No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Perfict Storm #6265533
06/23/18 11:22 AM
06/23/18 11:22 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline OP
trapper
Newt  Offline OP
trapper
N

Build'n snares in the shop ,with TV on. Watching the Perfict Storm.
Altho I was never in weather that bad. It brings back memories of the weather I have been in.
As a young man I worked on Surf Clam boats out of Alantic City.
We had some close calls. In the mid 80's when I worked on the Ocean(North Alantic)The Natinal Marine Fisheries Service,told us what days we could work.It was very dangerous. We lost more boats in the 80's right here off this shore than the crabers in Alaska,have lost before and since.Mind you ,we were on the same size and type of boats you see on TV today.

Man I have to write this stuff in a book.So my grand kids will know what it was to make a living off the land and water like I have.
SAD we are being so reglated. Its harder and harder.Its all just about over,they want us to be puppets and follow what we are told how to live. Guess I have lived at one of the best times there ever was. The way this country is go'n ITS OVER.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265536
06/23/18 11:35 AM
06/23/18 11:35 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
No doubt that the duck hunting can be hazardous in your neck of the wood too. You all are lucky to have survived that.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265540
06/23/18 11:44 AM
06/23/18 11:44 AM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Yes sir the powers that be sure don't want a person to make a living without being as beholden to them as possible. Commercial fishing, small farms, commercial trapping, or anything along those lines is being regulated out of existence.

A lot of the wildlife and fishery related ways to make money are being destroyed by biologists who don't know their behind hole from a hole in the ground.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265559
06/23/18 12:34 PM
06/23/18 12:34 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Newt You are 100% right about our way of living is coming to an end . Modern society thinks milk comes from a grocery store in a plastic container . They have no concept of how the food chain works .The never associate a steer grazing in a pasture and a Ribeye steak they order at their local steak restaurant .Those that have spent a lifetime of fishing ,hunting ,gathering are under attack from every direction . They used to be admired for their hard work and knowledge .Now they often times go about their business as low key as possible to avoid being hassled .Their are many on this site that should write a book . We are a dying breed and after us there will be few left that even remember a time when the things we did where a life long way of living . Hurry and write that book .I will be one of the first to buy an autographed copy

Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265569
06/23/18 12:54 PM
06/23/18 12:54 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I would read your book Newt.

I sometimes think I missed my calling, perhaps I should've been a mariner of some sort.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265626
06/23/18 04:25 PM
06/23/18 04:25 PM
N
Newt Offline OP
trapper
Newt  Offline OP
trapper
N

My writing abilitys aint much.
I had a brain storm.
I think I'll vedio myself telling the stories. If it good enough for a book. Someone could write them out.

What do you guys think about that idea?

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265675
06/23/18 05:55 PM
06/23/18 05:55 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
You'll have film crews fighting over the rights Newt.

Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265766
06/23/18 09:12 PM
06/23/18 09:12 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Go for it Newt.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265772
06/23/18 09:21 PM
06/23/18 09:21 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Yep you got that right. they have taken the fun right out of most jobs that are in any way water related. Or indeed nature related. And those folks will never realize that mother nature does not read their memos and will not be regulated.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265922
06/24/18 07:00 AM
06/24/18 07:00 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Newt
My writing abilitys aint much.
I had a brain storm.
I think I'll vedio myself telling the stories. If it good enough for a book. Someone could write them out.

What do you guys think about that idea?

Excellent idea Newt.

My buddy Jeff Morrison did just exactly this prior to his death from congestive heart failure.

He'd been a commercial fisherman, trapper and logger from the Stoddard area all his life. He wanted to be sure his very young grandchildren got to know his story from his perspective. So he recorded himself talking about his life for many hours.

Good idea, have somebody help you with the technical aspect of it and make copies.

Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Muskrat] #6265931
06/24/18 07:20 AM
06/24/18 07:20 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Great idea Newt. I'd like to hear your story.

Maybe we can help with the title??
-Sea Weed & Clam Juice
-High Tides & Low Tides
-Pine Barren's Master

Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265933
06/24/18 07:28 AM
06/24/18 07:28 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
some regs are there for a reason. You just can't be out there raping and pillaging the resources. Unregulated hunting fishing and trapping would be the death of us all.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: The Beav] #6265944
06/24/18 07:47 AM
06/24/18 07:47 AM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: The Beav
some regs are there for a reason. You just can't be out there raping and pillaging the resources. Unregulated hunting fishing and trapping would be the death of us all.

Beav, yes your right, but you can also regulate something to death as well. Kind of like the death of a thousand cuts, just a little each time. The anti consumptive groups have learned to pick at the fringes, with hopes that user groups will compromise. The compromising has it's limits, but the anti groups never see it like that, and just return with more regulation, or restrictions lots of times based on no science, or better yet incomplete science. Everything has a limit!!

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: ringtailtrapper] #6265983
06/24/18 08:33 AM
06/24/18 08:33 AM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Online content
trapper
Zim  Online Content
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Newt, there are many folks on here that are great writers that understand our way of life. Bob Noonan comes to mind, Mike Wilhite, and others.

Zim

Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6265985
06/24/18 08:36 AM
06/24/18 08:36 AM
Morehead city NC
JakeDog Offline
trapper
JakeDog  Offline
trapper

Morehead city NC
Come down to NC we don't have too bad a regs, depending what type of fishing you want to do? probably least regulated on East/gulf coast. Yes have seen rough seas, couple times that have made me super cautious and usually don't go with Captains I don't know and trust personally. Guess I got too many years on me and there has come a prevalence of Captains that are either straight stupid or have no respect for the water? maybe the license process has become too loose.

J

Suppression rules/prevention drools

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: ringtailtrapper] #6265987
06/24/18 08:39 AM
06/24/18 08:39 AM
Morehead city NC
JakeDog Offline
trapper
JakeDog  Offline
trapper

Morehead city NC
Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Beav, yes your right, but you can also regulate something to death as well. Kind of like the death of a thousand cuts, just a little each time. The anti consumptive groups have learned to pick at the fringes, with hopes that user groups will compromise. The compromising has it's limits, but the anti groups never see it like that, and just return with more regulation, or restrictions lots of times based on no science, or better yet incomplete science. Everything has a limit!!

RTT

It wont be regs and tree huggers that kill comm fishing it will be the big industry, big fleet boats, big aquaculture. In NC right now the politicians are trying to sell our waters to a big aquacuture company outta Maine. if that happens and mom and pop gill netter or small shrimper are gone? sell your stuff its over. Comms be thiking CCA is their friends! LOL

And yes everything has a limit, I remember growing up to great spot runs in the fall, and croakers 2/3/4lbs, big grey trout - they are all gone in NC, big steel hulled boats trawling the Pamlico to death, those big industrial jokers need be kicked off the beach @ 3 miles.

Last edited by JakeDog; 06/24/18 08:42 AM.

Suppression rules/prevention drools

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: Newt] #6266019
06/24/18 09:20 AM
06/24/18 09:20 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Good idea newt

Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: The Beav] #6266057
06/24/18 10:07 AM
06/24/18 10:07 AM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR

Absolutely true Beav. Over regulation ends in the same result though.

When they do away with the commercial take on something because x number were shipped out of State, and then you ask well what do you think the population is and the answer is a shrug and a "Who Knows?" there is something wrong.

Also it is quite easy for a biologist with an agenda to skew the results of their sampling for population estimates by setting nets, traps, etc, NOT to catch.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: JakeDog] #6266062
06/24/18 10:12 AM
06/24/18 10:12 AM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
[/quote]

It wont be regs and tree huggers that kill comm fishing it will be the big industry, big fleet boats, big aquaculture. In NC right now the politicians are trying to sell our waters to a big aquacuture company outta Maine. if that happens and mom and pop gill netter or small shrimper are gone? sell your stuff its over. Comms be thiking CCA is their friends! LOL

And yes everything has a limit, I remember growing up to great spot runs in the fall, and croakers 2/3/4lbs, big grey trout - they are all gone in NC, big steel hulled boats trawling the Pamlico to death, those big industrial jokers need be kicked off the beach @ 3 miles. [/quote]

Jake, I find that regulatory, and political issues lots of times find very strange allies. The problem is those big cooperate companies, and fleets you speak of today will someday be in the crosshairs of those pushing more regulations. This is by design to limit the numbers they will have to deal with at a later date. Never hard to build sentiment against a cooperate America, seems like there is always someone wanting to but the hurt on some cooperation for making money. The anti consumptive groups wish to regulate the little guys out of business first, and do that by help of cooperate America, then when the time is right destroy the cooperate aspect of the equation. The anti consumptive groups my even turn the issues into a continued revenue build opportunity, by becoming part of the regulatory factor of the industry, this to some degree is what the HSUS has done in many states. These groups either destroy a whole industry, or worm their way into a revenue source, then regulate it in a manner that benefits the agenda.

Sorry Newet, write that book mister, there are a lot of people that you know that will help you with that endeavor, so make it happen mister. grin

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: The Perfict Storm [Re: ringtailtrapper] #6266148
06/24/18 12:47 PM
06/24/18 12:47 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Beav don't understand East Coast Baymen , We have the right of plunder handed down to us , lol

And I can't watch that movie again....

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread