ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
wireless cameras #6271435
07/02/18 09:57 PM
07/02/18 09:57 PM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline OP
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
anybody using wireless cameras for ADC work? Like Arlo or Blink from amazon?

Re: wireless cameras [Re: Traps R Us] #6271500
07/02/18 11:25 PM
07/02/18 11:25 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Nope, Still using trail cams here.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: wireless cameras [Re: Traps R Us] #6272430
07/04/18 11:47 AM
07/04/18 11:47 AM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
I believe others are using some of those brands- seems like it was discussed briefly at the nwcoa event back in January. I think Chris O‘Banion was speaking about the Arlo’s.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: wireless cameras [Re: Traps R Us] #6272538
07/04/18 01:54 PM
07/04/18 01:54 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Here is a link to a similar previous discussion- Wireless Trail Cameras

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: wireless cameras [Re: Traps R Us] #6273150
07/05/18 12:24 PM
07/05/18 12:24 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Uwe, I think Eric did an article on some of the new ones in WCT Mag a short while ago. I'll make a few statements just based on our use and purchase of
some through the years.

First, Arlo. Or any system, make sure you talk to enough people about the "glitches" that you know what to expect in terms of how often they are going to operate
flawlessly and how often they are going to throw you worthless clips you can't tell whats going on.

Arlo specifically for home, we bought two of their cameras, running directly off wi-fi in a small residential house to monitor a rehab maternity colony of pallid bats we
had last year. We got some amazing footage, but my better half who checked all the new clips each day can tell you we also got loads and loads of glitches including
the video starting and then just freezing or being unviewable.

When we went looking for answers, things like "download the app again" or "I'm having the same issue and can't fix it" came up, no bueno if you are looking to use these
for trap checks in compliance with a state allowance for checking with cameras.

Arlo for the field of course is different, its a cell setup, and supposedly wherever you have cell reception you can use them. We were going to try one and send back if same issues
but haven't yet.

____

The one I currently own for some basic checks on injured animals or coyote with mange in urban suburban areas is the one Eric recommended which is a covert cam, there are many years of them now on the market and amazon has them.

That one works off cell, is as small as other small trail cameras, and you can decide how much you want to be seeing and paying, etc... So much more custom than the first cameras years ago that we invested in.

Which brings me to my last point, try one and see if you like it! Before buying 3-5 or more if you need them. Easier if you need to return and if you get stuck with 1 better than a bunch, which is what I did years ago when the tech wasn't near as good.

$ are hard earned and nothing dislike more than feeling like I wasted it on a bad investment in equipment that doesn't work right.

--

With any tech I expect some issues, even good solid normal trail cameras can get bad pics, or have issues with things, but tech is a good
thing for us in many ways and I'm glad its available and getting better.

Cameras in my opinion can increase our ability to check difficult to get to locations, check gear early in the morning or as soon as something
happens there and ultimately thats better for the wildlife we work with and the clients we serve.

Just evaluate before investing! Or assure you know the return policy! Can't go wrong with Amazon in my book on that front!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread