No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Fishing Juneau road system #6286950
07/25/18 08:08 PM
07/25/18 08:08 PM
PA
Squaretimber Offline OP
trapper
Squaretimber  Offline OP
trapper

PA
My wife and I are leaving for Juneau on Friday and I would like to do some salmon fishing. I've read the special regulations listed on the adfg site but looking at the map I see alot of streams not listed by adfg. Do these streams not hold salmon? Are they open to sport fishing? It looks like Fish creek, the fish hatchery, or Gold creek might be good places to go if other places don't work out. I appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Re: Fishing Juneau road system [Re: Squaretimber] #6286968
07/25/18 08:36 PM
07/25/18 08:36 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
A few Alaskans are here but way more on the Wilderness Trapping forum, so I’d probably re-post there. I would also call the Alaska fish/game district office which you are considering.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Fishing Juneau road system [Re: Squaretimber] #6287023
07/25/18 09:34 PM
07/25/18 09:34 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Few if any fish in Gold cr. Fish Creek has salmon. Out the road, Cowee Creek has good coho, late August and September. Salmon Creek has, well, salmon.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Fishing Juneau road system [Re: Squaretimber] #6287029
07/25/18 09:39 PM
07/25/18 09:39 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I have fished that area, but it has been awhile. Sheep cr., south of town, was loaded with Chums when I was there(late August). The Pinks were nearly done there, but were thick yet in Fish cr. on the north end of Douglas Island. I landed a couple nice Kings in Fish cr. also. Both were hatchery fish, as they were fin clipped. I mounted one of them. the other I ate. I cut the mini tags out of each fishes head and sent them to the fisheries biologist. he was stunned that I even was able to find them. The recommended shipping the whole head to them. I also walked back into Windfall lake, north of town. It was a 3-4 mile hike through some neat country. I caught Cutthroats in the outlet stream(small pan-sized fish). There were reported to be Sockeyes spawning in the inlet stream to Windfall, but the wind was howling and my buddy and I gave up trying to paddle the big aluminum boat across the lake with the only "oars" we found....planks laying by the boat on shore. If you go way up to the north end of the road to Cowee cr. you may find some Coho. Be advised....my Juneau pal had a real horrendously scary night up there 2-3 weeks ago....he nearly got munched by a Brown bear. He used to work for Game and Fish in some real dicey bear country, and has a bunch of bear stories, yet this last encounter was the closest he came to being mauled. He was genuinely scared zzitless and actually had the conscious thought "so this is how its going to end". He lucked out totally.

Re: Fishing Juneau road system [Re: Squaretimber] #6287648
07/26/18 08:20 PM
07/26/18 08:20 PM
PA
Squaretimber Offline OP
trapper
Squaretimber  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Thanks everyone. Brown bears near Juneau. I've read that this was rare, now I'm wondering if I should buy some spray

Re: Fishing Juneau road system [Re: Squaretimber] #6288070
07/27/18 10:47 AM
07/27/18 10:47 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
They have become more common the last several years. A couple in the Tee Harbor area, as well as Peterson Creek. Cowee is excellent habitat, and they have been in that area for quite a while.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Fishing Juneau road system [Re: Squaretimber] #6288090
07/27/18 11:13 AM
07/27/18 11:13 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan