No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6258631 - 06/12/18 03:10 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: Tactical.20]
Riverotter2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Well said Kirk and very true.

#6258637 - 06/12/18 03:24 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: Tactical.20]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
That is a good point Kirk. In some situations people have to do what they have to do.

In the case I was talking about those gators were more of a nuisance to me trying to turtle trap than anyone else on that isolated stretch of river. The people that shot them were scum based solely on the fact that they shot them and left them to rot. I'd rather have the gators on the river than the scum who shot them.

#6258639 - 06/12/18 03:28 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: Tactical.20]
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper

Loc: central arkansas
Not arguing but would like to point out: that "scum" may have lost a loved one to a gator and are seeking revenge. Not sayin its right, but just pointing something out.

member FTA, NRA, SWARFTA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula

#6258658 - 06/12/18 04:14 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: the Blak Spot]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: the Blak Spot
Not arguing but would like to point out: that "scum" may have lost a loved one to a gator and are seeking revenge. Not sayin its right, but just pointing something out.

Well I guess that is possible but the one and only verified alligator fatlality in Louisiana occurred in 1774 so it is highly unlikely.

https://www.heraldguide.com/editorial/louisianas-only-fatal-alligator-attack/

When you live amongst them for your whole life you realize that fear and T.V has overblown the threat. I am not saying they aren't dangerous, just that they aren't that much of a problem.

Of course I think we probably hunt them harder judged by yearly harvest as a percentage of their total population than they do in other places. Maybe that is why we have so few problems.

As a side note, the guys that have gator tags for the area I was speaking of were not to happy with all the wasted gators. I know those guys pretty well and this happened a couple weeks before gator season that year. They had been after that 12 footer for a couple seasons. When I motored up to them while they were putting in at the boat ramp and told them what I had seen they had some choice words.

Edited by ShaneT (06/12/18 04:16 PM)

#6258706 - 06/12/18 05:44 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: Tactical.20]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
So what is the difference in killing those dangerous things and killing the poisionous snakes that everyone on here talks about.
Is it because the gators have a market value and the snakes don't?

#6258712 - 06/12/18 06:00 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: Boco]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco
So what is the difference in killing those dangerous things and killing the poisionous snakes that everyone on here talks about.
Is it because the gators have a market value and the snakes don't?

Valid question.

For me personally I only kill cottonmouths when they are raiding crawfish traps or when I feel I am in real danger of being bitten. Those things can be cantankerous and will literally charge. I have been charged by lots of cottonmouths but never a gator.

Rattlesnakes I tend to leave alone. When I do kill one I eat it and save the hide to give to a friend that makes stuff out of them.

#6259242 - 06/13/18 01:41 PM Re: Gator kills FL woman [Re: Tactical.20]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
I saw my first rattler in wy on gravel road last fall, 19 trips or more to wy, glad I never saw one here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2