Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: wy.wolfer] #6246846
05/24/18 12:17 PM
05/24/18 12:17 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
so to keep the conversation in context. The question is about non-resident aliens(NRA) being able to trap. It appears there is little opportunity for a NRA to trap in Canada. NRA can trap in Alaska with the same seasons and bag limits that residents have to adhere to. Can NRA trap in Wy.? Is there any other states that allow NRA to trap?

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6246895
05/24/18 01:43 PM
05/24/18 01:43 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Non resident aliens can buy a license to trap in Wyoming, and go trap without a guide or an outfitter. I don't think a NRA can buy a license to trap anywhere in Canada, even on private land on their own. Is that true?

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6246905
05/24/18 01:48 PM
05/24/18 01:48 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I seen on the news today where a couple guys from Minnesota were charged $6000 for trapping without a licence and possession of traps in Ontario.Dont know what the circumstances were,whether they were on private land or with someone on his registered trapline.

Last edited by Boco; 05/24/18 01:51 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: Boco] #6246913
05/24/18 02:02 PM
05/24/18 02:02 PM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Boco
In Canada the Aboriginal peoples have the right to harvest(hunt trap and fish)protected in the Constitution.
For the rest of us it is a privilege that we take very seriously and protect.

Boco> but in the same breath the natives are taking back most of Quebec at least the caribou grounds as there own again, eliminating hunting potentials for both your residents and US, such as myself. At least that was what I was told by my Canadian guides 2016 in kuujjauq,Quebec.So I assume your as Residents will suffer as they give in to tribal demands.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6246920
05/24/18 02:19 PM
05/24/18 02:19 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yes indeed,modern land claims in areas not already under a treaty in some cases include self government,especially over resources.You will need the approval of the native government in order to trap on Native territory,just like any other resource development.Just like you do in any soverign nation.
The Natives are not "taking back" territory-If they signed no treaty they never gave it up in the first place.
We are under treaty 9,one of the so called Numbered Treatys.
I have never found the FN exclusionary to development in their territory,they just want to be included and have a say on what and how development takes place,and rightfully so.

Last edited by Boco; 05/24/18 02:26 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6246940
05/24/18 02:42 PM
05/24/18 02:42 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Here in Yukon land claims has little effect on private registered traplines. FN are required to give access to trappers that have to cross settlement land. In some areas we need to get their permission to hunt, but I have always found them great to deal with.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman