Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dying Traps [Re: braveheart] #6258612
06/12/18 03:39 PM
06/12/18 03:39 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted By: braveheart
I use to just wax my traps and no dye. But now since I found the real deal Black dye I don't wax. This year 304 coyotes thought it was cool not to wax!!!

You have the real stuff??

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6258616
06/12/18 03:52 PM
06/12/18 03:52 PM
S.W. Michigan
L
late bite Offline
trapper
late bite  Offline
trapper
L

S.W. Michigan

Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6258620
06/12/18 03:56 PM
06/12/18 03:56 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Yep that's it, thought you was a floor wax guy grin

Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6258623
06/12/18 04:00 PM
06/12/18 04:00 PM
S.W. Michigan
L
late bite Offline
trapper
late bite  Offline
trapper
L

S.W. Michigan
Previous life G....... lol

Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6258919
06/13/18 05:52 AM
06/13/18 05:52 AM
S.W. Iowa
B
braveheart Offline
trapper
braveheart  Offline
trapper
B

S.W. Iowa
With water traps never could figure why everyone wanted black traps. I always felt brown was the best color to blend in if set in shallow water.
But for land trapping I want the best rust prevention I can get. The traps get the deepest blue black I have seen and keeps the rust back real good.

Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6259392
06/13/18 08:57 PM
06/13/18 08:57 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
cool

Re: Dying Traps [Re: The Beav] #6260359
06/15/18 10:18 AM
06/15/18 10:18 AM
Idaho
IDTrapman Offline
trapper
IDTrapman  Offline
trapper

Idaho
Originally Posted By: The Beav
I still paint (latex) all my traps other then canine traps. The paint holds up pretty good. I might re do them every 4 years or so. It's fast and cheap.

Hey Beav, I'm considering painting my cat traps this year. How do you go about re-doing them? Do you boil them to remove the old paint and then paint them again?

I guess what I'm wondering is... If I decide I don't like the paint and want to remove it and go back to dying and waxing, is it an easy process?

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Re: Dying Traps [Re: Taximan] #6260390
06/15/18 11:28 AM
06/15/18 11:28 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted By: Taximan
Originally Posted By: Teacher
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest something both simple and effective. Clean traps in a bucket of warm water and Dawn dish soap to remove oils. Rinse, dry for a day and spray paint the color you want. I have at this point used them as is. Or dipped in wax. Or used Full Metal Jacket. I’ve also dipped in speed dip after cleaning but that takes a while to lose the gasoline smell—-but it works. The days of boiling for hours, hot dipping in wax, etc for the sake of tradition are over for me. I’ve got better things to do with my time.

I never get why people say dyeing takes time.You just put them in the pot,then go work on something else.Come back in 1 hour and pull them out.It takes no more time than dipping,Put in,take out.You don't sit there and stare at them boiling.If you dip more than once,it can take more time than traditional dye.You are missing the point if you think dyeing and waxing is for the sake of tradition.If it is done properly,and from what I've seen,often it isn't,it holds up very well,is cheap,non toxic and non flammable.

I've set rusty trap, dyed and waxed,waxed only, dipped etc and a good dye job followed by a proper wax job holds up best and isn't a lot of work.Another thing many don't understand is that you don't have to dye and wax all the traps every year.I have gone several years between treatments.I only dye and wax new traps and ones that made catches and are shined up.Often,after a catch,they still don't need it.

Let's face it,these days with all the devices and conveniences we have,people have short attention spans and want everything done at warp speed,especially new trappers.Trapping is work.Traps may need to stay in a pot for one hour,to dye but that's chronological time,not one hour's labor.If you can't find some work to busy yourself with for an hour,you are more fortunate than me.Just my opinion after 57 years of handling traps.These days there are many ways to treat traps.Dyeing and waxing is just one of them.Other than maintaining a flame,it isn't a lot different than other methods.

X2 taxi
I really enjoy getting a fire going under the barrel, working outside while it heats up the water and when it’s time just place the traps in the barrel and get back to whatever I was doing. Pull the traps out hang them up, place more traps in and continue doing whatever.
Sometimes I’ll just be making another fire to cook some good meats and listen to the radio.

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6260401
06/15/18 12:08 PM
06/15/18 12:08 PM

M
MsgRet
Unregistered
MsgRet
Unregistered
M

Since I am a bachelor I get away with putting new traps thru a dishwasher twice with some good degreasing soap powder. Then let them rust.

Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6260420
06/15/18 01:07 PM
06/15/18 01:07 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
If you live close to me just dip in oil base dip or latex and for goodness sake don't wax....... Iv'e seen the effects of all this stuff. Tannin boiling kills bacteria, turns rust into a nonrusting compound and the boiling cleans all the cracks and crevices. What more could you ask for.. I do like ambush, put a bunch in the pot walk away, on to another chore. Come back pull em out, hang then rinse. Put another bunch in.. Mow the lawn whatever.. The only traps that get retreated are the traps that make catches, the rest hang in a tree until season in the weather..

Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6260631
06/15/18 08:22 PM
06/15/18 08:22 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Trappergbus - Great advice for trappers who live near you! Hopefully the trappers who live me will also take that same advice.

As far as putting traps in the pot to boil, I do the same thing. There is always something to do - work, a chore, clean up and organize something, or even fishing or something else fun. Actually, when i make stew in the kitchen i do the same thing, ha. It would be very boring standing there watching the water get hot.

In modern terms, they call that behavior "multi-tasking". i always thought it is just a good efficient way to get things accomplished and enjoy living life.

best wishes.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Dying Traps [Re: DP trapper] #6260975
06/16/18 11:34 AM
06/16/18 11:34 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
It's a good time to check trap tags,check the next batch of for mud,etc,check chains,swivels and pan level.I also straighten stakes and mess with snares and supports.There's always something to do.I enjoy those days.

Back in the day,there were 3 of us that got together on a weekend and boiled and waxed all our traps together.We had a feed,swapped trapping stories and had a great time.We looked forward to that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91