No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
450 bushmaster???? #6259291
06/13/18 04:33 PM
06/13/18 04:33 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline OP
trapper
nightlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Mn
Anyone have one your thoughts on it as a deer cartridge thinking of building one for my daughter for a when she comes back to Mn

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: 450 bushmaster???? [Re: nightlife] #6259306
06/13/18 05:07 PM
06/13/18 05:07 PM
tn
L
lestan101 Offline
trapper
lestan101  Offline
trapper
L

tn
I used a 450 bushmaster last year and killed one deer with it. About 70 yards quartering away shot with hornady black ammo ballistic tip bullets, pass thru shot, massive trauma in the wound channel. The deer walked a few steps and went down.
I have a Ruger American Ranch rifle in the 450. It is great to use because of the size. The recoil is not the bad part it is the noise. It comes with a muzzle break that makes it roar but is very effective. Mine is accurate, five shots at my sight-in range of fifty two yards all five bullets were touching. I used a 1-4 power leatherwood scope on it. Please get her a good set of hearing protection and for anyone around I cant emphasize enough how loud it is.
I have seen people shooting at long distance with it on the computer. I like it for 150 yard or less shots but have confidence it will perform beyond that. I hope this helps you. If you have any questions get back with me or PM me and I will answer what I can.

Re: 450 bushmaster???? [Re: nightlife] #6259319
06/13/18 05:49 PM
06/13/18 05:49 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline OP
trapper
nightlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Mn
Lestan 101 how would you rate the recoil my daughter is not recoil shy but she is still only 5 1” and maybe 100 pounds and has shot almost everything I have except my double rifle in 577 NE and she was willing but I said no even I think that one has more then a little kick to it

The real trick with hervis just finding a gun that fits her comfortable so I was thinking an AR I itch a good adjustable stock would fit the bill nicely

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: 450 bushmaster???? [Re: nightlife] #6259329
06/13/18 06:28 PM
06/13/18 06:28 PM
Lowell, MI
M
MIsparkz Offline
trapper
MIsparkz  Offline
trapper
M

Lowell, MI
I bought an upper in 450. No break on mine. Recoil is comparable to 20ga pump I would say. I bought it with my daughter in mind also. She’s about the same size and handled it ok. It’s still a pretty stiff hit for a girl that small. I thought about adding a break but then you just make your ears bleed. Supposedly someone makes cans for them now and if you have money that would be worth looking into.
I shot two deer with it last year and they both were down within steps of where they were shot.
Mine likes the Hornady Customs better than the Blacks.

Re: 450 bushmaster???? [Re: nightlife] #6259509
06/14/18 12:03 AM
06/14/18 12:03 AM
Baudette MN
FriarTuck Offline
trapper
FriarTuck  Offline
trapper

Baudette MN
nightlife,
I have a couple of them in ARs, and have really come to enjoy the caliber.
Not sure what part of the state you are in, but if you get up to the Baudette area and want to try one out, just let me know. The range is within a mile or so of town.
Jim

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread