Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap Prep Question #6265700
06/23/18 06:57 PM
06/23/18 06:57 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
As you may already know I’m new to trapping. I’ve acquired a few dozen used traps and have switched chains and swivels and have adjusted pan height and pan tension. Of course they’re used and in very good shape. They kind of have that grease mixed with a ton of dust coating to them that comes after years of sitting.

I DO NOT have a propane burner for boiling and waxing. I also know that everyone has they’re specific way of doing things but I really like to try to keep things simple. So please tell me if what I’m going to describe will work and please let me know if there’s anything that you would do different.

1. Now that all is checked, etc... I plan to power wash everything.
2. After power washing allow to set and weather a little although not much for the old traps.
3. Dip in FMJ and allow to cure for a few days prior to storing in plastic totes.

How’s that, did I miss anything?

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6265802
06/23/18 10:51 PM
06/23/18 10:51 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
We need to know what is on the traps NOW?.
are you sure it's factory grease and dust?

If so, do what I do.....in a tote, spray traps heavy with Greased Lightening or PUrple stuff or Green stuff or ANY grease remover, the next day, flip them and spray heavy again, then flip and spray the next day, then take to carwash and spray an entire cycle of soap, flipping 3-4 times
Then another entire cycle of clean rinse also flipping 3-4 times.

If there is NO RUST at all, you can put them in the dishwasher, but you MUST make sure the chains are secured to stay in place so they don't block the spinning arms.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6265806
06/23/18 10:57 PM
06/23/18 10:57 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6265808
06/23/18 11:05 PM
06/23/18 11:05 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
Thanks John, I appreciate it. I guess since the swivels and such are new I’ll just go ahead and spray them first. Thanks for reminding me of that step.

What do I do with the used traps that have wax on them? Will the degreaser and/or power washer take off the wax?

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6265823
06/23/18 11:47 PM
06/23/18 11:47 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
dirty cruddy traps im a firm believer in 50/50 vinegar water bath for 24 hours then pressure wash them for a long time. Or you can soak them in baking soda and water another 24 hrs. Then wash if your concerned about any residual vinegar left in the metal pores

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6266051
06/24/18 09:52 AM
06/24/18 09:52 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Soak in warm water and Dawn. Scrub what looks like it’s caked on. Rinse well. Let dry. Spray paint with whatever color trips your trigger. After drying, do a second coat on places you missed. Let dry a day or two and wax. Or dip in Full Metal Jacket. FMJ on traps will turn milky white on water sets. It says so on the label. But if your traps are buried, I’ve found it doesn’t matter.

I’ve discovered a little rust bleed thru doesn’t affect my catches at all. A lot of rust does. Last year was my first experience with FMJ. It held up well. I’m kind of doubting I’ll ever go back to dipping in hot wax again.

All my body grip traps only get spray painted. Even the water sets get flat black paint. Land sets usually get dry-grass tan. I respray as necessary but usually every 3-4 years is all that’s necessary.

Never too old to learn
Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6266156
06/24/18 12:59 PM
06/24/18 12:59 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I would just add,I don't like to seal them in totes for storage.I'd rather have the lid off for storage.Let things breath,including the plastic tote.

Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: TheBig1] #6266269
06/24/18 04:18 PM
06/24/18 04:18 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
Originally Posted By: TheBig1
As you may already know I’m new to trapping. I’ve acquired a few dozen used traps and have switched chains and swivels and have adjusted pan height and pan tension. Of course they’re used and in very good shape. They kind of have that grease mixed with a ton of dust coating to them that comes after years of sitting.

If they are used, Like you say, I doubt they have a grease coating.

Are they going to be used for water trapping, or predator trapping? Trap prep could be different.

Like John posted, go thru the trap prep archives. ALL your questions are answered there, and lots of good reading.

You may like to keep things simple, but you can't take shortcuts. It'll come back to bite you.

Re: Trap Prep Question [Re: yukonal] #6268214
06/27/18 03:41 PM
06/27/18 03:41 PM
SW Montmorency Co, MI
L
langenc Offline
trapper
langenc  Offline
trapper
L

SW Montmorency Co, MI
I dont think power/car wash will remove wax from traps..Pretty much need to melt the wax and
let it float away.

22 Chuck
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91