No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
truck stop tall tales #6258928
06/13/18 06:26 AM
06/13/18 06:26 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
What is it with tall tales that get passed around so much people think they are true?

On a job Monday with a guy telling truckstop tales. One that made me walk away was about a distribution center in the Bronx known as hunts point. crossing the GW bridge into the city there is an exit marked Hunts Point. Its easy to get to and find.

So according to legend you can't stop at traffic lights or you will get robbed. You cant arrive early and sit outside the gate or you will get robbed.

The traffic light thing is nonsense. It is a good place to get robbed if you don't mind your own business.

Anyway I heard the tale (again) of the cop knocking on the window and asking the driver if he was armed. In most versions the driver says no and the cop tells him to get a gun if he is going to come back. In the version I heard Monday the cop handed him a gun and said he would pick it up when he got ready to leave. So the tale is ever evolving.

On the off chance any new drivers are reading this those tales are all a pack of lies repeated over and over again till there are people who believe them and retell them as if it is a personal experience.

You are a fool IMO to go OTR unarmed. If your in NY or Boston or Chicago the answer to "are you armed" is no unless you want to go to jail. Keep your firearm in your suitcase unless you have to park or when your sleeping. Leave your suitcase open in case you need to drop your gun back in and zip it up. Im no lawyer but the rules for searching your bag without a warrant are different than the rules for looking around inside the cab.

If you take a job and drive a truck someone else has been driving step one is a THOUROUGH cleaning inside the cab. When your done any surface should be clean enough to eat off of. You don't know what the other driver was doing and a dog alerting on your cab everything inside is coming out and going to be searched. Insist on a new mattress. If new company wont provide one jump in your pickup, head to the dealer and buy one yourself. cost more at the dealer but it will fit the bunk.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6258933
06/13/18 06:41 AM
06/13/18 06:41 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Driving through Illinois is a pain for just me. Never really thought about truckers but your right obviously I'm not the only one going through there.

I've always wondered about what you are talking about and hiking that Appalachian trail b/c you go through the same goofy states then too.

Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259287
06/13/18 04:24 PM
06/13/18 04:24 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
My dad was a trucker and always had a gun along same one that served him well inWW2 and Korea according to the serial number it was made in 1918 and military property marked and is still a great shooter but is mostly bare metal from traveling around in the truck with him

That 1911 is one of the few guns my ma didn’t sell or get stolen by my little brother for drug money and now has a proud and place on my mantle I have thought about having it refinish but like it the way it is it has character

My dad would agree to with you Danny he carried his cocked and locked in a small carryon type bag partly in zipped sitting on the front seat beside him, and he didn’t have to worry about th mattress in the sleeper they had not come along yet

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259290
06/13/18 04:32 PM
06/13/18 04:32 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Right up there with the $1,000 Corvette they could not get the smell out of when I was a kid! LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: nightlife] #6259311
06/13/18 05:34 PM
06/13/18 05:34 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted By: nightlife
My dad was a trucker and always had a gun along same one that served him well inWW2 and Korea according to the serial number it was made in 1918 and military property marked and is still a great shooter but is mostly bare metal from traveling around in the truck with him

That 1911 is one of the few guns my ma didn’t sell or get stolen by my little brother for drug money and now has a proud and place on my mantle I have thought about having it refinish but like it the way it is it has character

My dad would agree to with you Danny he carried his cocked and locked in a small carryon type bag partly in zipped sitting on the front seat beside him, and he didn’t have to worry about th mattress in the sleeper they had not come along yet

I'd like to see a pic of that gun if you're picture savvy. Love the 1911s

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259313
06/13/18 05:36 PM
06/13/18 05:36 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Then there's the story about the guy going to bed with a gal and waking up in a tub of ice water.........they'd stolen his kidney to be sold on the black market and he was supposed to call 911 according to the note left with him....

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259325
06/13/18 06:06 PM
06/13/18 06:06 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
What is it with tall tales that get passed around so much people think they are true?

On a job Monday with a guy telling truckstop tales. One that made me walk away was about a distribution center in the Bronx known as hunts point. crossing the GW bridge into the city there is an exit marked Hunts Point. Its easy to get to and find.

So according to legend you can't stop at traffic lights or you will get robbed. You cant arrive early and sit outside the gate or you will get robbed.

The traffic light thing is nonsense. It is a good place to get robbed if you don't mind your own business.

Anyway I heard the tale (again) of the cop knocking on the window and asking the driver if he was armed. In most versions the driver says no and the cop tells him to get a gun if he is going to come back. In the version I heard Monday the cop handed him a gun and said he would pick it up when he got ready to leave. So the tale is ever evolving.

Lol today the Heights is a great and relatively safe neighborhood. Stories were probably more believable in the 80s and early 90s.

Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259355
06/13/18 08:06 PM
06/13/18 08:06 PM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
A popular tale here is:

My grandmother was feeding cows, and came over the hill just in time to see the game warden releasing mt lions.

Not truck stop related but just as stupid.

Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259400
06/13/18 09:15 PM
06/13/18 09:15 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I've heard this one so many times it must be true:

"My brother, cousin, friend, sister in law, or who ever. Seen the cattle car full of coyotes, and the driver said he was hauling them for the DNR, and the car insurance companies were paying for it so the deer would all get killed"

About any version of that story I have heard it

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259407
06/13/18 09:30 PM
06/13/18 09:30 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon

Report a post club - Non member

Re: truck stop tall tales [Re: danny clifton] #6259418
06/13/18 09:50 PM
06/13/18 09:50 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
CW McCall - Wolf Creek Pass- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHb_0Lhegig

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread