No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274431
07/07/18 01:35 PM
07/07/18 01:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Non PCFed,I missed your question. The T in AIHTS refers to trapping.Set Guns as a trap method for taking fur bearers is not allowed in any jurisdictions I know of.

Hunting of course is regulated by the competent authority(provincial wildlife managers here),and shooting with a firearm is considered by veterinary pathologists one of the most humane ways to harvest.

We are allowed under our trapping licence to use a firearm to take fur,as well as small game on our registered traplines here.

Last edited by Boco; 07/07/18 01:37 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: Steven 49er] #6274434
07/07/18 02:02 PM
07/07/18 02:02 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Originally Posted By: Monster Toms

It is always nice to know there is another voice of reason out there! If CG can buy the best for the right money they will use them. but like everything, big business has a budget, buy the best you can afford and move on. This is how tractor supply can trim coats bought with $10 coyotes.

I wouldn't call me a voice of reason. If you would have asked me a week ago what I thought about traceability I would have said pound sand. That is until I received a phone call a couple days ago that made me rethink my position. I've made several calls since trying to educate myself on what they want and what direction the markets could be heading. I think one of these days you and I need to talk and you can educate me some more.

But I digress you were speaking about economics and margins. One would think that when CG is charging 700 dollars on up for a parka it wouldnt matter if a coyote costs more but it's all about managing costs and margins. That's over the head of most trappers.

That's odd, you call me "FLIPPANT" when you'd have said exactly (pound sand) what i did before Monster toms added info.
I'd call that hypocrisy. I guess you don't understand the word "if" in my posts.

People can call me whatever, even a neanderthal but ya'll will never be able to call me a "sell-out" for a couple dollars.

Last edited by hippie; 07/07/18 02:03 PM.
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: Steven 49er] #6274439
07/07/18 02:22 PM
07/07/18 02:22 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Originally Posted By: hippie
It's not "flippant" to tell them to pound sand if, as it appeared before Monster Toms straightened out what they want, was the way it was headed. I won't chance allowing one company that may not be here ten years from now even suggesting law cahnges. It sure looked that way at first on this post.

I think it would be "flippant" to allow something like that to happen. We have our state agencies working with our trapping assn's keeping things on the up-and-up so we don't need what appeared to be an outside, no idea what we do company telling us. IMO of course.

(like i said a couple years ago when this first came up, all our laws and methods are easily found on line for them to either accept or deny our goods.)

It is flippant. Yes, they could be gone in ten years or they could just as easily double their market. Now ask youself how owuld they do that when they can not get enough coyotes already. They will have to come up with new product lines that either include another form a wild fur or go without. Right now I'm being told they want to use sustainable wild fur. Lets hope they don't start looking at something lkke blue fox.

I'm being told they have an idea of what they would like but are very open to suggestions and it's a work in progress. Make no bones about it, they aren't doing it to appease the anti's. Anti's don't believe in sustainable, humane harvests.

All I'm saying is I think we need to keep an open mind and be a part of the process or it may just be dictated to us.

Wallfur, I hear what you are saying. I'm leery of taking anyone on the line with me, even the neighbor. Not because I have anyting to hide but that is my nature.

See my "if" and "before Monster Toms" in your quote of me? Same thing your saying.

I'll add this and then i'll bow out to the powers to be.....

At least ya'll who are talking to these people MIGHT have learned from a couple of us that we all don't want to become a cage state to sell furs for a couple dollars extra.

SHOULD IT COME TO THAT.

Last edited by hippie; 07/07/18 02:28 PM.
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274450
07/07/18 02:37 PM
07/07/18 02:37 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
So is there any way that we could sell illegally harvested fur without lying about it??
And if we do lie about it would the end user be able to tell the difference? Point is all CG or any other user needs to know about the legality of the harvest is that the fur could not be for sale other wise.

The gist of what CG wants now according to Monster Toms posts are far different than what they wanted according to the NAFA stuff a year ago and according to the GFW form a then. But, they can be assured that all furs shipped to auctions have been legally taken (or successfully lied about) or the taker would be in jail, that is how laws work. The sourcing should not even be a problem, coyotes are all North American and non-ranched, aren't they? Sustainability is again a no-brainer, no State or Province is going to allow harvest of endangered species. Some trust in the State and Provincial authority would be all that is needed for their certs.

Thanks Todd and Otis for your first hand information.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: hippie] #6274488
07/07/18 04:28 PM
07/07/18 04:28 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted By: hippie
That or we'll all be using cage traps when a buyer says we need to.

Uh huh ...

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: NonPCfed] #6274489
07/07/18 04:29 PM
07/07/18 04:29 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted By: NonPCfed
Quote:
NonPCfed brings up an unusual but pertinent point....what's next....dictating the round and caliber coyotes can be hunted with...goofy! Dead is dead....

If allowed, I'm sure the bullets will have to be full copper or something "non-toxic". I better buy some Barnes bullet stock. I need to go do some work outside before it gets hot.

Now we're all getting on the same page with concerns

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274497
07/07/18 05:08 PM
07/07/18 05:08 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
absolutely not,feel All trappers should stick together to set a precedent that what we are doing is already humane and then some.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274943
07/08/18 02:07 PM
07/08/18 02:07 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
I call BS on the whole traceability thing for CG, and the auction houses, because the avenue for traceability already exist within the current system. Each shipper supplies an address, and license number from their respected state upon shipping fur to the auction houses. the individual is thus identified, as is location, so who much more do you need for traceability. Traceability is something the auction houses have the ability to address themselves, and to some degree an issue that most shippers already was in some regards in place. Is not most fur already graded into sections ?? Why is this not something that the auction houses could have dealt with upon their own accord, thus offering an more opportunity to their potential buyers ?? All the good promotional efforts they said that have been going on, and they couldn't even come up with that has a service to their buyers ??

The issue is certifying trappers, that is the root of the problem, because it offers nothing in regards to traceability, but a whole avenue to accountability. If they certify you, then they will be able to hold you accountable, and how do the hold you accountable, they regulate you. Fewer trappers more intensely regulated is what you will have in the long term, and that plays right into the hands that look to do away with us totally.

I will oppose any type of certification upon my fellow trappers, and those that promote it. Like Mr. Jones point out, trappers have made many great changes over the last several decades, and I don't think these people are ready to toss all those efforts to the side, just at an opportunity at a temporary market. If we agree to certification, then trappers will be bound in chains foraged of themselves, and I pray that never happens.

RTT

Last edited by ringtailtrapper; 07/08/18 02:08 PM.

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274944
07/08/18 02:15 PM
07/08/18 02:15 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Perhaps Google Peta and Canada Goose.Maybe it is for the defense of Canada Goose.I find it odd that Peta filed a lawsuit and owns stock in CG.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: tbn] #6274947
07/08/18 02:17 PM
07/08/18 02:17 PM
Wisconsin
V
virgil1972 Offline
trapper
virgil1972  Offline
trapper
V

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: tbn
Perhaps Google Peta and Canada Goose.Maybe it is for the defense of Canada Goose.I find it odd that Peta filed a lawsuit and owns stock in CG.

Makes sense. Peta is trying to stop Canada Goose in the courts and also trying to change them from the inside.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274952
07/08/18 02:29 PM
07/08/18 02:29 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have not seen an accountability tag on Canadian maple syrup.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: Furvor] #6274956
07/08/18 02:37 PM
07/08/18 02:37 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: Furvor
I have not seen an accountability tag on Canadian maple syrup.

No accountability tag, but I bet it is regulated in some manner if its certified.

RTT

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274974
07/08/18 03:02 PM
07/08/18 03:02 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
PETA exists to make money. They do it by keeping the Disney movie watching crowd up in arms. They probably claim stock in cg is to change things from the inside but without a majority of shares the only thing they will do is profit. Something peta is well aware of. Aware not only that they will never have a majority share but that profit is likely.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6274982
07/08/18 03:20 PM
07/08/18 03:20 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Our Kansas coyotes don't fit the bill for CG anyway so I guess it is more of a smaller portion of the western states.Maybe the Chinese will still have a few dollars left this year for one more good run,lol.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: ringtailtrapper] #6274985
07/08/18 03:33 PM
07/08/18 03:33 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper
I call BS on the whole traceability thing for CG, and the auction houses, because the avenue for traceability already exist within the current system. Each shipper supplies an address, and license number from their respected state upon shipping fur to the auction houses. the individual is thus identified, as is location, so who much more do you need for traceability. Traceability is something the auction houses have the ability to address themselves, and to some degree an issue that most shippers already was in some regards in place. Is not most fur already graded into sections ?? Why is this not something that the auction houses could have dealt with upon their own accord, thus offering an more opportunity to their potential buyers ?? All the good promotional efforts they said that have been going on, and they couldn't even come up with that has a service to their buyers ??

The issue is certifying trappers, that is the root of the problem, because it offers nothing in regards to traceability, but a whole avenue to accountability. If they certify you, then they will be able to hold you accountable, and how do the hold you accountable, they regulate you. Fewer trappers more intensely regulated is what you will have in the long term, and that plays right into the hands that look to do away with us totally.

I will oppose any type of certification upon my fellow trappers, and those that promote it. Like Mr. Jones point out, trappers have made many great changes over the last several decades, and I don't think these people are ready to toss all those efforts to the side, just at an opportunity at a temporary market. If we agree to certification, then trappers will be bound in chains foraged of themselves, and I pray that never happens.

RTT

RTT, I am not personally advocating for it all out. All I am saying is maybe we should keep an open mind.

One thing that I think you and I have agreed on in the past is without a decent, viable market with returns that are profitable trapping as we know it is in a big hurt.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: danny clifton] #6274986
07/08/18 03:37 PM
07/08/18 03:37 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
PETA exists to make money. They do it by keeping the Disney movie watching crowd up in arms. They probably claim stock in cg is to change things from the inside but without a majority of shares the only thing they will do is profit. Something peta is well aware of. Aware not only that they will never have a majority share but that profit is likely.

Danny I agree on the money issue with PETA, but having shares in CG is a completely different matter, but the two different directions could intersect for sure. If enough shares are owned by PETA members, then they could effect positions upon the board. Even if it only was a couple of seats on the BOD, then these people could influence others upon the board to take a direction like we are seeing now. To some with no idea about trapping some of these request they are asking for seem like no big deal, and reasonable in their eyes. PETA will have an avenue to change culture from within, and they have the bank roll to do it. They have gotten creative, while we set back and just react to their next move, poor way to go about things.

RTT

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: Steven 49er] #6274999
07/08/18 04:09 PM
07/08/18 04:09 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
[/quote]

RTT, I am not personally advocating for it all out. All I am saying is maybe we should keep an open mind.

One thing that I think you and I have agreed on in the past is without a decent, viable market with returns that are profitable trapping as we know it is in a big hurt.
[/quote]

Steven, I agree viable markets are in a big hurt, but I don't believe this is the manner in how to fix things. Why every time we have a problem within trapping, or the fur industry is it the trappers that is somehow at fault/ the problem ?? Why after all trappers have to go through to get licensed with their states, and the regulations afield, and regulations upon shipping fur, why do they need more. Enough will never be enough Steven, and it has to stop, especially from those within our own community.

RTT

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6275075
07/08/18 06:45 PM
07/08/18 06:45 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
ringtailtrapper I have to ask what do you base your opinion on? You seem to feel this is the death of fur trapping. What makes you feel that way?

Last edited by MJM; 07/08/18 06:46 PM.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6275081
07/08/18 06:53 PM
07/08/18 06:53 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Not to mention why CG is going to follow trappers around this year to see how things are done.I smell something fishy myself.

Re: Canada Goose Accountability [Re: yotetrapper30] #6275097
07/08/18 07:23 PM
07/08/18 07:23 PM
Manitoba
M
Mbcoyote Offline
trapper
Mbcoyote  Offline
trapper
M

Manitoba
Couldn't we trappers band together to form some kind of committee buy shares in CG as well? As far as I know they have $4000 worth. And claim they now have a say so. That way we could educate CG on what goes on and a trapper would be at meetings advocating for us. Probably never gonna happen but buying shares in other companies that use fur makes sense to me. Not Just CG.

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread