterfowl and upland season has ended.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6234066
05/05/18 07:00 PM
05/05/18 07:00 PM
Pennsylvania
trapper
trapper

Pennsylvania
Wild Idaho, he looks just like mine. Does yours like the water, because mine loves splashing around when I take him beaver trapping.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6234083
05/05/18 07:22 PM
05/05/18 07:22 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted By: PA_K-9_Trapper
Wild Idaho, he looks just like mine. Does yours like the water, because mine loves splashing around when I take him beaver trapping.

Yeah he does not mind water at all. Whether it's retrieving redheads and honkers out of the river in January or tagging along with me on water trapping excursions.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6234101
05/05/18 07:55 PM
05/05/18 07:55 PM
Meridian , ID
B
Badgerman50 Offline
trapper
Badgerman50  Offline
trapper
B

Meridian , ID
My traps are so far apart, having the dogs do anything but ride with me wouldn't be time efficient. I don't run drags on anything so mine are mostly company when not calling. Of course my red cur, Annie, is a never ending source of entertainment. She got caught a few times a year until she was two. She's 4 now and is a little more careful. She'll snare herself in a heartbeat though.

Last edited by Badgerman50; 05/05/18 08:10 PM.

Badgerman
Re: Trapline Dog Question [Re: PA_K-9_Trapper] #6234623
05/06/18 03:48 PM
05/06/18 03:48 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Ya snares are hard for them to spot, mine still hits them, she stops and looks at me like, ooopps, help here please! Lol

Last edited by Tactical.20; 05/06/18 03:48 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread