No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: white17] #6265034
06/22/18 03:10 PM
06/22/18 03:10 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: white17
Thanks Pass-thru. I agree with your previous post and agreement with Roberts. The courts are not the correct venue for this to be decided.

So do you think that states with no sales tax, will now institute one to cash in on this decision ?

I doubt it. If they were not already relying on sales tax for revenue stream, then they were not likely to have taken a hit in revenue when on line sales exploded. States that did have a sales tax are mainly trying recapture the tax revenue lost when purchases transitioned from brick and mortar to tax free online.

At the end of the day the states answer to their own voters. Implementing a new tax would seem to be a tough task.

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265036
06/22/18 03:14 PM
06/22/18 03:14 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I hope you're right ! That does make sense.

Mean As Nails
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: white17] #6265169
06/22/18 08:16 PM
06/22/18 08:16 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: white17
Of course I could be wrong but here's the way I see it happening;

This decision will benefit brick & mortar stores ONLY by increasing costs of online business.

Retailers that collect sales taxes keep a tiny portion of those taxes. But Amazon.....based just on sheer volume...will actually make more money by keeping a portion of those tax dollars and may/could use that new income to reduce prices. Eventually, both brick & mortar and online small businesses will succumb to Amazon's ability to under price them.

Surely, Amazon would not spend billions to "level the playing field" if there was no benefit to Amazon. IMO it is all about eliminating competition.

First off is not every state lets retailers retain some of the sales tax. It's a little over half.

I could be wrong(like usual) but I see amazon lobbying for internet sales tax because it will level the field for them against other online retailers. If you can believe Wiki, Amazon has fulfillment centers in 30 states and if I understand correctly they collect sales tax in every state that has a sales tax.

I can see why Ebay doesn't want this. If I order something from Amazon that comes from their fulfillment center I pay a little over 7 percent sales tax. If I order it on Ebay from a non Minnesota seller, that's a pretty good savings.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265240
06/22/18 09:52 PM
06/22/18 09:52 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Could very well be. I don't have a problem with cutthroat competition but this just seem to me to be the opposite. The whole thing smacks of being just like the net neutrality scam. I hope I'm wrong

Mean As Nails
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: ] #6265283
06/22/18 11:23 PM
06/22/18 11:23 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: BadgerTrapper97
Taxes are a theft of individual earnings, no matter what bs reason they say its for

Yeah OK. How do you propose to pay for infrastructure, emergency services and national defense?

Normally the people that complain the most about taxes pay the least anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if you're getting government money one way or the other....

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: Hal] #6265342
06/23/18 01:04 AM
06/23/18 01:04 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hal
I don't want to collect and/or submit 46 separate sales tax accounts.
I dealt with a lot of sales tax payments for a large publicly traded company. Sales tax laws can be very cumbersome, and they differ a lot by state.

Last edited by AJE; 06/23/18 01:10 AM.
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265385
06/23/18 05:03 AM
06/23/18 05:03 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
Could infastructure be built without the use of force? I dont know. I do know that even if a thief buys you an unsolicited candy bar after stealing your money, it is still theft.

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265459
06/23/18 08:24 AM
06/23/18 08:24 AM
Churchville, NY
B
Bob Samuelson Offline
trapper
Bob Samuelson  Offline
trapper
B

Churchville, NY
It basically comes down to states continuing unlimited spending and looking for another source of revenue! I see the argument that untaxed online sales that hurt “ local businesses” wasn’t mentioned in the article but focused more on how it will now benefit larger online retailers!

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265485
06/23/18 09:23 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Sounds like this will have little to no impact on small businesses under $100,000 of on-line income from what the news said so most of us are safe! LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: FlyinFinn] #6265486
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Could infastructure be built without the use of force? I dont know. I do know that even if a thief buys you an unsolicited candy bar after stealing your money, it is still theft.

Then why did you agree to be complicit by serving in the military? Living off the government suck that consisted of stolen taxes???

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265508
06/23/18 09:53 AM
06/23/18 09:53 AM
s.w. Missouri
C
coolstucco Offline
trapper
coolstucco  Offline
trapper
C

s.w. Missouri
How will this affect the collection of city and county sales taxes? The state of Missouri rate is 4.225 percent, the county collects 1.225 percent and Webb City collects 2.50 percent. If this only affects state sales taxes the internet sellers will still have a 2 to 4 percent advantage over the brick and mortar stores, possibly more when you consider special taxes and tif areas.

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: pass-thru] #6265524
06/23/18 10:43 AM
06/23/18 10:43 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn

Then why did you agree to be complicit by serving in the military? Living off the government suck that consisted of stolen taxes???

Had I known then what I think I know now, I wouldn't have. "Fight for right and freeeeeedom", yea right.

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265526
06/23/18 11:04 AM
06/23/18 11:04 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
sales tax here is almost 10%. county politicians never ceases whining about lack of funds. property tax works out to about 1% of value per year though they have a convoluted system I don't think anybody really understands. we also get to pay the county personal property tax for stuff we own. things like boats, atv's, trailers, and vehicles like cars and pickups. this tax is separate from tax for tags. tags cannot be bought till personal property tax is current

the money just disappears like a sugar cube in a thunderstorm. instead of more money, taxes need to be spent responsibly. people paying those taxes are often outvoted by those who do not when it comes to property and personal property tax. anybody not complaining about how much is forcibly taken from us hasn't ever looked into how much is being taken

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265532
06/23/18 11:18 AM
06/23/18 11:18 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
A guy working for wages earns a 1000 bucks. At least 20% is taken before he gets paid. It cost him lets say 20 bucks for fuel tax to get to work in a pickup that costs 7 bucks a week for tag tax. excise taxes on tires also along with sales tax. 10% sales tax for any groceries he eats that week along with taxes on utilities and phones.

We enjoy a system of tax upon tax upon tax. Time to end welfare and cut the military in half. Time for the U.S. to defend only ourselves. constitutional government means no firearm laws. the rest of the world knows this country is full of privately owned firearms. invasion is VERY unlikely.

we are taxed the way we are because of people soaking up our tax dollars. not just military contractors but business who pay employees almost nothing because their employees are getting subsidies for low wages. the list is almost endless

anybody else wonder why the R's are not calling for a balanced budget anymore now that they could do it???????

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265546
06/23/18 12:01 PM
06/23/18 12:01 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
If you want less of something, you tax it. If you want more of something, you reduce the tax on it. Works every time.

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: pass-thru] #6265549
06/23/18 12:13 PM
06/23/18 12:13 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Originally Posted By: BadgerTrapper97
Taxes are a theft of individual earnings, no matter what bs reason they say its for

Yeah OK. How do you propose to pay for infrastructure, emergency services and national defense?

Normally the people that complain the most about taxes pay the least anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if you're getting government money one way or the other....

(Sarcasm font on) I agree. I don't know how anyone could be absolutely disgusted with paying taxes. I mean, the government is so responsible with what they're given... Let's hand them more. (Sarcasm font off)

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265556
06/23/18 12:32 PM
06/23/18 12:32 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
I would like to know why some States charge a sales tax on shipping and handling . They should be taxing the product you buy, not taxing you also on the cost of shipping and handling .

Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265621
06/23/18 04:03 PM
06/23/18 04:03 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
From WSJ today;

By James Freeman

Just a few short years after the federal government eliminated Amazon’s most formidable competition in book sales, Washington is now helping the tech giant prevent upstarts from challenging its position in electronic commerce.

Years from now Thursday’s 5-4 Wayfair decision allowing state and local governments to force out-of-state retailers to collect taxes will be the one that Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch regret the most. The other two Justices in support, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy, will likely be less bothered by the disruption of commerce that is sure to result.

For decades the law has prevented America’s 10,000 taxing authorities from imposing collection burdens on people with no physical presence in their jurisdictions. The court has now repealed that sensible standard and invited a million bureaucratic definitions to bloom. If Justices thought the physical-presence standard was arbitrary, wait until they get a look at the multitude of replacements that will begin oozing out of municipal revenue departments.

The idea that this is a restoration of federalism is a howler—states have never in the history of the republic enjoyed such power to hassle people outside their borders. The power to tax also means the power to impose reporting rules and the power to audit. Now state and city governments are free to impose burdens that crush distant small businesses and there will be no political accountability—because the tax collectors will be oppressing people with no representation in the abusive jurisdiction.

Laura Stevens of the Journal reports:

The businesses most hurt from the U.S. Supreme Court’s internet tax ruling aren’t the big online retailers—instead, the losers will likely be the millions of small-business owners who sell on marketplaces such as Amazon.com Inc. and eBay Inc. ..

“Trying to follow all the thousands of laws of tax jurisdictions across the country would put us out of business. That is all I would do all day,” said Cyndi Zlotow, who sells about $250,000 annually of apparel and other goods on eBay, Amazon and Etsy Inc. from near Chicago.

Tonya Garcia at MarketWatch notes the upside for the reigning champion of online retailing:

Amazon already collects sales tax on its own goods. Experts say third parties and small businesses are the companies that will really be affected by the case.

“The smaller companies are going to have the problem,” said Paul Graney, state and local tax leader at Marcum LLP, who notes the complexity in learning state tax rates and implementing a system for collecting the right amount... Details about who will now have to pay sales tax, how much and where still have to be worked out... As the issue is sorted out, Amazon could turn the ruling into a new revenue stream, according to Graney.

“It could be a boon for Amazon,” he said, proposing that the company could say, “We’ll start collecting the sales tax for you and we attach a fee.”

Other companies with a marketplace, like Walmart Inc. could also go down this route, he said.

So the benefits extend from the largest online retailer all the way to the largest bricks-and-mortar retailer. Now they can both squeeze more revenue out of mom-and-pop online sellers. How did a decision that trashes long-established precedent, helps state and local tax departments and hurts small businesses at the expense of giant corporations ever get three conservative votes?

There may be no answer, but Congress must act immediately to write a new standard that gives potential competitors at least a fighting chance against Amazon.

Mean As Nails
Re: Scotus rules for online sales tax [Re: corky] #6265856
06/24/18 12:59 AM
06/24/18 12:59 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I think the Twin Cities is the worst I've seen. Take Minneapolis for example: 6.875% state sales tax, 1/2% city of Mnpls sales tax.
.15% Hennepin County sales tax. And now 1/2% Transit sales tax.
Totals 8.025%.
It just keeps increasing. The least they could do is pick an even number instead of extending it 3 decimal points.

At some point governments should simplify sales tax, and stop raising it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread