No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? #6263354
06/20/18 04:01 AM
06/20/18 04:01 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline OP
trapper
kyron4  Offline OP
trapper
K

Indiana
I moved into a place in the country 6 months ago and it's my first time with a septic system. It's a 15 year old system and I had it pumped the first week I was there just to be sure. So I was told about RID-X and to use it once a month by half the people and not to use it by the other half. I called 3 septic service places and one said always use it, one said never use it, causes problems, and one said either way , no difference good or bad. So what's the verdict ? Good idea ? Bad idea, or no difference ? -Thanks

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263376
06/20/18 06:30 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I don't think there's anyway it could hurt things.
We use a septic tank at our house, a rental we own, and our camp. I guy I know who runs a honey dipper service(pumps septic Tanks) said he thought it was a good idea to use ridX at camp, where we use the septic very little, but it probably does very little or nothing where the septic is used everyday.
Bleech and toilet cleaners are not good for the function of the digestion that allows a septic to work.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263377
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Just understand what is going on there. Everything runs to the tank. Solids sink and the top skim liquid seeps out the top end into a pipe into the leach field.

The solids sit, rot, and turn to liquid via bacteria enzymes heat and whatever else and also seep out into the leech field.

Too many people think that its a box that needs pumped out when it fills up with solids. Keep it healthy and let it digest your solids.

(not everyone realizes the outside pressure that can be pushing in on an older box either when you pump it out. It can collapse in on itself when you empty it so its not all roses and fertilizer in pumping it out a bunch either.)

Now figure in that your dishwasher, washing machine, and shower run into it too most likely. i.e. soaps, detergents, bleach, fabric softner, water softner discharge etc... Not the best food for bacteria, enzymes, and whatever else.

Ideally you'd have a dedicated leech lines for those drain items directly and keep them out of your tank and toilet waste solids but 99 out of 100 don't so your no diff than anyone else.

So... depending the ratios what your putting into the tank you may need to feed the bacteria or not. Yeast and etc. That is what Rid-X does.

We never used anything like it and get our tank pumped every few years or so. As a kid on the home place we never even did that.

Didn't really say either way I guess but I hope that helps.

p.s. tell your wife to use the trash can and that you can't be flushing that stuff. It doesn't break down. Or... adjust your pump out schedule accordingly. See, it just depends on what you are putting into it.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263405
06/20/18 07:15 AM
06/20/18 07:15 AM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Every 6 months or so,mix a few packs of yeast in a glass of warm water and flush.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263411
06/20/18 07:24 AM
06/20/18 07:24 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
NO inspecting agency (city, county, state, tribal, or federal) agency that works with septic systems recommends this stuff. But, the law says they can’t condemn it as not working, or as a waste of your money, unless they can prove it doesn’t work. And since none have done any testing to prove it’s a waste of your money or false advertising, they simply don’t.

I’m sure it’s full of enzymes. But the first flush you make puts zillions of bacteria to work in your septic system. And enzymes, and viruses etc. A quart sized box of unproven “stuff” may work just fine. But so does pumping out the solids every year or so. It’s the solids forming a sludge layer on top of the liquid that ends up clogging one’s drainfield if you don’t.

Bottom line: there is no scientific proof one way or another these products actually do what the advertising hype says they do. So it is up to you and your wallet to believe what you think works and act accordingly.

Never too old to learn
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263430
06/20/18 07:48 AM
06/20/18 07:48 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I found this:

How to Remain Additive-Free
So what can you do to keep your septic system working property without the
use of additives while minimizing costs? Here are some tips:
• Use less water! Repair leaks and install new, water efficient toilets, faucets,
and showerheads whenever possible. Run the washer and dishwasher
only with full loads. This saves money on water and energy bills as well as
prolonging the life of the septic system.
• Keep toxic chemicals from going down the drain. Properly dispose of
solvents, paint, varnish, oil, and pesticides at the local garbage transfer
station, or look in the Recycling Directory from Clark County Solid Waste for an appropriate location. (http://www.clark.
wa.gov/recycle/documents/Publications/DirectoryforWeb.pdf)
• Keep solids out. Cigarettes, left over medications, feminine hygiene products, paper towels, tissues, kitty litter, and other
solid items should go into the trash, not your septic system. Left over medications could kill bacteria in your tank.
• Keep grease and fat out of your kitchen drain.
• Limit use of garbage disposal. Using a garbage disposal increases the amount of water and solids into your septic tank,
requiring more frequent pumping.
• Space clothes washing throughout the week. This avoids overloading the system over a short time period.
• Divert runoff and drainage water. Never drain swimming pools or hot tubs onto your septic system or drainfield.
Downspouts and roof runoff should be directed away from your drainfield to limit
water input to the system.
No additive compensates for poor design, regular maintenance and inspection, and
pumping every three to five years. Additives claiming to eliminate the need for
pumping usually re-suspend solids, moving them to the drainfield, thus clogging lines
and leading to system failure. Even well-designed septic systems need to be replaced
eventually, anywhere between 20 and 30 years depending on use. Safe additives will
likely be ineffective, while an effective additive will likely be unsafe to use.
Money spent on additives would better be spent pumping your septic tank every three
to five years. Research and experience demonstrate regular inspection and
maintenance of properly designed and installed septic systems prevent
failure and extend system life.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263447
06/20/18 08:04 AM
06/20/18 08:04 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Pumping septic systems every three to five years is highly recommended by companies that make money pumping septic systems. Good systems working properly should not need to be pumped.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263455
06/20/18 08:10 AM
06/20/18 08:10 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Septic systems as a general rule, last 5-8 years. If you’re lucky and take care of them, it could be a LOT longer. My next (cabin) septic system will need to be a mound system. The cost of pumping every other year is $250. The cost of the mound is estimated at $13,000. Pumping is cheaper!!!

Never too old to learn
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: walleye101] #6263462
06/20/18 08:19 AM
06/20/18 08:19 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Originally Posted By: walleye101
Pumping septic systems every three to five years is highly recommended by companies that make money pumping septic systems. Good systems working properly should not need to be pumped.

Agreed. County zoning here requires pumping and inspection every 3 years regardless of usage.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263467
06/20/18 08:20 AM
06/20/18 08:20 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Or, you could just put in a vault with no drainfield and pump it every time it is full.
If your systems are only lasting 5-8 years you need to find a new installer.

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: Teacher] #6263470
06/20/18 08:22 AM
06/20/18 08:22 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: Teacher
It’s the solids forming a sludge layer on top of the liquid that ends up clogging one’s drainfield if you don’t.

This is incorrect. Lighter-than-water organic solid materials float on the surface and form a layer of what is commonly called “scum”. Bacteria in the septic tank biologically convert this material to liquid. Inorganic or inert solid materials and the by-products of bacterial digestion sink to the bottom of the tank and form a layer commonly known as “sludge”.

The layer in the middle; the effluent, is what drains out via gravity to a distribution box (in ground system) or pump tank (elevated system).

Nearly all septic tanks installed over the last fifty years have baffles in them, either ABS or PVC piping as illustrated in the diagram below or precast into the concrete tank. These baffles prevent the scum layer from leaving the tank.

The only time anything other than effluent leaves the tank is when the sludge layer gets too high. That is why tanks need pumped every so often. How often depends on the volume of sewage that goes into the tank and the health of the bacterial community inside the tank.

My opinion on Rid-X is that it's a waste of money. If you avoid putting harsh chemicals into your septic system you should have a healthy bacterial community in the tank and drain field. If you're introducing chemicals that are killing the bacteria, Rid-X isn't going to help, the bacteria and enzymes contained in that product will also be killed.

Eh...wot?

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: walleye101] #6263471
06/20/18 08:24 AM
06/20/18 08:24 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

I agree with this.

Eh...wot?

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: gryhkl] #6263476
06/20/18 08:32 AM
06/20/18 08:32 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: gryhkl
Even well-designed septic systems need to be replaced
eventually, anywhere between 20 and 30 years depending on use.

I completely disagree with this. A properly installed in-ground system should last indefinitely.

Originally Posted By: gryhkl
Money spent on additives would better be spent pumping your septic tank every three
to five years. Research and experience demonstrate regular inspection and
maintenance of properly designed and installed septic systems prevent
failure and extend system life.

I agree that additives are a waste of money but disagree with that pumping schedule.

Eh...wot?

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263486
06/20/18 08:39 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I took the 3-day installer’s class about 10 years ago in MN. (Did it for the continuing educational credits but not to become an installer). Our instructor said 5-8 years was the average.

A lot will depend on soils, load, keeping the kid’s friends from driving over the drain field and so on.

That house in the country that housed the elderly couple for 20 years is probably going to experience a failure within a couple months of the new family with 3 teenagers moving in. Loading makes a difference. Onsite systems aren’t designed to last indefinitely.

Last edited by Teacher; 06/20/18 08:45 AM.

Never too old to learn
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263487
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Beer or two a month will help bateria growth..... So an old fella told me. I still don't do it as it's not something I think about

I was having to pump my system every two years but three years ago I collapsed the dry well and put a new 300 gallon dry well in with a small drain field past it. Havnt had any issues since but it's only been a few years

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: corky] #6263496
06/20/18 08:45 AM
06/20/18 08:45 AM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline
trapper
handitrapper  Offline
trapper
H

WI
Originally Posted By: corky

Agreed. County zoning here requires pumping and inspection every 3 years regardless of usage.

This may not be completely true? In Rock county, which I used to live. You did not have to pump. only inspection by certified master plumber and licensed septic installer (every 3 years) is required. Although you’re not doing yourself any favors by not having the pumping included.

Last edited by handitrapper; 06/20/18 11:03 AM.
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263566
06/20/18 09:53 AM
06/20/18 09:53 AM
venango county,pennslyvania
minklessinpa Offline
trapper
minklessinpa  Offline
trapper

venango county,pennslyvania
throw a dead mouse in once in a while. yeast will work also. they do need pumped once in a while. depends on how much it is used. mine went 15 years until it filled up with the sludge.

life member Pennsylvania trappers
life member vfw
member fta
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: Teacher] #6263573
06/20/18 10:00 AM
06/20/18 10:00 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I took the 3-day installer’s class about 10 years ago in MN. (Did it for the continuing educational credits but not to become an installer). Our instructor said 5-8 years was the average.

A lot will depend on soils, load, keeping the kid’s friends from driving over the drain field and so on.

That house in the country that housed the elderly couple for 20 years is probably going to experience a failure within a couple months of the new family with 3 teenagers moving in. Loading makes a difference. Onsite systems aren’t designed to last indefinitely.

Well I guess if you took a three-day course ten years ago you must know what you're talking about...

Do you have any idea how many homes have simple two-line systems that were installed fifty or sixty years ago and are still operating fine? Hundreds of thousands would be a good estimate. Like I said above, as long as the system was properly installed; drain lines level from end to end in a 12" crushed stone bed, lines leaving the D-box at the same elevation so an equal amount of effluent flows into each line/drain field, etc., there is no reason why your system shouldn't last indefinitely.

My own two-line system was installed in 1969. It was used by an elderly couple until 1989 when I bought the place. I raised three girls since then and had the tank pumped once in that time. Everything is still working as designed.

I check the sludge level every year and it remains at one to two feet thick. I attribute that to the fact that we don't flush any harsh chemicals.

I installed septic systems exclusively for about ten years and now only do them occasionally. But what do I know...

Eh...wot?

Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: kyron4] #6263576
06/20/18 10:01 AM
06/20/18 10:01 AM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
IMO - avoid messing with the balance in there and don't dump in the chemicals. About the only time I'd recommend different is if you have a root problem due to location.
Pump that bad boy every 3-5yrs depending on use, keep your field tidy, murder any guests who flush weird stuff and she'll last ya.

Last edited by DaYooper14; 06/20/18 10:01 AM.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: RID-X for septic tanks, what's the verdict ? [Re: Lugnut] #6263593
06/20/18 10:44 AM
06/20/18 10:44 AM
New York
Camohoyt340 Offline
trapper
Camohoyt340  Offline
trapper

New York
Originally Posted By: Lugnut

Well I guess if you took a three-day course ten years ago you must know what you're talking about...

Do you have any idea how many homes have simple two-line systems that were installed fifty or sixty years ago and are still operating fine? Hundreds of thousands would be a good estimate. Like I said above, as long as the system was properly installed; drain lines level from end to end in a 12" crushed stone bed, lines leaving the D-box at the same elevation so an equal amount of effluent flows into each line/drain field, etc., there is no reason why your system shouldn't last indefinitely.

My own two-line system was installed in 1969. It was used to an elderly couple until 1989 when I bought the place. I raised three girls since then and had the tank pumped once in that time. Everything is still working as designed.

I check the sludge level every year and it remains at one to two feet thick. I attribute that to the fact that we don't flush any harsh chemicals.

I installed septic systems exclusively for about ten years and now only do them occasionally. But what do I know...

I agree lugnut. If a system only lasted 5-8 years, I would be calling the installation company and having a few words. Sounds like this 3 day class was put on by someone in the business of installing and pumping septic systems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread