No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: The Beav] #6252114
06/01/18 11:30 PM
06/01/18 11:30 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
If your going to tell a story at least tell a true story without all of the drama BS! How is a 90+ season booted? I don't like it either but booted is total crap!

Do a little research and see how many species are closed to NR in other States check NV, MI, MT start there then look in the archives for many past discussion before buying into a few cheap shots being thrown around!

Well did you vote to limit Non resident Trapping In SD?

Heck no did you ever trap SD?

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Law Dog] #6252518
06/02/18 02:43 PM
06/02/18 02:43 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
If your going to tell a story at least tell a true story without all of the drama BS! How is a 90+ season booted? I don't like it either but booted is total crap!

Do a little research and see how many species are closed to NR in other States check NV, MI, MT start there then look in the archives for many past discussion before buying into a few cheap shots being thrown around!

Nice try at your BS spin of the facts there buckwheat, but lets clarify that a little here....you and your cronys petitioned to keep NR trappers out for the first 30 days of the season, and the last 60, eliminating pretty much ALL open water muskrat trapping for all NR trappers....Gee come to SD in dead of winter for around $300 to trap nothing but winter rats!.....actually, ya already HAD the open water first 30 days all to yourself.....

Beadle told me the first year I went to SD, even with the high price of rats, less than 10% if the availeble sloughs get trapped, and I found that to be about correct.....and then, the facts of the matter were at that time, once Beadle (the driving force in the muskrat market of SD) would drop the carcass price down below $3, all the locals would quit because they are too lazy to skin....that would happen the 5th-10th of April, leaving a least 20 days left of the season, when it would become a ghost town of trappers minus a few NR here and there that stuck it out and would skin their catch.....and EVERYONE except a handfull of greedy local trappers were glad to see ANYONE trapping rats, your Roads and Hiway Dept, your county commisioneers who had to maintain the caved in roads......and for more than over 50% of the spring open water season, nearly all local trappers would sit it out cause they couldnt sharpen a knife!

When SD dried up and the rats were gone, guess where everyone in SD went?...Right up to ND that didnt get on the greed train along with ya, but you guys ALMOST managed to get ND to follow suit once everyone from SD showed up for spring rat trapping up there.....We want OUR gravy train ALL to ourselves, but dont mind if we do, and hop on someone else gravy train, and in the process spread your bs greed agenda North of your own border.....and the driving motivation in ND wasnt so much NR trappers in general, but more specific, NR trappers from SD having their way in our sand box, but not allowing us into YOUR sand box

Never mind the futile attempts made on this very site by some SD trappers, to try to spread the BIG FAT LIE, that Nebraska had eliminated SD residents from buying a NR Nebr fur harvest permit, due to SD limiting NR trapping opportunities, and now big mean Nebr gives us the total boot......nice try trying to save face with THAT little bag of bs you were trying to gain traction with...... and that would sure put a crimp on the 1/2 doz/to doz SD East River (east river SD bobcat trapping NOT allowed) trappers that buy a Nebr for the sole purpose of black marketing their illegal east river bobcat catch....

So.....before the national money begging campaigne begins to help save the poor oppressed SD trappers facing their anti-trapping legislation.....I think its compleatly fair to review history and let everyone NOT from SD know the truth about what brother trapper did to their fellow trapper in the past

Last edited by Rich Kaspar; 06/02/18 03:06 PM.

If you are considering yourself to be someone of influence and importance, just try ordering someone elses dog around sometime.
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252522
06/02/18 02:56 PM
06/02/18 02:56 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Well said Rich.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252523
06/02/18 02:59 PM
06/02/18 02:59 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
My pleasure Gary

If you are considering yourself to be someone of influence and importance, just try ordering someone elses dog around sometime.
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252532
06/02/18 03:35 PM
06/02/18 03:35 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I trap them same 90 days I trap through the winter months it's obvious you have never been here or love the drama, I trap the majority of my rats through the ice every year (buy a freaking auger!), the fact that you only think we have muskrats here says a lot we have a lot more to offer always have.

I have trapped all over and access is a key issue you can buy a license and never get access to use it and many places you will get froze out and snowed out, that is seldom happens here that a guy can work around.

I don't like the shorter season never did but I can do as much about it as MN guys can to get a season going there, you look around many States block NR from trapping species residents can trap just make SD your whipping boy! SD and NE have similar so do you get snowed out every year there?

Most of the complainers never plan to come here never did just can't pass up a cheap shot, people coming here will find a great trapping experience but the ones sitting at the keyboards never will do anything but complain.

So if you come out and have a bad experience lets hear it if your clueless never been here and don't plan on coming, stop with the cheap shots it's not helping anything.

Not a person on here that asks me a question that does not get a respectful reply in a timely manner weather it be about hunting or trapping so quit bashing a whole State with a lot to offer the one's that want a great experience in trapping.

There is a big difference between the 13 and the other trappers in SD that's just childish to think everyone is the same and the BS promotes trapper against trapper with the reindeer games some like to play.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252540
06/02/18 03:50 PM
06/02/18 03:50 PM
Nebr
R
Rich Kaspar Offline
trapper
Rich Kaspar  Offline
trapper
R

Nebr
I never been there?....really.....couple DVD with me in em might say different...2 spring seasons and 2 winters of 2-3 weeks in SD....

Buy an auger?....I made augers moron

...and wh0 started the "reindeer games" to start with?......would this conversation even be happening w/o the "reindeer games" SD trappers started?.....answear THAT one buckwheat.....

Sorry if your little ploy to forget the past of what happened in SD inst to your liking,...but, just like the holocaust, history is history, no matter how ugly the real truth of it is, no matter what spin you want to put on it......

Sorry, but when the tin cup gets passed around to help SD trappers....think Ill pass.....

Last edited by Rich Kaspar; 06/02/18 03:59 PM.

Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252567
06/02/18 04:51 PM
06/02/18 04:51 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Never heard of ya, the "never been to SD" was a question not a statement then I said the "get a freaking Auger thing because that's exactly what I did to trap rats, so much drama your missing the point! If you have been to SD and still don't get you never will I guess.

If you look back the bashing did not start with me but that won't fit the bill for you, like I said many times I don't like the way it's set up never did but you keep missing that I guess. I'm saying SD is way better then a lot of places I have trapped in the past and would be a dream to trap for many on here.

I guess looking at the positive doesn't fit the drama thing. As far as not supporting SD in any way I will continue to support other trappers no matter where they live.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Rich Kaspar] #6252570
06/02/18 04:52 PM
06/02/18 04:52 PM
West Central Iowa
4 Fur Offline
trapper
4 Fur  Offline
trapper

West Central Iowa
I always appreciate your posts and pictures Law Dog and have zero problem with you. But I guess I do have a problem with you minimizing how wrong the rule change that restricted NR trapping and effectively eliminated open water rat trapping in SD for reciprocal NRs. Glad you weren't one of the 13 guys, but if you witnessed 13 guys raping a women wouldn't you do something beside saying, "Hey it wasn't me?" Please Law Dog (and other non-13 SD trappers), will you at least try to get this law changed? Don't you agree it would be the right thing?

Life Member NTA, FHA and Iowa Trappers Association
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252571
06/02/18 04:55 PM
06/02/18 04:55 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Back to the OP I will go to my local GFP office on Monday and talk with my CO's and regional supervisor and bring the different types of snares with me and go over them with them! Anybody else has any ideas lets hear them.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252573
06/02/18 05:06 PM
06/02/18 05:06 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Grass Roots will be the way to beat this back. Don't just contact GFP. call legislators as well.

When we get NR trapping in aMN I'm coming Jerry. It will be in winter

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252576
06/02/18 05:10 PM
06/02/18 05:10 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Like I said I don't like it but like always a guy has to make the best of it, a lot of guys in MN worked hard to get NR trapping there but did not fly I don't blame them all for it but the one's that make the comments just blow my mind at the irony of it.

If you ever trapped in say IL you might understand what I'm saying or what I'm trying to get across with making the best of it VS having nothing either by law or by choice.

We have a LOT of advantages that other States can't/don't offer is what I see so I see what can be gained but other focus on what we have no control of and miss the big picture.

A lot of guys would love to catch a badger, pale yote or a nice cat without a limit I just can't see taking that away from them over unfair dates. If I go to another State I have to make it work for me right? I will mention to GFP the season is unfair again on Monday but I'm afraid little will be done about it.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Steven 49er] #6252578
06/02/18 05:11 PM
06/02/18 05:11 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Grass Roots will be the way to beat this back. Don't just contact GFP. call legislators as well.

When we get NR trapping in aMN I'm coming Jerry. It will be in winter

Have a spare room waiting for you Steve if my dog does not lick you to death!

My thought is these guys will be at those "secret" meetings and it won't hurt to educate them!

Last edited by Law Dog; 06/02/18 05:12 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Law Dog] #6252583
06/02/18 05:15 PM
06/02/18 05:15 PM
West Central Iowa
4 Fur Offline
trapper
4 Fur  Offline
trapper

West Central Iowa
Back to the OP I will go to my local GFP office on Monday and talk with my CO's and regional supervisor and bring the different types of snares with me and go over them with them! Anybody else has any ideas lets hear them.

How about suggesting they review the NR season trapping dates? Open up with the idea of changing NR pheasant shooting hours to sunset to sunrise lol. Then tell them the rule change was not based on sound wildlife management principles and they are underestimating the economic impact it has on SD's economy. If you think it has cast an unfavorable image on SD residents, more specifically SD resident trappers and outdoors men, tell them that as well. Good luck on Monday Law Dog. It may not help but much respect for trying!

Life Member NTA, FHA and Iowa Trappers Association
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252592
06/02/18 05:24 PM
06/02/18 05:24 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
They don't like to hear from me on the pheasant season thing either! LOL I think it's a slap in the face to pound public (youth/Resident) seasons then some poor working guy comes from out of State and pays the big buck for 3rd pass on public! When I see a out of State hunter in my trapping area I try to put them on birds where I have been seeing them. Don't get me wrong the youth hunt is no biggie but seeing a guy with a few thousand acers pounding public is just wrong to me.

I make it a point not to carry a shotgun while trapping I like to trap I don't want to appear greedy and trap and hunt everything. Trapping here is a landowner service but hunting is a privilege granted by the landowner, I'd rather be giving then getting I guess.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252594
06/02/18 05:25 PM
06/02/18 05:25 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline OP
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline OP
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
Answer to The Beav,
The second sentence of my post states "The dog survived and is fine".
The dog was not injured.
Thank you Steven 49er for your comment about the "Hi Jacking".
We are just trying to preserve trapping/snaring in SD.
Can you envision how any anti's monitoring this post would be encouraged by the bickering among our ranks?

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252598
06/02/18 05:28 PM
06/02/18 05:28 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Larry Bowden
Answer to The Beav,
The second sentence of my post states "The dog survived and is fine".
The dog was not injured.
Thank you Steven 49er for your comment about the "Hi Jacking".
We are just trying to preserve trapping/snaring in SD.
Can you envision how any anti's monitoring this post would be encouraged by the bickering among our ranks?

Always the same results here on any SD posts. I will visit with the State trapper here and see what the "real" issue is, my guess is a guy with some bucks or friends with bucks is the dogs owner!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252610
06/02/18 06:04 PM
06/02/18 06:04 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Oh, don't get me wrong Larry, I'm all for bickering but lets start another post and I'll let er rip lol.g

These issues are going to challenge us all constantly going forward and I think we should all be unified.

But makes it difficult to be.unified when states like MN and SD discriminate against their brothers for no sound biological reason.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252613
06/02/18 06:12 PM
06/02/18 06:12 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline OP
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline OP
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
Law Dog,
The proposal was generated from WITHIN the GF&P Commission. It was NOT a recommendation from the GF&P staff to the commission.
Please spend your time by getting on gfp.sd.gov and follow the instructions on page two of my post to register your opposition to "Trapping Prohibitions". This has to be done THIS WEEKEND to be counted. If you wait until Monday your opinion will NOT be counted. It has to be submitted 72 hours before the day the commission meets.
Visiting with your state trapper would be fine but it will do NOTHING to stop or limit this proposal. Ever heard the quote about "preaching to the choir"? Your state trapper or any of the other GF&P staff will NOT be voting on this next Thursday or Friday. The SD GF&P COMMISSIONERS are the only ones who WILL be voting on this proposal June 7th or 8th.
Thank you for helping and please contact anyone else who will oppose this.
Larry

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Rich Kaspar] #6252629
06/02/18 06:42 PM
06/02/18 06:42 PM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
Originally Posted By: Rich Kaspar

Nice try at your BS spin of the facts there buckwheat, but lets clarify that a little here....you and your cronys petitioned to keep NR trappers out for the first 30 days of the season, and the last 60, eliminating pretty much ALL open water muskrat trapping for all NR trappers....Gee come to SD in dead of winter for around $300 to trap nothing but winter rats!.....actually, ya already HAD the open water first 30 days all to yourself.....

Beadle told me the first year I went to SD, even with the high price of rats, less than 10% if the availeble sloughs get trapped, and I found that to be about correct.....and then, the facts of the matter were at that time, once Beadle (the driving force in the muskrat market of SD) would drop the carcass price down below $3, all the locals would quit because they are too lazy to skin....that would happen the 5th-10th of April, leaving a least 20 days left of the season, when it would become a ghost town of trappers minus a few NR here and there that stuck it out and would skin their catch.....and EVERYONE except a handfull of greedy local trappers were glad to see ANYONE trapping rats, your Roads and Hiway Dept, your county commisioneers who had to maintain the caved in roads......and for more than over 50% of the spring open water season, nearly all local trappers would sit it out cause they couldnt sharpen a knife!

When SD dried up and the rats were gone, guess where everyone in SD went?...Right up to ND that didnt get on the greed train along with ya, but you guys ALMOST managed to get ND to follow suit once everyone from SD showed up for spring rat trapping up there.....We want OUR gravy train ALL to ourselves, but dont mind if we do, and hop on someone else gravy train, and in the process spread your bs greed agenda North of your own border.....and the driving motivation in ND wasnt so much NR trappers in general, but more specific, NR trappers from SD having their way in our sand box, but not allowing us into YOUR sand box

Never mind the futile attempts made on this very site by some SD trappers, to try to spread the BIG FAT LIE, that Nebraska had eliminated SD residents from buying a NR Nebr fur harvest permit, due to SD limiting NR trapping opportunities, and now big mean Nebr gives us the total boot......nice try trying to save face with THAT little bag of bs you were trying to gain traction with...... and that would sure put a crimp on the 1/2 doz/to doz SD East River (east river SD bobcat trapping NOT allowed) trappers that buy a Nebr for the sole purpose of black marketing their illegal east river bobcat catch....

So.....before the national money begging campaigne begins to help save the poor oppressed SD trappers facing their anti-trapping legislation.....I think its compleatly fair to review history and let everyone NOT from SD know the truth about what brother trapper did to their fellow trapper in the past
Good post Rich. Well put. Pretty eloquent for a Nebraska hillbilly grin

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: South Dakota proposed trapping regulations [Re: Larry Bowden] #6252630
06/02/18 06:43 PM
06/02/18 06:43 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Will do on it now!

Jerry Herbst
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread