No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
OT insurance question ? #6280359
07/16/18 07:31 PM
07/16/18 07:31 PM
Minnesota
C
coonchaser Offline OP
trapper
coonchaser  Offline OP
trapper
C

Minnesota
I know some of you guys work in insurance. I have a question. So my lawn mower burned up the other day. They are going to cover it in full. My question is the mower was older and there is not an exact replacement for it. The one i have that burned was a liquid cooled model, the newer comparables are not. Would i be right to argue that or just take what i get ? Also the one that burned had a snowblower attachement, they said they would not cover that because it was not on the mower when it burned. My thought is that to make me whole again i would need a blower, the one i have will not fit another newer machine etc. I'm just curious if this is worth arguing or i just shut up and get what i get. Thanks fella's

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280363
07/16/18 07:34 PM
07/16/18 07:34 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Different states have many different policy terms, ect. Do you have Replacement or Actual Cash Value on the mower?

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280371
07/16/18 07:45 PM
07/16/18 07:45 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I would not hesitate to opine the question. Insurance is meant to put you, financially, back to where you were on the day of your loss. Not replacement of new value, in most cases.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280383
07/16/18 08:05 PM
07/16/18 08:05 PM
Minnesota
C
coonchaser Offline OP
trapper
coonchaser  Offline OP
trapper
C

Minnesota
It was insured for replacement cost value. That is kinda the problem, there is not a new comparable model or one that is liquid cooled, john deere changed their line up some. So if i get the new closest comparable, its not liquid and my blower does not fit it. That's kinda my question is how would a person work with that, i mean i'm getting a new mower but i'm out a blower etc.

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: trapperkeck] #6280443
07/16/18 09:19 PM
07/16/18 09:19 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
Insurance is meant to put you, financially, back to where you were on the day of your loss.

actually, it's meant to generate profit for the insurance company's investors.

(and there's NOTHING wrong with that!)

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: white marlin] #6280452
07/16/18 09:34 PM
07/16/18 09:34 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: white marlin
Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
Insurance is meant to put you, financially, back to where you were on the day of your loss.

There is if it is done at the expense of filling their obligations to their insureds.

To the OP, if you have reasonable requests then do not hesitate to document them as best you can and make demands of the insurance company. You won't get anywhere without at least making the demand.

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: white marlin] #6280453
07/16/18 09:37 PM
07/16/18 09:37 PM
Northern Ky
T
Thumb Catcher Offline
trapper
Thumb Catcher  Offline
trapper
T

Northern Ky
You shouldn't be limited to a John Deer if you stay within the Replacement Value, check Out Kubota or a brand of your choice you may not want to, but even if you have to come up with the difference you have that right. There responsibility is a financial one not as a sales person to resell you a John Deer I hope that makes sense.
There is a big difference from a John Deer sold ay s box store and one purchased from a dealer also, just saying.

Also on the snow blower that is a tuff call as it was not damaged. Same as a Hail storm hitting only one side of a house roof, I've seen it were the Ins co only pays for the one side.

Work with the adjuster and ask what amount they consider your current John Deer to be Valued at for replacement then I would recheck with a John Deer Dealer to make sure that is accurate also. After you get the check You can do what ever you want.

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280489
07/16/18 10:28 PM
07/16/18 10:28 PM
Minnesota
C
coonchaser Offline OP
trapper
coonchaser  Offline OP
trapper
C

Minnesota
all good points thanks fellas

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280491
07/16/18 10:32 PM
07/16/18 10:32 PM
Minnesota
C
coonchaser Offline OP
trapper
coonchaser  Offline OP
trapper
C

Minnesota
This has been an odd claim, i'll talk to them some more. But there has been no adjuster involved to deal with. They told me to take it to dealer and see if they could find cause of fire and if it was fixable or total loss. Its obviously a loss from my point but i take it in tomorrow. I'm not sold on a JD either i'll look around some

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: pass-thru] #6280557
07/17/18 05:37 AM
07/17/18 05:37 AM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Originally Posted By: white marlin

There is if it is done at the expense of filling their obligations to their insureds.

of course they must fulfill their legal (contractual) obligations!

but if you buy a $10,000 policy and suffer a $12,000 loss, guess what...

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280624
07/17/18 07:53 AM
07/17/18 07:53 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
In my opinion, the water-cooled feature needs to be replaced, just as it was on your mower that burned. I would discuss this with the dealer first and have them quote the replacement of your mower as the nearest possible replacement model which includes the water-cooled feature.

It's been a long time since I worked in insurance but I believe there is language in the standard HO-3 homeowners policy about property which has been made reduced in value due to loss of other damaged property, even though this property itself has not been physically damaged. (e.g. your blower attachment). YOU will need to study your policy and know for sure what should be covered before you talk to an insurance company representative. Most of the insurance claims adjusters don't know much about what the policies actually say - especially the ones that handle little claims like burned up lawn mowers. If you have an independent agent, ask him/her to show you in the policy where it says that your blower attachment is or isn't covered by this loss. If you don't have a good independent agent, you will have to read the policy for yourself.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: OT insurance question ? [Re: coonchaser] #6280631
07/17/18 08:03 AM
07/17/18 08:03 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
update: I just looked at the industry standard HO 00 03 homeowners policy. "Property Damage" is defined as: physical injury to, destruction of, or loss of use of tangible property. That means your blower attachment has experience "Property Damage" by virtue of its loss of use, even though there has been no physical injury to it.

Also look at condition D - "Loss to a Pair or Set"

I think you can make a good case for the blower being covered, too. That doesn't mean the insurance company will pay for it or give a cogent reason for why they won't, though.

Good luck to you!

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread