ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6260581 - 06/15/18 05:25 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I have to say after talking to my buddy this afternoon, he’s convinced me that live traps have their place beaver trapping. My eyes have been opened, I stand corrected, or however else my realization that cage traps have their place beaver trapping needs to be said.

He showed me some pictures of using them in culverts with debris piled on them, and that’s all it took for me to realize it. I like the way that set looks too.

THANKS DON

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6260667 - 06/15/18 08:32 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Originally Posted By: Uwe
I will try to locate the hut later today.

I wouldn't waste my time.
I often did jobs and never knew where the lodge was, should not set there anyway, good way to get them to hide out in the lodge for long time.
If that log in the 3rd pic is near their travel, it is perfect to hang at least 2 snares on. Just like in Pauls videos, SURELY you have some.

Hope this helps a bit

#6260873 - 06/16/18 07:01 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
If there was a faster, easier, more effective, safer and more versatile method of beaver trapping that would offer better results than using swim through cage traps I would be doing it. After 50 years of beaver which includes using cages, conibears, magnums, 660's, snares, footholds, shooting, Hancock and Bailey the cages are still the go to trap after almost 8 years and nearly 1,000 beaver taken. Nope, they are not 100% as nothing is. I still use all of the other devices as required. Had the Hancock out this past week and used modified conibears on a winter colony due to all the junk in the water, feed pile and chewed wood. For ease, speed and results a shot of castor placed where you choose to set, with a cage or two out front in a foot or more of water is hard to beat. Put 3 cages side by side last year with castor beyond the traps. Had 3 in row the first night, 2 more and a turtle the next. Got one on the other side. Done in two nights, which is common. Runs are fine, just not always readily available, so I won't waste time looking for them because castor is so effective. I did have one spot this spring that was nothing but small runs close by so I used them all to 12 in a few trips. Whatever the situation dictates. When asked "how do you pick a castor location" the answer is simple. I get a tape measure and find the shortest distance from the bumper to the pond. The 60 pounders are heavier than they used to be.

#6260978 - 06/16/18 10:40 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Jim Comstock]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
If there was a faster, easier, more effective, safer and more versatile method of beaver trapping that would offer better results than using swim through cage traps I would be doing it.

That is quite a statement, if you are a long liner and a pick up.

#6261631 - 06/17/18 12:07 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
The first thing I do before setting up any new nuisance beaver job is thoroughly scout the pond\ponds in order to set and remove all the beavers in the most efficient manner possible.Locating the house/bank dens and territorial castor mounds is key.
For example you could set up a pond,but if there is a larger pond upstream where the beavers are actually living,your traps at the lower pond may not see action for quite a while.This is especially true in summer.Even after a rain when beaver get more active,some beaver in the colony may not visit the lower impoundments for quite a while.
By scouting the entire area you will be able to identify the areas of frequent use,like crossovers,channels etc.It will also allow you to assess the probable size of the colony,how old it is and how many beaver you can expect to be there.By identifying large territorial castor mounds it will indicate you are dealing with more than one colony,and you can expect those adjacent beaver to move in after you remove the one colony,if you don't eliminate them too.Google earth can be an asset also.Another consideration is to know what lies downstream especially if you are in charge of lowering the water to natural flow after beaver removal.This can dictate if you can dump all the water in a couple of visits,or if you have to let the water down gradually over a longer time period.
This is not necessary when running and gunning for fur in season,unless you want to remove all the beaver.

Edited by Boco (06/17/18 12:16 PM)

#6262178 - 06/18/18 12:55 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
quick update.
this is roughly 10 acres of swamp, water levels get beyond 4 ft quickly, so no way to wade around in it. perimeter is maybe 1/3 accessible, rest is out of my reach due to business park and subdivisions that boarder up against it. I don't see how I can scout it for runs, slides, mounts, huts etc.
I tried scouting with a short kayak, but that was so so, there is one main channel, the rest is smaller runs where maneuvering a kayak quickly becomes close to impossible. I am pushing my way through cattails there.
footholds on slide wires have not resulted in anything yet. I noticed a clear run approx 1 ft wide at one side, turns out that's turtle territory, with a turtle or two every morning stuck in my 330's. Anybody want turtles??
I managed to set 2 conibears at somewhat of pinch points in main channel, after first night I had a muskrat this morning.
Suffice to say that so far I am getting my butt kicked. Luckily the 90 degree weather is about to let off a little here.
I did poke a small hole in the dam to lower water levels and to get beavers moving, they have been back once to patch the dam. there's a raccoon visiting the dam every night. (timestamp is off).

#6262229 - 06/18/18 03:15 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Being allowed to beaver trap, but not being able to use lure doesn’t make sense. Are you allowed to use bait?

How many dams are there, and how deep is the water below the lowest dam?

Find where they’re crossing the dam and set it up, or, If you’re lucky, they’re leaving the water and going around the dam. That’s a dependable set for a foothold a lot of times.

Usually the first trap I set is below the lowest dam at a good pinch where they’re ducking a limb or going around a log.

Can also use a 1/2”x5 ft rebar Kill pole with your support wire fastened at the height that hangs a snare half submerged where they’ll swim through it to climb out. Killer set with castor, and still very good set blind as long as they’re already passing there of course. It’s also very helpful when dealing with turtles as it keeps your snare off of the bottom like a typical “castor set”.

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6262240 - 06/18/18 03:29 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

The lure and bait appear both to be not allowed, I find the regulations not very clear as it muddles all kinds of things in the same sentence, which are actually allowed off season for nuisance trapping.
As far as I can tell, there is one dam.
They don't seem to be crossing the dam, I also can't set within 15 ft of the dam.

#6262244 - 06/18/18 03:33 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
forester79 Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
As I understand it they are in the process of changing the no bait/lure and dam trapping law.
I've had very good results with aixs kill pole set up catching them in deep runs swimming on the surface.

Edited by forester79 (06/18/18 03:39 PM)

#6262255 - 06/18/18 03:50 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

yes, the dam trapping was in the spring hearings, the bait was also, but for sight exposed bait in nuisance trapping.

#6262257 - 06/18/18 03:54 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

what's the kill pole set? any illustrations?

#6262363 - 06/18/18 07:18 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
forester79 Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
This is a live catch set up. I haven't found a good way to drown with a snare yet. 2 snares can also been used to cover a wider run. This a 4 ft.

#6262370 - 06/18/18 07:24 PM Re: beaver job [Re: forester79]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: forester79
This is a live catch set up. I haven't found a good way to drown with a snare yet. 2 snares can also been used to cover a wider run. This a 4 ft.

Weld a 8” cross piece about halfway down (as deep as you can while still clearing the substrate). Give them enough cable to reach it plus a little slack. They’ll do the rest. I’ve had DOA beavers in 2 feet or less. When set as described, I don’t remember the last time I had one alive. Maybe once the forum updates I can post photos again from my phone. If you still need photos to understand, I can go through the computer photo posting process tomorrow or Wednesday

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6262444 - 06/18/18 08:56 PM Re: beaver job [Re: forester79]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Originally Posted By: forester79
This is a live catch set up.
. Not if you run them down a drowning rod. A short snare works best. But it takes deeper water than Aix set up.

Edited by traprjohn (06/18/18 08:59 PM)
Edit Reason: Add info

#6262449 - 06/18/18 09:00 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Aix sponsa]
Uwe Offline
trapper

got it, thanks!

#6262811 - 06/19/18 10:36 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

All of my Kill Poles are setup with 12" of 1/8" 7x19 cable attached to my KP using a fixed loop. Most of them have an 8/0 inline mid-swivel, but some do not. It certainly isn't required. On the terminal end, I pass the cable through the bottom of a trap swivel and then crimp an end stop. I then attach my snare with a J-hook. I'm pretty sure that everytime I have ever seen someone use a KP, their snare is attached by passing the snare's fixed loop through the KP's nut or washer, or in Foresters case, the swivel is on the KP itself. I have used the fixed loop passed through the washer and hooked onto the top of the KP (the second and third picture actually shows it done that way), but I simply prefer using a J-hook. The KP pictured does not have a handle welded on it, but every KP I build now does in fact have a handle welded on the backside of the rebar from where the nut or washer is welded.

Connected with the adult female on this one. She was leaving the water here to go plug a pipe on the other side.

This is an example of how I make a lured KP set.

This is what I like to see! Nuisance beaver wrapped up tight, DOA.

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6262838 - 06/19/18 11:25 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Thanks Aix, this is very educational! Guess I need to pick up welding now too! smile

#6262977 - 06/19/18 02:20 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Welding is an incredibly useful skill, but you can get by without welding if you need to. You can use a submerged tangle stick or even rebar. I don't recommend it, unless you're in a bind, but it can be done. You can either use a tie wire to wrap/secure the crosspiece, or instead of using a crosspiece for entanglement, you can add a drowner lock like a death diamond and then hammer on an annealed nut at the top and bottom. I've used a few wraps of wire and a twist in place of an annealed nut whenever I was in the field and needed a quick fix.

Also, having a nut about a foot from the bottom helps out a bunch. Instead of having to carry dedicated deep water stakes for my drowners, I hammer a 3/4" annealed nut on mine. This keeps my adjustable drowner's adjustable loop from riding up the KP when I drive it into the mud. I see no reason to carry any additional gear that I wouldn't have to haul if I were to just combine the two. I've used rebar drowner rods, drowner cables, and fiberglass drowner rods. I've used weights for my cables, and I've used stakes. From here on out, I don't think I'll be using anything but adjustable cables that are staked on the deep end, unless of course I am dealing with steep drop offs. Those situations are where rods with two top stakes shine, so I'll use them, but I will never, and I mean NEVER use a drowner rod that doesn't have 2 stakes on the top again!

If I decide to make a typical foothold or snare on a drowner, I already have my deep stake. If I decide to make a KP set, I already have my KP. If I want to make both sets, the only other thing I need is a way to anchor the top end (stake, root, wolf fang, whatever). Really works well for me.

Edited by Aix sponsa (06/19/18 03:15 PM)

Don’t Tread On Me!

#6263092 - 06/19/18 05:30 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
thskeer Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
I think Aix’s torpedo set would be perfect for your situation, as long as you could use the castor. It self adjusts to water levels so you could break the dam to both lower the water and get the beaver heading that way. Not sure if he sets it up for drowning , but it sure seems to fit this setup

#6263183 - 06/19/18 07:40 PM Re: beaver job [Re: thskeer]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: thskeer
I think Aix’s torpedo set would be perfect for your situation, as long as you could use the castor. It self adjusts to water levels so you could break the dam to both lower the water and get the beaver heading that way. Not sure if he sets it up for drowning , but it sure seems to fit this setup

I’ve wondered just how effective it is without lure, and it would be a good test of “is the pvc enough of a visual attraction on its own.”

Don’t Tread On Me!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >