No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A different time. #6258884
06/13/18 12:45 AM
06/13/18 12:45 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline OP
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ne pa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWEvP9gtww

I know I am a bit younger than most, but this how I grew up. I remember scratching - with the chickens. I didn't like it and have made a vow not to do it again. However, my kids have shoveled horse manure many times. If they would like something they have to earn it.

I am not too proud to ask 'if you wont fries with that'. If it comes to it I will do it.

But I will be darned if I will be a ward of 'the system' and take a hand out. If I had no other choice and could not work then I would (that is what is there fore).

I just can not imagine a goal that low. My goal is that my kids do better than me. If they do good with higher education, I will help them there. If they choice to work hard, I will help them. They know this.

Work hard and it will be there.

Sorry for the rant, somethings just get me, well, mad.

Jerry Jr.

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258886
06/13/18 12:54 AM
06/13/18 12:54 AM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
I'm right with ya, I started working at 12 in the summers and after school except for football season, then worked for a tree service 10 years before starting my own. I'm trying to teach my little ones the same hard work ethics my dad taught me, but unfortunately very few teach there kids this way anymore

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258898
06/13/18 02:06 AM
06/13/18 02:06 AM
New York
Camohoyt340 Offline
trapper
Camohoyt340  Offline
trapper

New York
That song pretty much describes exactly how I grew up. I’m only 34. It doesn’t seem like that long ago. We had 4 channels on the TV. I remember using my allowance to buy a black and white TV at a yard sale. I put it in my room and thought it was awesome. We got satellite when I was 14. Every person on my road was related to me. We had our bikes that we rode everywhere. I remember being 12 and getting on my bike and taking my fishing pole and telling my parents I’d be back an hour after dark. The best fishing place was all downhill from my house. So I would have to ride my bike home uphill in the dark (because I would never leave before dark. It’s the best fishing!) usually had a backpack full of fish. I did that by myself usually. Now I have 3 daughters (ages 6, 10,11) and they are a lot like me. It’s a little different nowadays because they are girls and I don’t think I would let them do everything I did, but I do give them a lot of freedom. Their rules are don’t cross the road and if you are going to be gone long they have to let me know and take their phones. There are miles worth of woods out back. The girls help me in the garden and gathering firewood. Last night I looked outside and saw my oldest shooting her B.B. gun and my younger ones shooting their bows. They do that stuff themselves and I don’t have to push them to put the electronics down and go outside. We have satellite and I’m glad we do. In the winter and on crappy days it’s something for them to do. I want them to choose what they want to do. I was talking to my wife and we were saying that we have some of the most well rounded kids around.

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258902
06/13/18 03:17 AM
06/13/18 03:17 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline OP
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ne pa
Trapper: Glad to see I am not the only one. I started working for my Dad at 11. Nothing like mixing crete and caring blocks. Looking back those were the good days!

Camo: Glad to see I am not the only one. I am your age. The best we had was the antenna. Work out good since we are in swamp. Spent many day out here. Funny how it was fine then but now my Mom does not look at it the same.

Jerry Jr.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258909
06/13/18 05:21 AM
06/13/18 05:21 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
the guy singing that song is way to young to have seen that stuff

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258910
06/13/18 05:23 AM
06/13/18 05:23 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i'm with ya,both my boys have great jobs and work ethic.it is something i'm most proud of

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258912
06/13/18 05:45 AM
06/13/18 05:45 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
My "boy" he's 17. 5'"11 220 has been working with me since he was 12 also. Growing up in the country it has been great for him, he would take off to "play in the creek" and come back hours later telling me about all the things and critters he saw. When he was 6-10 or so he would play for hours outside by himself in the back yard. Even chose to sell his video games when he was about 12 as he said they were a waste of his time

Today we work together every day doing ADC work and fish and hunt after work His a good young man, I am proud and humbled that GOD has entrusted him to me

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258945
06/13/18 07:01 AM
06/13/18 07:01 AM
Near state college, PA, God Bl...
trapre Offline
trapper
trapre  Offline
trapper

I haven't been around long as I am 14. But that song applies in almost every way here. We don't have television, video games and many other things today's kids associate with. I like it that way. I'd rather do something outside. God Bless America!

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258962
06/13/18 07:47 AM
06/13/18 07:47 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
good for you young man,you ever get up my way holler and i'll show ya around.

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258973
06/13/18 07:55 AM
06/13/18 07:55 AM
trapre Offline
trapper
trapre  Offline
trapper

We go up there every spring to get maple supplies. We love that area and meeting Batman in the flesh would be cool.

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6258983
06/13/18 08:04 AM
06/13/18 08:04 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
get a hold of me,i have a nice river park/campground with lots to experience on my 50 acres and the valley's that surround me.same goes to every other t-man member that gets or can get out my way.

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6259010
06/13/18 08:37 AM
06/13/18 08:37 AM
trapre Offline
trapper
trapre  Offline
trapper

PM sent!

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6259094
06/13/18 10:37 AM
06/13/18 10:37 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Nice to hear this when many like to play the system for all it's worth. I have a Niece that has 3 kids sucks all of the aid she can get her hands on lives in her mothers home never paid rent/taxes but sure can trash the place like it's hers.

Husband changes jobs often burns bridges every time he is afraid to better himself for fear of losing the "easy money" they use the emergency room like a Dr. office visit and never had to pay. I Have worked since I was 14 and got $300 back in taxes she gets a few thousand and never pays her Mom back.

Just a lot of ticks on the butt of society out there good job teaching your kids to earn it!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: A different time. [Re: Law Dog] #6259104
06/13/18 10:50 AM
06/13/18 10:50 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Nice to hear this when many like to play the system for all it's worth. I have a Niece that has 3 kids sucks all of the aid she can get her hands on lives in her mothers home never paid rent/taxes but sure can trash the place like it's hers.

Husband changes jobs often burns bridges every time he is afraid to better himself for fear of losing the "easy money" they use the emergency room like a Dr. office visit and never had to pay. I Have worked since I was 14 and got $300 back in taxes she gets a few thousand and never pays her Mom back.

Just a lot of ticks on the butt of society out there good job teaching your kids to earn it!

Jerry I see it day in and day out. Used to drive me crazy, but I am to the point where I've become numb. If I let it anger me I'd be angry all day every day. Too many living off the system, and the system is buckling. It will come to a head sooner or later.

That being said I enjoyed a pretty sweet childhood myself. I'd get on my bike at day light and peddle to the river. Spend hours upon hours fishing, exploring, swimming, or just sitting by the water. My parents had no clue where I was, and honestly never really seemed to bother them. Dad was on the road 5 out of 7 days a week, and my mother was busy working. I never had a curfew, and never really got into a whole lot of trouble. I pretty much had free reign to do as I pleased, but I was also expected to work when needed. I remember handing my dad the Sunday paper as I stumbled in one morning, went to lay down, and he told me to change my shirt and get in the truck. I threw bales, and scooped horse manure all day that day. He only showed up long enough to empty the spreader, and move the tractor. Told me if I could stay out all night like a man I could work like a man. Work hard and play hard. Has always stuck with me.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 06/13/18 11:22 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6259107
06/13/18 10:55 AM
06/13/18 10:55 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I was told I could have anything I wanted growing up , I just had to work for it. I bought my 1st 30-30 at age 14 life was good!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: A different time. [Re: Camohoyt340] #6259116
06/13/18 11:24 AM
06/13/18 11:24 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Camohoyt340
That song pretty much describes exactly how I grew up. I’m only 34. It doesn’t seem like that long ago. We had 4 channels on the TV. I remember using my allowance to buy a black and white TV at a yard sale. I put it in my room and thought it was awesome. We got satellite when I was 14. Every person on my road was related to me. We had our bikes that we rode everywhere. I remember being 12 and getting on my bike and taking my fishing pole and telling my parents I’d be back an hour after dark. The best fishing place was all downhill from my house. So I would have to ride my bike home uphill in the dark (because I would never leave before dark. It’s the best fishing!) usually had a backpack full of fish. I did that by myself usually. Now I have 3 daughters (ages 6, 10,11) and they are a lot like me. It’s a little different nowadays because they are girls and I don’t think I would let them do everything I did, but I do give them a lot of freedom. Their rules are don’t cross the road and if you are going to be gone long they have to let me know and take their phones. There are miles worth of woods out back. The girls help me in the garden and gathering firewood. Last night I looked outside and saw my oldest shooting her B.B. gun and my younger ones shooting their bows. They do that stuff themselves and I don’t have to push them to put the electronics down and go outside. We have satellite and I’m glad we do. In the winter and on crappy days it’s something for them to do. I want them to choose what they want to do. I was talking to my wife and we were saying that we have some of the most well rounded kids around.

Sounds like you're doing a great job with your girls. I got 2 of my own amd trying to raise them similar. Its a different world for sure.

Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6259121
06/13/18 11:29 AM
06/13/18 11:29 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I seined minnows for my dad who was a wholesaler. He sold to retail bait stores around the area. I was 12 at the time. I was bummed because in the summer some of my friend played Little League and I didn't get to because I had to work. I got to play sports during the school year some. But, my summers were spent catching minnows.

Looking back after all these years, I think I got a better education from the minnow business than I ever got from sports.

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6259610
06/14/18 06:56 AM
06/14/18 06:56 AM
kansas
P
possum5676 Offline
trapper
possum5676  Offline
trapper
P

kansas
Same as Danny. That puppy should wait until his teeth get yellow and his neck shorter to sing songs about the old days. Some things were not so good in those days. For example that kid singing would find himself flying out the back door of a Ford Galaxie Five Hundred at about 35 miles an hour for all that shiny stuff hanging from his ears. Very few open minded people in my time as a boy where I came from.

none
Re: A different time. [Re: possum5676] #6259623
06/14/18 07:15 AM
06/14/18 07:15 AM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Whats sad is that I rode my bike everywhere. I was practically gone from sunup to sundown. Rode my bike to check traps in the cold, snowy mornings, rode it to baseball, football and basketball practice. Neither of my kids really even rode their bikes much if any. I believe it is a society thing. When I had baseball practice most kids rode their bikes or walked and some dropped off. There was never a parent there during practice, when I coached a few years ago the sidelines were lined up with parents that were there for the duration, I mean maybe two kids out of 25 didn't have a parent there.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: A different time. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6260258
06/15/18 06:42 AM
06/15/18 06:42 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
And I'm sure you rode that bike everywhere without a helmet, as did I. Put a kid on a bike without one today and you are the great satan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread