ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrels with pinkies #6236381
05/09/18 10:14 AM
05/09/18 10:14 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
How do you guys deal with removing squirrels from attics with no access and walls when you believe that there are pinkies inside somewhere? Do you catch the female to confirm and then start trying to find them, or wait until the young are active? It seems asking them to wait may be problematic (they may get frustrated and try something/someone else), but better than creating an odor problem.

Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6236807
05/09/18 09:13 PM
05/09/18 09:13 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
That's called a second job

Catching the adults is a job, searching out little ones and removing is extra

Little bitty ones, not going to make noise and you may not find, but that small will likely not stink

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6237025
05/10/18 12:29 AM
05/10/18 12:29 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
So how do you go about finding them, when there is no access? I can't imagine starting to cut holes just to check. One job turned out that they are mobile and I got five while I stood there waiting. The other one I'm just going to wait another couple of weeks. But I am still interested in how everyone else does it.

Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6237107
05/10/18 06:59 AM
05/10/18 06:59 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
If there is no access and the customer knows this, they decide if they want to wait or proceed. As well as decide if they want to pay you to create an access (if it even possible)

A lot of what we do is based on what the cutomer is willing to pay for

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 05/10/18 07:00 AM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6237117
05/10/18 07:23 AM
05/10/18 07:23 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We have a job now with the exact circumstances. I advised the client to wait until the suspected juveniles are mobile enough to move about well enough to be trapped or excluded. or

To be sure we can trap the adult(s) examine them for the presence of a lactating female if there may be more then one occupant. If so, I would release the female and go back at a later date and exclude them all in a few days when the time is determined to be right.

We have done this many times in the past with success. Some of the large homes that we work on are very large and finding the nest site may be near impossible. Many nest sites are down in the walls that are not really accessible reasonably speaking.

Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6237445
05/10/18 05:02 PM
05/10/18 05:02 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Inspection found that the young we're mobile and I removed them. The other client agreed to wait a couple of weeks. I still get nervous this time of year though.

Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6237611
05/10/18 09:25 PM
05/10/18 09:25 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
your customer can tell you, if you ask the right questions. catch the female check her out. if the hair is slightly parted around the nipples and pink chafed or black in color. most likely pinkies. The older they get the more the nipples will turn black in color or pink and hair will be parted very pronounced around the nipples also a little swollen. if really swollen and hanging then pups are mobile. I have pic's but can't post them on here.
The pinkies will be where the customer hears the noise start first thing in then morning and the last place they hear them at dark. when the young get 3 tom4 weeks old they will make a little noise in the nest area day or a little at night.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrels with pinkies [Re: webfootwhacker] #6237754
05/11/18 12:07 AM
05/11/18 12:07 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks Jonesie, I was hoping you would add to this discussion. I have another new one to inspect tomorrow - gotta love spring.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread