ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6264251 - 06/21/18 09:00 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Aix's torpedo set?

#6264657 - 06/21/18 09:40 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6175008/Re:_Beaver_Torpedo_Rolling_Ove

Pictures and descriptions here.

Remember that Iím just sharing an idea. It doesnít have to be exactly like mineó-it just needs to be able to be easy to carry, float upright, and support a snare. Someone PMd me about using a piece of round wooden post. I forgot who that was, but I believe itís a great idea. Fencing staples to hold a length of rebar underneath, sharpen the ends to handle current, and there ya go. Thatís how Iíd build them anyway

Donít Tread On Me!

#6270441 - 07/01/18 12:06 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Uwe, you get those rodents under control yet?

Catching them when itís hot is much different ballgame than getting them when itís cold, but you got that.....just let us know how itís going

Donít Tread On Me!

#6271048 - 07/02/18 09:36 AM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Aix, thanks for checking. Long story short, no, I have not caught them.
I caught a good share of turtles and a muskrat. With my trail cameras, I was observing beaver coming in to fix the small hole I tore in the dam, but they managed to avoid my traps. We had a lot of rain during that period, the water level dropped very little, and the beaver showed up roughly once a week to check on the dam and do repair work. Really got some amazing pictures of the beavers, raccoons, all sorts of birds, etc! One morning I got there and somebody had moved in with heavy equipment to take the dam down, dropped water levels a good foot. My client had no clue this was coming, neither did the neighboring business. As you can imagine, all my traps were now out of the water, and I decided to take them down and find out what's going on. I still don't who did it, but I suspect the construction crew at a new subdivision going in at the top of the swamp.
I agreed with the client to pull back for now. He does not want to deal with it at the moment, not upset with me, he called me and asked for his invoice, thanked me for my for my efforts and for responding very quickly. Even if not catching the beavers. I gained permission to trap there in winter and we'll see what else happens. I suspect the dam is fixed by now and the relief was very short term. Right now, licking my wounds a bit, learned a lot and looking forward to the next adventure.
If I get around to it, I'll post some pictures of all the wildlife on the dam.

#6271167 - 07/02/18 12:27 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
thskeer Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Uwe, you'll get them! Might be good to get the cameras back out too.

The dam getting messed with was my thought in suggesting the Torpedo. Worst case you have a snare sitting in the mud. I'd hate to have 330's or #14's high and dry!!!!! Also, steal a torpedo and I'm out about 5 bucks tops= Steal a 330 and it is about 20.

Tom

#6271178 - 07/02/18 12:40 PM Re: beaver job [Re: Uwe]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Uwe
Aix, thanks for checking. Long story short, no, I have not caught them.
I caught a good share of turtles and a muskrat. With my trail cameras, I was observing beaver coming in to fix the small hole I tore in the dam, but they managed to avoid my traps. We had a lot of rain during that period, the water level dropped very little, and the beaver showed up roughly once a week to check on the dam and do repair work. Really got some amazing pictures of the beavers, raccoons, all sorts of birds, etc! One morning I got there and somebody had moved in with heavy equipment to take the dam down, dropped water levels a good foot. My client had no clue this was coming, neither did the neighboring business. As you can imagine, all my traps were now out of the water, and I decided to take them down and find out what's going on. I still don't who did it, but I suspect the construction crew at a new subdivision going in at the top of the swamp.
I agreed with the client to pull back for now. He does not want to deal with it at the moment, not upset with me, he called me and asked for his invoice, thanked me for my for my efforts and for responding very quickly. Even if not catching the beavers. I gained permission to trap there in winter and we'll see what else happens. I suspect the dam is fixed by now and the relief was very short term. Right now, licking my wounds a bit, learned a lot and looking forward to the next adventure.
If I get around to it, I'll post some pictures of all the wildlife on the dam.

No lure is a tough reg to have to deal with. Hopefully they straighten that up for you soon. If you're getting them on trail camera video, I would think you could work on studying their approaches and get them hooked up. Hopefully it'll all work out for ya. Thanks for the update and good luck

Originally Posted By: thskeer
Uwe, you'll get them! Might be good to get the cameras back out too.

The dam getting messed with was my thought in suggesting the Torpedo. Worst case you have a snare sitting in the mud. I'd hate to have 330's or #14's high and dry!!!!! Also, steal a torpedo and I'm out about 5 bucks tops= Steal a 330 and it is about 20.

Tom

Right on. That torp will ride the water fluctuations like a boss. I tell ya what, I openly shared the idea, and I encourage(d) others to bounce their ideas off of me as well. Since first mentioning the Torp, no fewer than 3 people have run some great ideas by me in regards to beaver-catching-devices. Since those were their ideas, I'll let them be the ones that share them whenever they're ready. They know who they are, and they'll probably read this post.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Fluctuating water levels are the Achilles Heel of many beaver trappers. Settle on an easy workaround, and you're in business.

Donít Tread On Me!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3