No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Derringer #6240312
05/14/18 10:13 PM
05/14/18 10:13 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Do many of you like those little Derringers? I'm surprised how many different calibers they make them in.

Something like this maybe: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411549917/cobra

Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240336
05/14/18 10:36 PM
05/14/18 10:36 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa

What more incentive do you need to get one? smile

Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240365
05/14/18 11:01 PM
05/14/18 11:01 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Nope, good for hide out is about all. Any caliber larger than a .380 can be painful to shoot. I have seen the action break open just from a shot being fired. I don't know of any reputable mfg. making them since Freedom Arms stopped making the little revolver.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240379
05/14/18 11:15 PM
05/14/18 11:15 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Most trigger pulls are horrendous making it about impossible to hit anything past the end of the barrel! With no trigger guards on some of them the "safety" is the 10 pound trigger pull. LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240394
05/14/18 11:40 PM
05/14/18 11:40 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Saved my Mom at a couple guns shows from buying some. She is ~4'10" ish. Small framed. Had some guys trying to sell her 45 colt versions. One good thing going for her is she consults one of her sons before buying a gun. She knows what she likes but knows she needs to consult one of her boys before buying. Not sure what went through the potential sellers minds when she brought me over. I did make it very obvious that a gun that small in 45 colt would not be what she wants. Truth be told the one may have sold me a pistol had he not tried to pull that crap on my Mom.

Fortunately they are few and far between. But they are out there. There have been many that have told her right out that she would not like shooting the gun she was looking at. Most seem to be this way. She isn't the brightest with guns but she has spent that last 20 years or so listening to her boys. She knows when to get a second opinion.

On that note, my little brother bought one of them pocket pistols. Maybe a semi deep pocket pistol. I think the barrel was maybe 4". Dang thing is a 45-70 one barrel 410 the other. Well, after some liquid courage a few of us had to try it. That thing hit about 2' high at 20'. That was with factory loads. Don't ask me were I got them but they were factory loads. Shooting two hands wasn't all that bad. Turns out one of the guys forgot to take his testosterone pill and backed out from shooting it. That left an extra shell. Go back with ammo, I don't think so. I couldn't find a suitable place to set my liquid courage so I held it and shot one handed. I proved it can be done tho I would advise putting some tape on your knuckles and a piece of leather in the spot between your thumb and booger hook.

I have shot my 454 and my 500 one handed but that little thing had some ROCK to it. No, it didn't kick as bad as them. However, I will shoot the 454 and 500 again one handed, can't say the same about that derringer. Maybe if you put some money one the table, but I am good for now. I got my card, I am the only one so far.

To answer your question, why would you go for one of them when you can get a gun that can hold more shells and can be just as concealable? If you have time to pull it out of your pocket, you have plenty of time to pull it from you waist band.

Jerry Jr.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240396
05/14/18 11:56 PM
05/14/18 11:56 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
cmcf and lawdog, You both pointed out some very good things. I hadn't really thought about it but they are some of the reasons why I talked her out of them. But then again, I may be going about this the wrong way. At some point my brother and I will get all the guns our Mom has bought. Maybe I should be encouraging her to buy them all. Naw, I will just let her keep buying things for her grand kids. I will keep her straight on the guns, but this makes me think that she could use a rifle in, say, 7mm-08? Yeah that will be a good one for a grand kid, I mean her. whistle

Jerry Jr.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240413
05/15/18 12:44 AM
05/15/18 12:44 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
High Standard made one in 22 mag. I believe it's the DM101 or 100. I got a couple. Make good concealed carry. The triggers are heavy though.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240432
05/15/18 01:02 AM
05/15/18 01:02 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
My Maternal Grandfather had a little 2 shot derringer, I think it was the only pistol he had. He had lots of long guns.

He always carried it when he went to Southeast Ohio. My Uncle had a cabin where Vinton and Meigs Counties came together and my Grandfather always thought there was likely to be trouble there. I never knew him to carry the derringer anywhere else. He told me you basically stuck it in someone and pulled the trigger.

Keith

Re: Derringer [Re: AJE] #6240480
05/15/18 06:13 AM
05/15/18 06:13 AM
Mn
W
Whopper Stopper Offline
trapper
Whopper Stopper  Offline
trapper
W

Mn
I have a Bond Arms Snake Slayer. It is a quality made handgun with solid Rosewood grips. I have a couple barrels but my favorite is the over under.410. Using Hornady Critical Defense shot shells, you certainly would make your presence known in a close and personal situation. The Snake Slayer has a little bigger grip than some of their offerings,however it's still not something you would go to the range and shoot 25 times.

WS

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread