ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6258633 - 06/12/18 03:12 PM beaver job
Uwe Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
beaver dam in small creek causing flooding and concerns for neighboring industrial park, went today and inspected the dam, no damage to trees in sight, can't see any beaver hut in good size marsh land, all probably a couple of feet deep. Land Owner wants beaver removed and water level lowered as neighbor is getting very nervous.
How would you go about it ?

#6258651 - 06/12/18 04:01 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Maybe you might describe what tools you have got to work with. What are your limitations?

#6258667 - 06/12/18 04:41 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Carefully. Iíd inspect the job to get an estimate on the population first, and then Iíd try my best to avoid going around the den and primary dam until after Iíve knocked back their numbers by picking them up from the edges of their core area

Donít Tread On Me!

#6258688 - 06/12/18 05:27 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Kirk De, Owner says whatever it takes. Limited by what's legal.
Thanks Aix sponsa, will try to get a handle on the population numbers. I am stomped by not seeing any sign yet, so they might be a ways away actually. Usually beaver activity has not been that hard to spot.

#6258783 - 06/12/18 08:26 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
That looks like an easy one.I would make a break in the dam about a foot deep and a foot wide as a draw,then I would set 6 sets lured with Bob Wilson's on the dam near the break,on each side,with the closest being about 10 feet from the break,and the rest 10 feet apart along the dam.Make sure no water is running over the dam where you make the lured sets.
After catching a few with the lured sets I would set the dam break itself with multiple submerged 330's out in front to take the stragglers.
After that I would rip the dam and return the water to natural flow,then check the house entrances for tracks in the mud to make sure all the beaver were eliminated.

Edited by Boco (06/12/18 08:29 PM)

#6259037 - 06/13/18 08:13 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

not sure setting the dam is legal for agents in WI, I think it's not, but have to check.
would you still use a castor based lure or more a curiosity food lure?

#6259110 - 06/13/18 10:06 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Boco Offline
trapper

Bob Wilsons for me works all summer.
If you cant set the dam,look for the house and set the shoreline both sides between the dam and house.
If you want to get rid of a nuisance problem,why wouldn't you be allowed to set the dam?

#6259127 - 06/13/18 10:47 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Boco]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Wisconsin Regs, don't ask me why!
Currently landowner can trap on the dam, but that privilege can not be transferred to agent acting on behalf of the owner. I have to stay 15 ft away. Screwy regulation and is being changed, but not finalized yet, as far as I understand it.

#6259132 - 06/13/18 10:57 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Boco Offline
trapper

I can see it in regards to fur trapping as a method of controlling the harvest(taking away some of the most sure fire sets).But when the target is removing all the beaver in a nuisance situation in the most efficient way possible,that rule doesn't make sense in that situation.
Good that it is being changed.

#6259194 - 06/13/18 12:29 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Originally Posted By: Uwe
Limited by what's legal.

And what would THAT be?

What traps can you use?

Snares OK?

#6259243 - 06/13/18 01:43 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

no snares or cable restraints.
I think body grips more than half submerged, and possibly still footholds as drowning sets. Regs are a bit ambiguous there.

#6259251 - 06/13/18 02:10 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
One trap I would recommend you have is a Koro beaver trap.

#6259365 - 06/13/18 07:29 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

no snares or cable restraints.
I think body grips more than half submerged, and possibly still footholds as drowning sets. Regs are a bit ambiguous there.

What Iím about to say is only to be constructive:

IMO The very first thing you should do is find out what is and what isnít legal. You are absolutely handicapping yourself by not knowing the regs and what tools you may use.

Itíd be like a mechanic only using box end wrenches, because he doesnít know whether or not ratchet wrenches are legal.

I know that snares are a legal method of taking beaver in Wisconsin, at least under certain circumstances like during trapping season. Imo, snares are an indispensable tool for catching beaver, and I wouldnít want to have to catch nuisance beaver without them. There isnít a more versatile tool than a snare. I make all kinds of sets with them that I canít make using bodygrips or foot traps. With that said, I wouldnít want to trap nuisance beaver without being able to use footholds or bodygrips either. Theyíre all toolsóóit pays to not only know which ones you can use but to also be comfortable using them when theyíre needed.

The only class of beaver trap that I havenít used are live traps (loosely meaning cage traps). Perhaps I should take my own advice and learn how to use them, just in case, but I havenít, yet, because I have always been able to rely on live snares in those types of situations. If the day ever comes that I need a live trap, Iíll immediately buy some while wishing I hadnít waited until I needed them to buy someóó-I just donít know if Iíll personally ever need them. I havenít seen a situation that a live trap is the only way I could catch them, although there may very well be situations that require them. I do not relocate any nuisance beaver. None. There would have to be a very good reason for me to consider it.

I recommend getting to know those regs....

Good luck,

Donít Tread On Me!

#6259619 - 06/14/18 06:08 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
forester79 Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
Snare are legal and a good option if you can do a 24 hr check. I would set the runs between the dam and the house.
I just finished a job where I couldn't get permission to trap the main pond. Took
8 beaver in between the main dam and a culvert they were blocking down stream from it.
5 of 8 were caught in snares.

#6259964 - 06/14/18 04:15 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

I studied the regulations. As I understand it, footholds, conies, and snares are legal to use. Conies and snares need to be at least 1/2 submerged. I cannot set closer than 15 ft of the dam.
I will try to locate the hut later today.

#6259968 - 06/14/18 04:21 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
forester79 Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
That is correct and also no lure. Also required to have permission in writing from the land owner with a time period specified.
I think aphis got involved in writing the regs just to make it difficult.

#6260019 - 06/14/18 06:04 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

To be clear, I was not saying live traps donít have their placeóóquite the contrary. Iíd really appreciate hearing reasons or situations that they work better than live snares if Iím not required to by law and Iím not relocating beavers. If there are situations that a live trap simply works better than an unregulated snare, Iím sure Iíll be shopping for some advanced traps from Kirk.

Iíve already been convinced those powered advanced traps are the ones Iíd want. Iím sure Iíll be buying some for other animals, but my comments have been about beaver trapping only. I know they have their place for other critters...

I studied the regulations. As I understand it, footholds, conies, and snares are legal to use. Conies and snares need to be at least 1/2 submerged. I cannot set closer than 15 ft of the dam.
I will try to locate the hut later today.

I donít have the ď1/2 submergedĒ regulations here, and Iíve still never felt like I would be at a disadvantage if I did. Almost every snare I set is 1/2 submerged. The rest are fully submerged. I donít remember the last time I set a beaver snare that wasnít. Same for bodygrips.

Donít Tread On Me!

#6260338 - 06/15/18 08:16 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

agreed, the 1/2 submerged rule is no hindrance.

#6260367 - 06/15/18 09:40 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
thskeer Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
The half submerged rule is fine until some Conservation Officer decides you are at fault when the water drops. Most have commonsense and apply the 24hr rule- meaning if when you checked the set it was ok, then 24 hours later it was too high, as long as you correct it then you are OK. Had one that was a stickler- called me at 6pm to say the trap was about half an inch too far out of water, based on the jaw rivets. I explained the level was falling, more than I expected, but he wanted it fixed that night. I put a 280 in place of a 330 and all was good.

#6260374 - 06/15/18 09:54 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

in this case, the dam regulates the water level, so pretty consistent!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >