Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support PCS Outdoors, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Forum Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Super Soft Coon Leather #6240839
05/15/18 04:51 PM
05/15/18 04:51 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline OP
trapper
Tweed  Offline OP
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Last week I was pickling some coon skins. Later that night I was rummaging around in the freezer looking for some ground meat and came across a coon that I forgot about that still needed to be fleshed. I hung it up to thaw and fleshed it the next afternoon.

After I fleshed it I threw it right into the pickle with out drying/stretching. It feels radically different then all the other pelts and is also much lighter in color. I took them all out of the pickle Last Thursday and the forgot one is still very damp. Will it turn out the same as the other or by not drying it first really going to make that much of a difference?

I should also include a day after removing from the pickle I brained them.

Re: Super Soft Coon Leather [Re: Tweed] #6274957
07/08/18 02:38 PM
07/08/18 02:38 PM
Missouri
T
thetrappergreen Offline
trapper
thetrappergreen  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri
You left out one important step, degrees it. When I put up fur to tan I skin flesh then rub salt in let drain overnight, more fresh salt 2nd day for coon and beaver, then put in degrees bath. There's a bunch of ways to degrees but do it outside. Wash rinse with dawn dish soap.Damp Dry just so it's not dripping and it's ready for the pickle. You can freeze at this point until you have a good batch too. Best of luck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread