No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6284734
07/22/18 06:41 PM
07/22/18 06:41 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Boco thanks for you time it has been a 2 hour read in the summertime

Is the royalty $ 3.50 per beaver in Ontario?

I chocked when I saw Gibb’s posting his prices, seems I had one in that 2.50 range as well.

I saw some of those summertime nuisance pelts coming in. Grrrrrrr

Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6284761
07/22/18 07:28 PM
07/22/18 07:28 PM
Illinois
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper
ringtailtrapper  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Boco, the question in mainers document that refers to BMP's I think could be a major hiccup for some US trappers. The agreement concerning BMP's in the US was a far different agreement than what your country had. The BMP's were to be completed, and then disseminated amongst the different state DNR's, and dept. of wild life to implement into trapper education, and use as recommendations in conjunction with already standing regulations. We know that at this time some states made changes in regards to BMP's, and in most case BMP"s are now a large portion of trapper education programs.
The regulating process as been another matter, and that is because some wildlife agency thought that their regulation that were already in place were sufficient enough in regards to animal welfare. A state that come to mind is New Jersey, if BMP's would have been applied to trapping in that state, then Newt might of been able to own foot hold traps, and actually set them there as well. The BMP's in the US were developed, and are being taught, and in some cases applied within some regulations, but nothing not totally like in your country. We have a lot amore variable's in the lower 48 than within your country, and those variables is what makes it so difficult to have a one size fits all agreement, and that is were the individual states come into play, they are able by adapting to those variable's, and taking the best from the BMP"s, and coming up with regulations that fit the need of the resource within that state. The BMP agreement was never a document signed with the intent to regulate, because that is totally a state right issue, and well with in the constitutional rights of the individual states, so an agreement with EU asking for total compliance was a no go from the very start, and the EU knew this.

Everything these people are asking for is in place in a large part, but not completely, and with BMP's in the education pipe line, then at some point in regards to regulations the only thing that might be different will be those select variables in some states. We are right back to square one if a license trappers is shipping fur, then they have the address of the supplier, and if their license is current then there is the traceability, same with fur buyer's and their documents. I just get the feeling there is more to these question than just traceability, because I feel that if the auction houses spent so money on IT, and tossed out their old Commodore 64 computers like some have, then maybe this would not be such an issue.

Nafa, the old HBC, this company has a past history of doing whatever is needed to assure a profit, and sometimes in that history it has not all been good for trappers.

RTT

For Sale, Quality Racing Possums
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6284837
07/22/18 08:41 PM
07/22/18 08:41 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Excellent post, RTT! You've summed it up very well.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: Northof50] #6284876
07/22/18 09:04 PM
07/22/18 09:04 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Northof50
Boco thanks for you time it has been a 2 hour read in the summertime

Is the royalty $ 3.50 per beaver in Ontario?

I chocked when I saw Gibb’s posting his prices, seems I had one in that 2.50 range as well.

I saw some of those summertime nuisance pelts coming in. Grrrrrrr

In Canada certified trappers make good money on 2 and 4 dollar beaver that they are forced to trap. Must be the exchange rate.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Status of the International Fur Market [Re: pass-thru] #6285058
07/23/18 01:11 AM
07/23/18 01:11 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Quote:
The BMP's in the US were developed, and are being taught, and in some cases applied within some regulations, but nothing not totally like in your country. We have a lot amore variable's in the lower 48 than within your country, and those variables is what makes it so difficult to have a one size fits all agreement,

Geography matters. Boco's problem is that he thinks his geography should be transferable everywhere in Canada and the US. Wrong. But, at least I'll admit that different geographies have different conditions and issues.

P.S. What top hide is worth more per sq cm, a top end sable or a top end Western bobcat...?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread