Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

KaatzBros
(Please support Kaatz Brothers Lures, our sponsor for the Lure and Bait Making Page)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6276491 - 07/10/18 06:20 PM Lure came out wrong??
Yes sir Offline
trapper

Loc: Marion Kansas
Anyone else ever mix something up and it doesn't come out smelling anything close to what you expected. Happens to me more than I would think it should (but I'm just learning). I'll share me latest experience. So I have a pint of deer testicles that I aged for a month and then preserved. They had a fishy smell when I preserved them. About 2 weeks ago I decided to use them. Opened jar and the odor had changed to kind of an earthy musky odor. Took two ounces of this for the base and added. 8 drops tinctured Civit musk and a drop of tonquin musk. Now the formulation smells like chocolate to me. Wife will not smell any more of my trapping lures (which she never agrees with the smell of one with me anyways) to verify what I'm smelling. I'll go ahead and test anyways. Who knows..

Edited by Yes sir (07/10/18 06:22 PM)

#6276523 - 07/10/18 07:00 PM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
what was your theory when adding civet and tonquin to them?

#6276526 - 07/10/18 07:03 PM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
Yes sir Offline
trapper

It had a musky smell to it so I kind of thought those two would work in that direction but I'm just a beginner and my "theories" don't have much bases behind them at this point.

#6276698 - 07/10/18 11:01 PM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
Yes sir Offline
trapper

Danny
You posed an interesting question that got me thinking. What was my theory? In this actual case my theory is based mostly from what I've read in the the lure making books I have. From what I gather both of these ingredients are top shelf ingredients in predator lures. Based off the formulations in these books I see where civet is used both in food base lures and gland based lures. What little I can gather on tonquin is it will improve a lot of different formulations. So I went for it. But as a beginner at this stuff I find the knowledge of truthful theories on lure making intriguing. Such as which side odors work together, which side odors work with which base materials, what chemical compounds cause which reactions and just as important why. But I also find it the most difficult information to gain. Either because some people don't know it to share with you, or the ones that do know value it to much to pass it out freely ( which I can understand) or they know the best way is to learn it is on your own. Anyway I have to start somewhere. I don't necessarily want to just learn the recipe to a good lure but I want to learn the "theories" of making good lures. I may never get beyond the elementary grade in this learning but so far I'm enjoying it. I work at picking bits and pieces here and there so I have a starting point to built these theories from. For example I think Lazarus mentioned on here that he added rotten down rattle snake to his cat urine to liven it up. Now my first thought is are there other rotten down materials that will add attraction to urine or is there a key chemical compound in rattlesnake that makes it work, or will this work for coyotes and coyote urine also. Another bit I learned on here from one of the legends (I think it was Asa But don't quote me) was that rotten down muskrat glands causes the most intense digging reaction of anything they had worked with. I could name many different things that I have picked up on but there are still a lot of gaps to fill in for myself and that's the challenge I enjoy. Just thoughts from a beginner.

#6276720 - 07/11/18 01:08 AM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
Jonesie Offline
trapper

Loc: Monroeville NJ
It still may change more. Remember just because you stopped the discomposure, the batch may still change to where everything is stopped or fixed.
Rednecks Pride Outdoors pod cast

#6276832 - 07/11/18 06:47 AM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
Yes sir Offline
trapper

Thank you sir for that heads up.

#6276860 - 07/11/18 07:36 AM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
yukonal Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
From the time you fix it, until the time it is completely gassed off, the odor will change. Usually mellows somewhat.

#6277023 - 07/11/18 11:47 AM Re: Lure came out wrong?? [Re: Yes sir]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
The biggest factor for my food base stuff is to let it rot beyond the rank stage before it's fixed and other ingreds. are added. Only took 4 years LOL.. but it was always in shade witch takes longer than sun.

In your situation let it sit, like others stated it will change over time before it stays. Coyotes just might love the stuff. Test it and see...

Moderator:  tmrschessie