Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Wanna Be] #6262920
06/19/18 02:08 PM
06/19/18 02:08 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
That's what can happen with alot of knowledge and a bunch of coyotes.. The larger the coyote population you have the more traps get set at hot locations, pretty much common sense. When the populations are high there's more competition for the available food and territory. I'm not downplaying their catches, still takes a huge work ethic and skill.. And a skinner LOL..

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Wanna Be] #6263171
06/19/18 08:25 PM
06/19/18 08:25 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Numbers of target species available is the key factor, Phil would not catch a thousand red fox in a season in the Ozarks, nor would any one likely catch 600 coyotes here.
Beyond having the numbers, the work ethic to get up early, work hard all day and repeat with no supervision is what most of us lack. I've read some stuff the numbers trappers have posted about losing 30# or so in a few weeks of this work.

Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Mac] #6263178
06/19/18 08:33 PM
06/19/18 08:33 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted By: Mac
"Only 8 in the picture, iirc he set 12 traps and caught 11 was the story, but that might be wrong. I hope I never have a day like that, too much skinin there."

My bud Mark Zagger of Coyote U has several pictures like that from out West.
B.B.W. is not the only guy that can do that.
Mac
That's pretty much the point of posting that picture; anyone, including you, can do that, IF...There is no magic, no University affiliation, no special lure or trap needed. What is needed is hard work or a hard working partner. Work is what makes pictures like that possible.

Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Wanna Be] #6263279
06/19/18 11:01 PM
06/19/18 11:01 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Back In the 70s you could hardly catch a coyote around here. But When I went to MS I was catching 5 a day and I wasn't much of a coyote trapper. But I put In lots of hours and had lots of coyotes.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Wanna Be] #6263728
06/20/18 02:35 PM
06/20/18 02:35 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I just want my sets far enough apart the catch can't fight. I have seen several times where I caught a coyote and 1 to 3 of them lay down in the snow and sleep with 20 feet of the one that is caught. Many people use the same set over and over. Same lure - same trap. I like that idea but have gone to a flat set mixed in with my dirtholes now. I had 6 out of 8 sets one day. You can do it. Just take you time and bring you ''A'' game to each set and make each one the best it can be and see what happens. Sooner of later you will be posting pictures like the others and people will be asking you how to do it and you will be giving them the same answers we are giving you. You just have to try.

Just passin through
Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Wanna Be] #6263745
06/20/18 03:12 PM
06/20/18 03:12 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Out here,you will do better spacing them further apart and a visual break,between sets helps.

Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: Wanna Be] #6263751
06/20/18 03:25 PM
06/20/18 03:25 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Seems if I get sets to close when one gets nailed the others are more focused on the one in the trap. So I do both close and spaced. Seems most doubles are in the sets spaced out. With Red fox just the opposite. I get bored making the same sets over and over. I also get more response with variation of set types and attractions.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Help with multiple sets [Re: The Beav] #6264370
06/21/18 01:36 PM
06/21/18 01:36 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Z
Zimmer Offline
trapper
Zimmer  Offline
trapper
Z

Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: The Beav
There have been times when I will make 4 or 5 sets at a location. 2 will be lured In some way or another. 3 will be dummied up no lure no hole no nothing but a blended In trap.
I would Never make a set with out a trap placed and bedded.

Make a catch In 1 or 2 of the first sets. Then lure and bait or what ever the next 3 or maybe just one of Them. With a drift pin you can create scent holes at those dummied sets and be on your way In seconds. The less disturbance the better. The catch circles are your main attraction.

Lots of times you will find that some coyotes even fox and cats won't enter a catch circle. But they will investigate a catch circle. So now you are ready to go for those shy ones. Or there will be times that you won't be able to reset a set that has taken an animal.
Of coarse you can also re do the sets that have taken a critter. Or pick up those traps and move them to new locations or clean them.
If you decide to re use a dirty trap at a NEW set. Just haul a small amount of that catch circle dirt along with you. Now when you make that NEW set with a dirty trap the whole set will smell like the trap And you won't be creating a HOT spot with a dirty trap at a NEW set. Trust me It works.

Setting like this will save you time In the long run and catch you more critters. That Is If you have a good population of that target animal. And If your on location.

IMO there's a few important points in Beav's above comment! my hot locations get 4-5 sets - many hot locations remain so yr after yr. I need to use Beav's advise making a few sets w/o attractors until needed! Once I have a catch circle that's usually GAME ON - catches every OR every other night. the moving a dirty trap to a new location but using the old catch circle dirt makes a lot of sense and I may try it. Beav's term "Hot Spot" is most definitely the take home...hot spot typically causes trouble.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91