No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Did you ever wonder? #6277416
07/11/18 11:17 PM
07/11/18 11:17 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
If, when you apply for a job, why do they ask for your ethnic background, age and sex, if they do not discriminate?

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277418
07/11/18 11:20 PM
07/11/18 11:20 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Good point, no I haven't given it much thought till now.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277426
07/11/18 11:34 PM
07/11/18 11:34 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/reporting.cfm

The EEOC collects workforce data from employers with more than 100 employees (lower thresholds apply to federal contractors). Employers meeting the reporting thresholds have a legal obligation to provide the data; it is not voluntary. The data is collected using the reports below and is used for a variety of purposes including enforcement, self-assessment by employers, and research. Each of the reports collects data about gender and race/ethnicity by some type of job grouping. This information is shared with other authorized federal agencies in order to avoid duplicate collection of data and reduce the burden placed on employers. Although the data is confidential, aggregated data is available to the public.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277491
07/12/18 06:05 AM
07/12/18 06:05 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
So why not enter the data AFTER people are hired, then the claims of age/race/sex discrimination would be a little less likely. As I realize you can look at someone and still guess what they are. Just seems wrong to ask it on the application, should be on forms for those hired, if it is for statistics of who's working at a company

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277492
07/12/18 06:08 AM
07/12/18 06:08 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
seems everybody is throwin rocks and living in glass houses anymore.

Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6277512
07/12/18 06:45 AM
07/12/18 06:45 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
So why not enter the data AFTER people are hired, then the claims of age/race/sex discrimination would be a little less likely. As I realize you can look at someone and still guess what they are. Just seems wrong to ask it on the application, should be on forms for those hired, if it is for statistics of who's working at a company

I believe they do it before so they can determine how diverse the application pool is.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277557
07/12/18 08:23 AM
07/12/18 08:23 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Affirmative Action.......employers are required to hire a certain % from each ethnicity.....not the most qualified. Anything else is racist!!!!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: Gary Benson] #6277582
07/12/18 09:06 AM
07/12/18 09:06 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Gary Benson
Affirmative Action.......employers are required to hire a certain % from each ethnicity.....not the most qualified. Anything else is racist!!!!

Not true. Employers are encouraged to have a diverse group of qualified applicants. They are required to give equal opportunities of employment to applicants that are qualified. They are not required to hire a certain percentage of any race or ethnicity.

Affirmative action programs are governed by a number of overlapping laws. A common principle is that whether for admissions or employment, affirmative action programs such as targeted recruitment and goals are encouraged to remedy past effects of discrimination; quotas are disfavored. Affirmative action in American employment law has evolved through a series of governmental proclamations, court decrees, and voluntary programs instigated by employers in the private sector. Private employers who receive no public funding are not required to adopt affirmative action policies. Affirmative action policies are enforced by the entities adopting them if they are voluntary, while affirmative action policies required by government mandates can be enforced through the legal system.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/affirmative-action/

Last edited by DelawareRob; 07/12/18 09:18 AM.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277739
07/12/18 02:02 PM
07/12/18 02:02 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Affirmative action is a bad idea. It creates hate in the qualified people that are being passed over to hire the less qualified people. It creates a sense of entitlement in the less qualified people. It casts a shadow of incompetence on qualified minorities that get a job on their own merits. It puts people in jobs they are not as competent at doing as well as the people passed over. It sometimes puts people in jobs where they can sometimes cause grave harm to others.

When my father was getting his PHD in Chemistry he taught chemistry to medical students. He had 1 black student who failed the class, he was teaching, which would result in that student being expelled from medical school. My father was told by the head of the department to pass that black student anyway, because they wanted to graduate more black doctors. My father refused and told the head, that he could not in good conscience pass the black student who failed, because the student may make a mistake and later harm or kill patients. The head passed the student anyway and a few years after graduating the now black doctor lost his license for Malpractice after killing 3 patients, through his incompetence.

Affirmative action is racism and is harmful to society. It should be illegal.

Keith

Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: DelawareRob] #6277745
07/12/18 02:12 PM
07/12/18 02:12 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted By: DelawareRob
Originally Posted By: Gary Benson

Not true. Employers are encouraged to have a diverse group of qualified applicants. They are required to give equal opportunities of employment to applicants that are qualified. They are not required to hire a certain percentage of any race or ethnicity.

Affirmative action programs are governed by a number of overlapping laws. A common principle is that whether for admissions or employment, affirmative action programs such as targeted recruitment and goals are encouraged to remedy past effects of discrimination; quotas are disfavored. Affirmative action in American employment law has evolved through a series of governmental proclamations, court decrees, and voluntary programs instigated by employers in the private sector. Private employers who receive no public funding are not required to adopt affirmative action policies. Affirmative action policies are enforced by the entities adopting them if they are voluntary, while affirmative action policies required by government mandates can be enforced through the legal system.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/affirmative-action/

Rob that is not entirely true. If you are on certain jobs as a contractor or sub contractor you are required to have a percentage of minority workers. Your not encouraged to have them, you are required to have them or else.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: KeithC] #6277752
07/12/18 02:25 PM
07/12/18 02:25 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: KeithC
Affirmative action is a bad idea. It creates hate in the qualified people that are being passed over to hire the less qualified people. It creates a sense of entitlement in the less qualified people. It casts a shadow of incompetence on qualified minorities that get a job on their own merits. It puts people in jobs they are not as competent at doing as well as the people passed over. It sometimes puts people in jobs where they can sometimes cause grave harm to others.

When my father was getting his PHD in Chemistry he taught chemistry to medical students. He had 1 black student who failed the class, he was taking, which would result in that student being expelled from medical school. My father was told by the head of the department to pass that black student anyway, because they wanted to graduate more black doctors. My father refused and told the head, that he could not in good conscience pass the black student who failed, because the student may make a mistake and later harm or kill patients. The head passed the student anyway and a few years after graduating the now black doctor lost his license for Malpractice after killing 3 patients, through his incompetence.

Affirmative action is racism and is harmful to society. It should be illegal.

Keith

Keith, you are absolutely correct in what you have said.

My nephew went through training to become a state trooper. In a class of close to 80, he finished 6th. He was dropped down to the 20s because he was a white male with no military service. He took odd jobs bidding his time and waiting for a call for almost 3 years. Since he was married, he couldn't afford to wait any longer. He now drives a forklift in a warehouse loading trucks.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277758
07/12/18 02:33 PM
07/12/18 02:33 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Thanks for the clarification Osky,I looked a little closer and saw that. I don’t hire or work with federal contractors of subcontractors. I did see that of all places, California banned affirmative action in their state.

Racism should not be tolerated at all in the work force. I did see wording somewhere that was to the effect of. Racism and discrimination based on sex, age, race, religion, or sexual orientation won’t be tolerated, unless you are giving special treatment to minorities and women.
So certain people are treated more equally I guess.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: Trapper7] #6277785
07/12/18 03:59 PM
07/12/18 03:59 PM
Michigan
D
Dr.Wolfenstein Offline
trapper
Dr.Wolfenstein  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Same thing happened to me.Thirty years ago,I was in college under a special program for conservation officer.I was scored very high on the entrance exam and was put on a list.My professor took me aside and told me to persure another path.The program wasn't for me as I'm not the target audience.Your the wrong color,his words.

Re: Did you ever wonder? [Re: trapperkeck] #6277819
07/12/18 05:30 PM
07/12/18 05:30 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Tax incentives to hire certain minority's etc.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread