Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: TDHP] #6262142
06/18/18 12:08 PM
06/18/18 12:08 PM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted By: TDHP
Originally Posted By: lureintheanimal
'Coons WILL lick a garbage can clean that has bbq sauce in/on/or otherwise, gotta have a lot of smoky molasses bbq sauce on chicken bones, ribs, garbage, any good chow with bbq sauce smeared will bring the whole family of'Coons, they'll be after faster than a bloodhound after a criminal! LOL, they don't howl, just chatter all night long, them 'Coon will take metal and all, cardboard barrels the'll eat the cardboard, these days plastic barrels are open seasons, do not have to jar any of it, just expose it to them 'Coon! Viola! Coon Crazy!
You Got 'Coon! in your pocket/shed/truck bed/over your shoulder everywhere! It's the molasses that has the neurotransmitter in it! grin

lmao, lemme tink f0 a min. open jar...dip a stick hang or smear in cage...move on... Or mess around with bbq and chicken bones or whatever else you got going. lol

What if I bury the bait with salted sand, will it improve? sleep

NO NEED TO JAR IT! grin

GET THEM GRILLS A SMOK'IN! smile

NO NEED TO SMEAR IT! JUST EXPOSE TO THE 'COON, 'COON COME RUNNING, STAY ALL NIGHT, ALL NIGHT FOR WEEKS! BEST TO BE CLOSE TO A WATER SOURCE! 'COON MARRIOT HOTEL GRAND OPENING! SEMI-TRUCKS LOADED WITH 'COON CAGES, ARRIVING SOON! grin

BEAR LOVE'UM ALSO, BECAREFUL YOU MAY HAVE BLACKIE BEARS TO VISIT ON YOUR RETURN! ADD A BIT-O-HONEY smile

CHOW ON A DOZEN BUCKETS OF BBQ RIBS AND CHICKEN 'SPECIAL' LOADED WITH 'BLACK' BLACK STRAP MOLASSES BBQ SAUCE, GET THE BIG BUCKETS! TRUCKLOADS, PILE'EM UP IN CAGES OR ANYWHERE! AND EXPOSE THEM TO THE'COON, THEY'LL LOVE 'UM! CALL KFC, POPEYE'S, CALL ALL OF 'UM, CHICKEN, RIBS, ANOTHER GOOD'IN IS CHICKEN AND RIBS FROM THE SMOKEHOUSES (A TAD BETTER), GATHER ALL THROWOUTS AFTER HOURS, SAVE A LOT TIME EATING! 'COON COME EASY! NO NEED TO SKIMP, HAVE A LOT OF 'COON! 'COON AMOUNG THE EASIEST CRITTERS ON EARTH TO GET EATING, THEY'LL BE TELLIN THERE GREAT GREAT GREAT GRAND 'COONS FROM DECADES PAST, WE HIT THE MOTHER LOAD! COME OUT OF YOUR SKINNED HIDES AND SHOW UP, YOUR CHANCE TO REGROW YOUR HIDES! grin

HARD TO BEAT!

GOODE 'OLE SWEET CORN/MILK IS A CLOSE 2nd, 'COON KNOCK DOWN HALF THE FIELD TO GET AT IT! grin

HICKORY / MESQUITE SMOKED 'BLACK' BBQ BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES TAD BETTER! THAT HARDWOOD SMOKE HAS A BIT OF ENZYME IN IT, CAUSE 'COON TO LOOSE THERE INTELIQ! grin "A THOUSAND 'COON"+ MAYBE MORE! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 'COON IN THE AREA, THEN THEY'LL PASS THE MESSAGE OUT FOR MILES AROUND, SAVE FUEL AND LEGWORK! grin
AND DON'T JAR IT, LET IT AGE A FEW DAYS OR SO 'OPEN AIR'! smile

HAVE "PLENTY" TRAPS! YOU'LL NEED 'UM! grin

SEND THEM BANANAS TO THE APES, THEY LOVE'UM! grin

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 06/18/18 01:31 PM.

vis vitalis
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: HOG TRAPPER] #6262327
06/18/18 06:57 PM
06/18/18 06:57 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
JAR IT! This stick is bigger......no..no. this stick is bigger! lmao C'mon mane! I jar mine, store them in the truck and have no problem trapping the intended target animals. SO I guess I'll continue to jar it! grin They do just fine!

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: HOG TRAPPER] #6274407
07/07/18 12:19 PM
07/07/18 12:19 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted By: HOG TRAPPER
looking for a good summer coon bait thanks

Just another example of IMO a "good" summertime coon trapping bait is sweet edible paste and in your face trap placement. This coon was wreaking havoc in a horse barn. Homeowner looked up all types of ways to trap them by using canned sardines, peanut butter and jelly sammich, marshmallows cooking grease and a bunch of other online methods that were supposed to put a raccoon in a trap. Homeowner has video of the racccoon walking right by his trap. Out of those baits I've used marshmallows that had an edible bait&lure on them with good results in the past. Keeping things basic and relatively simple has been key for taking raccoon for me in cages. Thick sweet paste placed in the back of the cage with an occupier if you feel you need one, which is a good idea because it serves as eye appeal and a stimulant to pique curiosity and IMO is better than relying on just their sense of smell. Adc work, the animal is already there, so some super strong calling bait&lure IMO isn't needed, and a lot of those "loud" bait&lures are overrated. If you're summertime raccoon trapping I would "assume" it's for adc purposes, if I'm wrong it doesn't matter because more times than not...the method works. ^5

This method in the field for fur trapping is effective as well, but like anything else placement is key. I use the same method in the winter months on a lot of raccoon with no issues. Just keeping it simple not over thinking the job and be confident in your setup. Confidence relates to knowing your animals habits, and giving your best educated guess on placement if there is no consistent pattern with video or distinct travel path. You don't need some elaborate setup or bait with 15 different ingredients in it to hammer coons. Being some what educated on the animals you target has more value than just throwing ingredients together hoping its a hit with wildlife. Example, having a good idea or knowing why your adding X to Y and what affects it has in or on that animal. This will expedite the learning curb and put more $ and fur in your traps. This was just a raccoon that had an attraction to the barn, but it was an expensive raccoon. No heavy lifting in raccoon trapping.

My setup was simple, edible attractive paste hanging from the cage placed in the middle of the barn front entry.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: HOG TRAPPER] #6274423
07/07/18 01:20 PM
07/07/18 01:20 PM
Southern OKLAHOMA
HOG TRAPPER Offline OP
trapper
HOG TRAPPER  Offline OP
trapper

Southern OKLAHOMA
I sure like good reads like this tdhp thanks

Re: Banana coon bait [Re: HOG TRAPPER] #6278761
07/14/18 08:20 AM
07/14/18 08:20 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted By: HOG TRAPPER
I sure like good reads like this tdhp thanks

I enjoy good reads as well. I would just remember to throw some of these reads back with a grain of salt and before thinking you need all these things to trap an animal, sit back and think about that animal and how it acts and present an attraction to it. Have a plan before you start the job. You will see sooner rather than later how easy most critters are to trap by utilizing their environment against them and to your advantage. Every now and then a little trickery is needed on some but it isn't as serious as some portray it to be, don't need a phd to trap raccoon. Sometimes it's just a case of the animal not being there at the time you place traps, but they'll be back. FYI that isn't a sign you need to go and change up your bait&lure or search the internet for the (SUPPAH DUPPAH ELITO) bait and lure that's been aged for years, not necessary. That's why you set multiple traps with different setups, (simple) setups. I would also take in consideration and this is JMO, adc work isn't about the numbers because you can only trap what is there. If your bait is working don't change it. I stick with what works, even if I see that others are using a particular bait and lure having success, if I'm getting the job done then I don't need to "enhance" or add anything. FIGHT THE URGE! smile Sounds repetitive but its true this game isn't hard by any means. The "you need this and that" is tougher to get past than actually coming up with a good summertime bait.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: HOG TRAPPER] #6278773
07/14/18 08:47 AM
07/14/18 08:47 AM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
I found that you don’t necessarily need to hang the bait from a stick if the bait is edible. You can just smear it on top of the cage at the point you’d ordinarily hang a bait stick.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: Jason Turner] #6278792
07/14/18 09:42 AM
07/14/18 09:42 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted By: Jason Turner
I found that you don’t necessarily need to hang the bait from a stick if the bait is edible. You can just smear it on top of the cage at the point you’d ordinarily hang a bait stick.

You don't need a bait stick, but for me it serves a few different purposes. 1 object to hold bait&lure. 2 Stimulant as simple as it looks, it's a factor. 3 to see what it does to the object. I've had bait sticks worn down by them licking the bait, to them eating a portion of the bait stick to eating the whole thing. That's just things I note when I'm trapping critters on a bait&lure.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Banana coon bait [Re: HOG TRAPPER] #6298013
08/09/18 05:21 PM
08/09/18 05:21 PM
Southern OKLAHOMA
HOG TRAPPER Offline OP
trapper
HOG TRAPPER  Offline OP
trapper

Southern OKLAHOMA
I made a bait of banana,cherry jello,and glycerin and my son caught coon all summer he was a happy trapper the coons were getting into chicken pens

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91