Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Chain length and type? #6235358
05/07/18 07:03 PM
05/07/18 07:03 PM
SW Idaho
S
SleeplessKnights Offline OP
trapper
SleeplessKnights  Offline OP
trapper
S

SW Idaho
Howdy folks,

I'm a newbie and have some questions about chain lengths and type. On another post here I learned the difference between machine chain and twisted link chain and also about that chain that has the figure-eight links that are twisted shut (not to be confused with twisted link chain)..........

.....so I've decided to change out some of that figure-8 stuff on a few traps I have for machine chain and was wondering about length and number of swivels.

I should mention that we're talking about coil-spring coyote traps.

I have some traps that I bought from an experienced trapper that have a swivel at the trap, about 10" of machine chain (#3), and another swivel at the end. I note that this same set-up is found on a new MB-550, presumably the be-all end-all of coyote traps (at least to some).

I'm thinking this is the set-up to duplicate. Do you agree?

Is there any need for a shock-spring or another swivel somewhere in the system?

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6235535
05/07/18 10:42 PM
05/07/18 10:42 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
A lot depends on your soils, check time, the type of stake and what your trapping. I run 80% number 3 traps with 18 inches of chain, 3 swivels one at the trap, one in the center and one at the stake. My line is mostly coyote with a few fox and coon. I use a smooth round stake that is knotted. I run a three day check sometimes 2 day depending on conditions and other factors. I trap mid Oct to the end of Dec. in loam type rock soil to sandy soil. I have been very pleased with this and have had very few pullouts few pulled stakes. Been using this system for 30 plus years and put up close to 300 pelts a year. So see what other info you get and go from there. It really depends on a lot of other things that come into play. The only time I use a longer stake is at a badger dig or pocket gopher soils that are fluffy. In some cases there your better to use a drag if there is vegetation that will hook up the drag.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6235569
05/07/18 11:59 PM
05/07/18 11:59 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
There's a coyote guy out of Indiana (whos caught thousands of coyotes) that I believe just runs the stock Twist loop (figure 8) chain....so I don't think it's necessary to change out the chain like some say. (I actually like it better for water trapping) but if it makes you feel good, do it.

Ask 10 trappers about chain length and you'll get 11 answers. One thing to note is the smaller/less durable traps can benefit from shorter chains. Less chance to lunge keeps those smaller traps intact. I run a short chain and never had a jaw pop on even crappy traps that shouldn't hold a coyote. And a short chain does the same thing as a shock springs.

But always double stake short chains....if using rebar. Well I'd double stake any coyote trap personally. Cheap insurance.

Always add an extra swivel to your chains. if you get in grass, you'll foul one or two.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6235716
05/08/18 09:42 AM
05/08/18 09:42 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
It is true that your gonna get a lot of different answers to your question because it’s a matter of personal preference . The double loop or figure 8 chain does not bed well under the trap. This can be overcome by digging a trench to lay your chain in . That being said , the only chain that I ever had give up on me was the double loop chain !

To answer your question about chain length we need to know about your anchoring system . If I’m using an earth anchor I will use a short chain, 10” or less with at least a swivel on each end. If I’m using a single 20” stake ( we have very tight ground and a 24 hour check) I will use about 30” of machine chain and three swivels !

Last edited by Golf ball; 05/08/18 10:19 AM.
Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6236011
05/08/18 06:31 PM
05/08/18 06:31 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Start with a JC Conner rod swivel at the D ring then 3 links of #3 machine chain, attached to a crunch proof swivel attached to 12 more inches of #3 chain , 18 inches total to the anchor point.. Notice most trappers where there is extended check laws use long chain setups. I used to be a short chain guy until I tried longer chains. I loose fewer coon too..... And zero lost coyotes..

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6236057
05/08/18 07:45 PM
05/08/18 07:45 PM
SW Idaho
S
trapper
trapper
S

SW Idaho
Thanks all who replied to this thread. Anyone else is welcome to...I'm still checking it (I'm the OP).

A lot of what you guys wrote makes a lot of sense to me and I don't think I would have ever considered things like species, soil, and anchoring systems. Seems like what length of chain I use and how I anchor it would vary from set to set.

The traps that I have accumulated so far....most of them have the swivel-10" of chain-swivel configuration. Some of them have roughly 18" of the figure-8-type chain.

Does it make sense to configure them all to the shorter chain length, then add pre-made lengths as conditions dictate? I suppose using a quick-link to join the two lengths would work???

As to my anchoring system, right now I have earth anchors and like them. The few traps I've bedded I've driven in the earth anchor and then pulled like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) on it and it didn't move. Then again I was in soil that wasn't disturbed by ground squirrels, badgers, etc.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6236328
05/09/18 08:22 AM
05/09/18 08:22 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Soil type and anchor type should dictate chain length.

The old timers used and advocated long chain because they had limited anchoring options and most of them were poor by today’s standards.

With the anchoring/staking options today, there’s shouldn’t be much need for “long” (36”+) chains anymore other than on drags.

8-18” inches total outta suffice for most applications. THREE swivels. And I’d ditch the twin loop. Machine chain lasts longer and isn’t as much of a pain in the bottom of the bed like twin loop is.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6236412
05/09/18 11:20 AM
05/09/18 11:20 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I was told buy an old wolfer the reason for the long chain set ups were for ease In remaking the set. Makes sense when you think about It.

I use about 16" with 3 swivels on all my dirt sets. Seems to work pretty good.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6238025
05/11/18 02:26 PM
05/11/18 02:26 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Lots of good info so far. One thing not mentioned is stake pumping. Consider this setup: short chain, rebar stake, swivel at stake, perhaps soil wetted than when stake was originally driven. Coyote stands jumping on hind feet, jerks stake slightly upward, swivel slides down stake and locks on rebar ridges lower on the stake. Repetition of that process pumps stake out of ground.

If you already that excuse me for being too elementary.

Last edited by Furvor; 05/11/18 02:32 PM.
Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6238095
05/11/18 05:15 PM
05/11/18 05:15 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I mostly use chained super stakes but when I use rebar it's always 2 cross staked.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6239380
05/13/18 05:09 PM
05/13/18 05:09 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Our anchoring methods have come so far,since I started.I use short chains in the 8-12" range and sometimes have an additional 6" of anchor chain above ground and never worry about coyotes pumping stakes.All mine are either double staked or on earth anchors,except for an occasional drag,where needed.In the dead of Winter,when the ground is frozen flint hard,I've started pre-drilling 18" stake holes with a long,1/2" masonry bit.These are cross staked as well and it takes very little tapping to get a rebar stake in.I honestly believe you could tap it in with a tack hammer,yet they have always held.Even those where the ground later thawed completely out,were not budged by coyotes.

Some say that a coyote fights a trap less with a longer chain and I don't dispute that.A longer chain does give them more momentum but again,with proper staking techniques,it's a moot point.Use what you like.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6239816
05/14/18 08:25 AM
05/14/18 08:25 AM
SE PA ,VT,
L
luvcanids Offline
trapper
luvcanids  Offline
trapper
L

SE PA ,VT,
Use to use hd berks with 12-14 in of chain —very few problems on 24 hr check —-now have gone to fangs with same chain length on 24 check. NO problems.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6239985
05/14/18 12:30 PM
05/14/18 12:30 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So your pre drilling and then shoving In your stakes and cross staking. I think I might just have to do that In our frozen ground. My shoulder just can't take all that pounding anymore.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6240153
05/14/18 06:43 PM
05/14/18 06:43 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Yes Beav.I have a 1/2"x21",Bosch,masonry bit.I drill all the way for rebar stakes and about 16" for 18" smooth stakes.These are all,crossed stakes-no singles.I'm using either a 20V Dewalt,hammer drill or 20V rotary hammer.I can drill a hole in frozen ground faster than I can pound a stake in with a 5# hammer and no strain on my shoulder or wrist.Give this a try Beav.This will take the fight out of driving those stakes

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6240324
05/14/18 10:23 PM
05/14/18 10:23 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Thanks for the tip I'm going to go that way this winter.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: Taximan] #6240543
05/15/18 08:32 AM
05/15/18 08:32 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted By: Taximan
Yes Beav.I have a 1/2"x21",Bosch,masonry bit.I drill all the way for rebar stakes and about 16" for 18" smooth stakes.These are all,crossed stakes-no singles.I'm using either a 20V Dewalt,hammer drill or 20V rotary hammer.I can drill a hole in frozen ground faster than I can pound a stake in with a 5# hammer and no strain on my shoulder or wrist.Give this a try Beav.This will take the fight out of driving those stakes

How often do you use the hammer drill?

I played with the hammer drill last fall. Hard frosty DRY ground, but not froze yet.

I was ready to boot the thing into the creek. Didnt work worth a crap.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6240613
05/15/18 10:30 AM
05/15/18 10:30 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Would a regular rotary type cordless work better In that type of soil? Might not bust up the ground like a hammer drill.

I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6240634
05/15/18 11:11 AM
05/15/18 11:11 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Taximan previously suggested his system of pre-drilling stake holes in frozen ground. I have benefited from his wisdom. I use a Milwaukee 1/2” 18 volt hammer drill with a side handle to power the extra long Bosch carbide tipped masonry bits. I carry a couple extra batteries. I carry both 3/8” and 1/2” bits for both stake sizes. I also use an extra long Bosch carbide tipped 1” masonry bit to dig out trap beds and dirt holes. I already had the hammer drill and batteries for carpentry work. The Bosch bits are expensive but they last very well.

For many years, I have used the same hammer drill in unfrozen ground with an auger bit to dig dirt holes. And I use a long ship auger bit to drill pilot holes for stakes and pilot holes for finned super stakes. Even in unfrozen ground, the pilot holes save time and makes driving stakes easier.

I use this same size battery to power quite a few tools, so I have 6 batteries. Because of extensive year round use and the nature of these rechargeable batteries, each year 1 or 2 wear out or hold only a reduced charge. So I add / replace two batteries each year to maintain 6 strong batteries. I look for higher amp hour ratings in the same size batteries. 3300 makes a big difference over 2500. eBay or amazon has the best price for generic replacements. I have found that the batteries last much longer if they are protected from extreme cold and extreme heat. So, I store them fully charged in heated / air conditioned storage. Another tip that helps is to label the batteries with the date of purchase and a specific reference number. That way I can easily monitor each battery’s age and performance. So for example, if battery #3 is consistently only holding a reduced charge, it will be replaced the next time. This little bit of extra care has saved much money on replacement batteries.

Boone - what hammer drill did you try? Size matters - the larger hammer drills with larger battery capacity and more volts make a big difference. A side handle also makes a big difference. What auger or bits? With masonry bits, quality is important. Good sharp carbide - and the Bosch bits are top quality. Hard frosty dry ground is usually easy to drill with this system.

Taximan recommended a rotary hammer as being better than the 1/2” hammer drill. And it can be used without the rotation to chisel out a trap bed. I would certainly like to use one, but I already have the good hammer drill and batteries. A new Milwaukee rotary hammer with 2 batteries and charger costs $500. With the present unfortunate low fur prices, I will not be buying the rotary hammer - I had to replace a couple other significant tools this year.

Taximan’s system works great and saves extra wear and tear on my broken up wrists and shoulders. It saves time too. Thank you Taximan for the great ideas and tips!

Best wishes to all.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Chain length and type? [Re: Boone Liane] #6240732
05/15/18 01:53 PM
05/15/18 01:53 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted By: Boone Liane
Originally Posted By: Taximan

How often do you use the hammer drill?

I played with the hammer drill last fall. Hard frosty DRY ground, but not froze yet.

I was ready to boot the thing into the creek. Didnt work worth a crap.

Boone,I used it in the early season with 1 1/2" and 3" augers.Mine is a 20V Dewalt hammer drill.It worked well.In fact,in our rocky ground,it would sometimes get caught and it will wrench the heck out of you wrist.The augers haven't worked after the ground freezez hard.

By mid-Winter,the ground was too hard for the sod buster to be practical and I bought the Dewalt rotary hammer.It has drill mode,hammer drill mode and hammer mode which is like a mini jack hammer.I will probably use this one exclusively and use the other one in the shop.It's not that it's better but the hammer mode with a 1 1/2" tile chisel is great for chipping out trap beds in flint hard ground.A real plus is that it does't throw chips.They just roll off the chisel.Another good feature of the rotary hammer is it uses the SDS Plus system where you just push the bit in an turn slightly and to release,just pull a release collar.It's a pretty slick,quick change feature.It does mean you need SDS bits or an adapter chuck,which is what I use on my augers.I believe the rotary hammer may have more torque but I'd have to look that up.

When the ground gets that hard,I give up on the augers and use a 1" masonry bit for the occasional mouse hole.My rotary hammer cost $300 with two 4AH batteries and charger.

Beav,I haven't tried the regular drill mode but think it may work.It would be worth a try anyway.

Re: Chain length and type? [Re: SleeplessKnights] #6241175
05/15/18 11:55 PM
05/15/18 11:55 PM
SW Idaho
S
trapper
trapper
S

SW Idaho
OP here......this is awesome stuff guys! I would have never thought of using a hammer drill! I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Its nice to be thinking about trapping this coming fall/winter at this time of year!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91